Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all Scrambler owners, I would like to hear from anyone who has put true street tires (such as the stock Metzelers that the factory puts on a new Bonneville or Truxton) on their Scrambler. I would like to know how the ride (vibration level, steering, etc.) compares with the stock Bridgestone tires on the Scrambler, as well as why you made the switch, and what street tire brand you selected. Thanks for all replies. :???:

T

·
0 Posts
On 2006-11-27 17:33, Scrambler900 wrote:
To all Scrambler owners, I would like to hear from anyone who has put true street tires (such as the stock Metzelers that the factory puts on a new Bonneville or Truxton) on their Scrambler. I would like to know how the ride (vibration level, steering, etc.) compares with the stock Bridgestone tires on the Scrambler, as well as why you made the switch, and what street tire brand you selected. Thanks for all replies. :???:
Hi, I have changed the tires on my Scrambler to those fitted to the Bonneville i.e. Bridgestone BT 45 100/90-19 front and BT 45 130/80 -17 Rear. This has got rid of the vibration created by the tread pattern of the standard Scrambler tires and reduced the noise as well. The handling is virtually the same, both cornering and right up to top speed in a straight line. It has not affected its off road ability as it didnt have any, anyway! :) I did try another set of tyres i.e. Metzeler ME 880 Marathon 100/90-19 front and 140/80-17, looked good but didnt suit the bike, felt strange in the corners and started to weave dramatically at about 90mph, not fun.
So if anybody would like to buy a set of Metzelers with less than 50 miles on them get in touch.(tires now sold, thanks Greg)

[ This message was edited by: Teen on 2006-11-28 18:59 ]

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was actually thinking going more Knobby like the Misson Impossible bike, As is I like it but I do have alot of fireroads in my area.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am strongly considering a more aggessive street tire for my Scrambler. No need for anything knobby as it will never go off-road. I heard the Avons (ST 45 & 46) are also a good choice. I am also looking for something a little more beefy in the back - maybe a 140 or 150. My only concern is how the bigger tire will work - wondering if your 140 was the cause of the high speed wobble.

T

·
0 Posts
On 2006-11-28 14:13, tri650 wrote:
I am strongly considering a more aggessive street tire for my Scrambler. No need for anything knobby as it will never go off-road. I heard the Avons (ST 45 & 46) are also a good choice. I am also looking for something a little more beefy in the back - maybe a 140 or 150. My only concern is how the bigger tire will work - wondering if your 140 was the cause of the high speed wobble.
Sorry I dont know wether it was the rear tire, the front tire or both which created the weave problem, it was bad though. :???:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. When I need to replace my stock Bridgestones, I think I will go for the Metzeler "Lazertek" tires, which comes stock on the front of the Bonneville and Truxton models.

N

·
0 Posts
Teen thanks for the tires I have put them on yesterday and road about 100 miles. I have not noticed the problem you had. Thanks again it was a good buy in my opinion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
:hammer: I still say the bike is a blast off road, No it wont match my RM250 but at a fair pace it holds its own, Has to better than the BMW due to size, I think with a little more knobby is might not plow as much, My worry is in the street, Right now she moves along good with the stockers but I have ridden knobby shod bikes in the street and they got real loose as moderate pace, Hmmm Does anybody have any ideas if there is a tire just one notch up?I live in the Southern California Desert, Where this bike came from....

·
Registered
404 Posts
My dealer has a deal on Lazertecs, but I was actually thinking about a more aggressive tire - Michelin Sport, etc. I am talking with him today to see what other options are available. I still want to go a little bigger in the back, although I read somewhere that when someone went to a 150 the handling got a little shakey.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just got off the phone with my dealer - I ordered a set of Pirelli Sport Demons for the Scrambler - and I went with a 140 in the rear. I am getting them mounted next week and will give a road report once the snow and ice melts.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am very happy with the set of Metzler Tourances on mine (I also use them on the Tiger). They last a long time, improved (IMHO) the handling of the Scrambler (especially at highway speeds), and I can still take the bike on modest off road excursions which I am wont to do.

Fred

S

·
0 Posts
I agree about the Metzler Tourances. They work much better (stick) on wet pavement and steel bridge decks here in the rainy northwest. They also are better on gravel roads than the bridgstones.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm a fan of the Tourances, also. I had my dealer replace the Bridgestones before I finished signing the paperwork. I just hated the way they howled on pavement. The Tourances are much quieter and perform better on most surfaces, IMO.

I also like the TKC80's, but those are applicable to this thread! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts