Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had to destroy the top compression ring to remove from one of my pistons, I had no choice but to get a new replacement set of rings for both pistons. So I got a set of Hastings (18-89400RH) for my '77 T140V. Immediately observable is that the oil control ring is quite different from the OEM style. The OEM has the convoluted ring, while the Hastings is two rings welded together with occassional spacers and no convoluted ring.
Is this now the best oil control ring technology? Curious mind needs to know.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Does it have a spring that pushes the ring out?

I fitted Harris rings a couple of thousand miles ago that sound similiar to yours but they had a spring that pushed the ring out. If fact it pushed so hard I couldn't belive it was right and I asked on the forum if this was ok and was assured it was. The rings appeared to have bedded in fine and oil consumption is effectively nil and that was with bores that were on the upper limit ( but not tapered or oval)and piston on the minimum!!

Make sure you gap the rings as per the Triumph manual and fit the rings the correct way up (mine had instructions with them) and hone the bores with 180grit. I rode the bike fairly normally to bed them in, just don't labour or rev the nuts of it for the first 500 to 1000 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. The oil ring is just two rings separated by 6 welded-on spacers. Nothing but clear space between the spacers.

Hone with 180 grit, really???? Isn't that kind of too rough? I was going to use 300 grit and thought that might be too rough! Hmmm...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anybody here seen these oil control rings that I'm talking about? I can't be the only one using Hastings on a T140V.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If any help, when I researched pistons & rings I found many people recommended Riken rings as superior to Hastings, which seem not very well thought of where T140 fitment is concerned.

I got Riken rings from Tri-Cor (UK). A little more expensive but they look nicely made and have a good reputation. They are made in Japan, not in Korea, Taiwan, China or India!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I see that this is an old thread, but i am up against the same issue as the OP. The Hastings I received are like what he described, no spring. The old rings have the spring as part of the bottom ring assembly. Are these new ones ok? It looks like Hastings is part of Emgo now. Mine are .060 over if that matters. I haven't installed them yet .
What do you guys think?

MM

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Has anybody here seen these oil control rings that I'm talking about? I can't be the only one using Hastings on a T140V.
I obtained a set of Hastings rings about a month ago from The Bonneville Shop and they are cast iron. The rings that came off my .020 over pistons were chrome molly and the oil ring was a 3 piece ring. The Hastings replacement oil ring is a single ring with two surface areas that meet with the cylinder wall. The engine is totally back together but I still need to connect up the gas tank. I was told to use a 240 grit flex hone by Hastings....Gary

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm not using one piece oil rings anymore as some I've used lost a lot of cylinder tension quickly and started blowing smoke.

Last lot of oil control rings I fitted were 3 piece "cord rings" to my T120, made by Federal Mogul.

Also 3 piece in my T160 (OEM HEPOLITE)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I used a set of German made Goetze rings in my '71 Bonneville. The bore was still within 'STD' spec. so it was lightly honed and the new rings gapped and installed. They have a 'one piece' oil rings and so far, I have no problem with smoke in the exhaust or excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Nope. The oil ring is just two rings separated by 6 welded-on spacers. Nothing but clear space between the spacers.
I think you're looking at a one-piece cast iron scraper, with top and bottom bore contact faces and slots around the middle section.

Hone with 180 grit, really???? Isn't that kind of too rough? I was going to use 300 grit and thought that might be too rough! Hmmm...
180 is usually recommended for cast iron rings in a cast iron air cooled (distortion prone) Brit bike cylinder. I've had rings bed in well after a rougher hone than that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Goetze and Federal Mogul is the same company ( FM owns Goetze name ).
I have these rings installed in my Trident now, and they have a spring under the oil ring.
I'm surprised Pharisee you don't have the spring under oil ring :

I'm not very fond about one piece cast iron rings either.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I'm not using one piece oil rings anymore as some I've used lost a lot of cylinder tension quickly and started blowing smoke.

Last lot of oil control rings I fitted were 3 piece "cord rings" to my T120, made by Federal Mogul.

Also 3 piece in my T160 (OEM HEPOLITE)
Rev, where did you get the 3 piece oil rings from?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Thank you for that Marc, but I'd rather not have to machine the grooves to fit rings.
I can source 71 x 4mm wide 3 piece rings locally but the grooves are for 1/8" rings so I'd have to open the grooves up from 3.175 to 4mm and I'd prefer to just pull the pistons, swap in the right size 3 piece rings and be good to go.

davy

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Thank you for that Marc, but I'd rather not have to machine the grooves to fit rings.
I can source 71 x 4mm wide 3 piece rings locally but the grooves are for 1/8" rings so I'd have to open the grooves up from 3.175 to 4mm and I'd prefer to just pull the pistons, swap in the right size 3 piece rings and be good to go.

davy
They make custom stuff reasonably priced. I would check and see if they have or can make what you need without modifying the piston if you can't find what you want already out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts