Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to beat a dead horse, but here's actual confirmation directly from the VP of marketing at Triumph:

I’m sorry you’re having difficulty getting a clear answer from our dealers! The truth is that they’re all correct! Depending on the model, model year, etc. the Bonnevilles in your local dealership may have been assembled in either England or Thailand. There’s no difference at all between bikes assembled in the two locations as they are all assembled from the same parts.

Until last year, all of our bikes were assembled in Hinckley, but we ran out of capacity at our factory there. We we’re unable to add capacity at our UK plant for several reasons, so we added an assembly facility near our parts factory in Thailand. We began assembling some of our twin-cylinder bikes there late last year so depending when they
were built, the bikes in your local dealership could have been built in either England or Thailand.

Regardless of where it was assembled, you’ll find that the quality, fit, finish, and everything else is exactly the same.

Thank you for your interest,

Todd Andersen
Vice President, Marketing
Triumph Motorcycles (America), Ltd.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I don't know Man.................
There's just some thing about Triumph and Thailand
That just don't go together.
All I can say is I'm glad mine was assembled England.
Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
So when was the start date of this change? My Scrambler was produced in 01/06 so I'm guessing its a Hinckley bike... I know the quality is the same and all, but I like the though of it being produced in England better.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2007-01-16 12:30, bonnevillebilly wrote:
There's just some thing about Triumph and Thailand
That just don't go together.
If this were two different companies using individual specs, qc etc, maybe so. Nostalgia is sweet, but if we held out for the old Triumph to produce only from Meridian, probably wouldn't be many of us riding Bonnies.

Or are you saying it would be better that Triumph not produce so many Bonnies, to keep this model unique? Its not a collectors thing to me, so I'd like to see them produce and sell plenty more.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I had a hard time excepting the new Triumphs when the
(NAME) Triumph came back. They really did nothing for me.
Until they came out with a twin and called it a Bonneville.
It was love at first site. If they where being made in Thailand
There is no way I would of bought one. I would be riding
a Harley. And yes I would like to keep them unique I
would not like to see them every where I go.
Bill

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2007-01-16 14:24, bonnevillebilly wrote:
And yes I would like to keep them unique I
would not like to see them every where I go.
If Triumph were to artificially restrict the number of Bonnie's produced, the model would go the way of Norton or Indian. I love that new Norton, and would love to see them in production, but $15k is sure steep.

I had a hard time paying $8k for a Bonnie (actually found a demo for less, but thats not the point). While a limited number, and more expensive Bonnie would sell, it wouldn't sustain the model.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I enjoy my bike's British heritage, but I have no problem with them being made in Thailand too.

Heck, Triumph was founded by a German, and the first Triumph motorcycle had a Belgian engine. You can look it up. Internationalism is part of the pedigree.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Made in England means much,i would have had second thoughts if my bike was made elsewhere.

Are Harley Davidsons made anywhere but USA ???

:-g

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
On 2007-01-16 18:57, MotoSayle wrote:
Made in England means much,i would have had second thoughts if my bike was made elsewhere.

Are Harley Davidsons made anywhere but USA ???
Now I'm not sure if you are kidding or not...though the bikes are assembled in [insert country name here] components for Harleys, Triumphs, etc are sourced from manufacturers all over the world.

My Hinckley Triumph came standard with Keihin carbs, a Kayaba fork, and Nissin brakes. The Behr wheels are German, the NGK plugs and wires Japanese...and I'm sure that other parts are similarly international. But last I looked the soul of the bike is British. :)

Believe me, I enjoy the romance of the British bike, but I think there are few complex manufactured objects that can claim pure national pedigrees anymore.

I'm not sure what the deep implications of this are.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On 2007-01-16 12:24, JAXTRIUMPHGUY wrote:
Hate to beat a dead horse, but here's actual confirmation directly from the VP of marketing at Triumph:

I’m sorry you’re having difficulty getting a clear answer from our dealers! The truth is that they’re all correct! Depending on the model, model year, etc. the Bonnevilles in your local dealership may have been assembled in either England or Thailand. There’s no difference at all between bikes assembled in the two locations as they are all assembled from the same parts.

Until last year, all of our bikes were assembled in Hinckley, but we ran out of capacity at our factory there. We we’re unable to add capacity at our UK plant for several reasons, so we added an assembly facility near our parts factory in Thailand. We began assembling some of our twin-cylinder bikes there late last year so depending when they
were built, the bikes in your local dealership could have been built in either England or Thailand.

Regardless of where it was assembled, you’ll find that the quality, fit, finish, and everything else is exactly the same.

Thank you for your interest,

Todd Andersen
Vice President, Marketing
Triumph Motorcycles (America), Ltd.

It's amazing to me how some people will go right to the build quality issue.

It's 2007, we all expect that anything made by a major manufacturer is of high quality and the expectations that go with it are fulfilled.

I expect the same reliability from my GM 3/4 ton Crew Cab as I do my BMW 550i. They are for obviously different applications and I don't want either of them failing on the road.

The fact that Triumph is building the Bonneville in Thailand is NOT about the build quality. It's about the brand image that Triumph has been marketing to all of us. A brand image the majority of us bought into.

The fact is that Triumph has sold us all out on this. The brand has been diminished regardless of build quality.

Here's a hypothetical: For those of us with Hinckley bikes; If it were possible to instantly change the build designation to Thailand with the snap of your fingers, how many of you would do that?

Now reverse it; How many with Thailand built bikes would change the build designation to Hinckley if they could?

I'd like to see the poll statistics on that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
seen soooooooo many posts on this, but must weigh in.

Glad my Bonnie is made in England, but. . .we must all get used to the fact that globalization - and with it a wide disparity in labor and distribution costs - forces manufacturers to find the most cost effective solutions.

Here in the U.S., Toyota plants are springing up all over - now, does that stop me from thinking that Toyota's are Japanese cars? No. I'm just glad Americans are getting the jobs.

Thus, a Triumph put together by Thais with British supervision would not freak me out, nor prevent me from thinking my Bonnie was British.

Or how about the VW's put together in Mexico??

Lastly, this sort of thread will NEVER have the "silver bullet" answer, so I guess we'll all just have our wallets follow our hearts.

ride on

rick

·
Registered
744 Posts
While we must get used to globalization, has any one noticed that when things are outsoursed to other countries due to lower costs, the cost savings are not passed on? The British and Thi Triumphs are the same price.
The day of $1.35 to make shoes selling for the same $35 to 50 have been here for a long time.
cliff

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Companies make cost saving decisions to make them more profitable. Any "We pass the savings on to you" they may say is pure marketing! Publicly held companies especially are always accountable to their stock holders. I like my Bonneville, and I am in the minority on the road riding a "British built" bike, but as long as they build a quality product at a fair price I don't care who turns the wrench. 20 years ago I bought a new American Ford truck assembled in Canada!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2007-01-17 06:38, rick05rocket wrote:
Or how about the VW's put together in Mexico??
Uh, your not helping here man. ;) Wait, I guess the bug was always at best, a crappy car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just a guess here, but I would think it would be pretty easy to determine which bikes were assembled where by the VIN number.

VIN Number

I could be wrong of course, but according to the link, bikes manufactured in the UK would have "SM" in the VIN and bikes manufactured in Thailand would have ML-MR.

If country of origin is a concern, ensure to check the VIN prior to ordering, or make it a condition of sale if the bike is not present.

The only way I believe to stop or limit the imports from Thailand would be to attack the manufacturer in the wallet. Don't buy the bike if it's made in Thailand and somehow publicize this. Any group action like this would be difficult to do as many don't really care where the bike was manufactured or are ignorant of the fact until after the sale.

Triumph manufacturing complete bikes in Thailand for export to the US market is now a fact. The manufacturing of bikes in Thailand may never change due to the cost of start-up and savings gained in cheap-labor, but although unlikely, we may be able to affect the distribution of the bike to the US market. Highly unlikely though as the American (our) attention span and resolve seems not to be very long.

Just my 2 zloty.

Regards,

Tom

·
Banned
774 Posts
I think if people stopped buying Bonnys because they are made in Thailand then Triumph would simply drop the model(s). They'd probably start producing Sprints and S3's there. They certainly aren't going to stop and close the factory.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
regarding this thread
1 If H-D were to even suggest they were going to assemble scoots outside the USA 1776 would be a SMALL Tea Party.
2 Dr E is correct Siegfried Bettman was the original founder of the Triumph Motorcycyle Co in London in 1885. The company was moved to Coventry in approx 1888. He was also the mayor of Coventry from 1913-1914 and President of the British Motorcycle Manufacturers Assoc from 1928-1929.
3 Triumph outsourced parts 25 years ago from foreign country's INCLUDING the USA
4 RE VWs made in Mexico. I don't think the Mexican Beetle was ever LEGALLY exported to the states(I could be wrong)
5 My opinion if production capacity was the problem Triumph could have had a flood. NO ONE suspects a flood fires are always suspect. Labor is MUCH CHEAPER in Thailand than Hinckley.
6 To my old buddy pal
I'm tired of your bragging bout all the stuff you own and your trophy bride. Why dont you give the guy in Ga a job?
Arent you a mutimilionare and a CEO of 3 International company's
Got my old car in driveway is you truck in garage? Cant have a truck parked in a good neighborhood can you? :-D

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-01-18 07:16 ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts