Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for any threads regarding this subject, searched YouTube (found Street Twin videos), Googled my question and cannot find anyone that has painted the chrome bezel and brushed aluminum dash of their T120, Street Cup or Thruxty. The chrome is out of place on my 2020 T120 Ace and I want to go black. Any suggestions? Any examples? Thank you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same thoughts
I’m thinking I’m going to remove mine and have them powder coated black
I wonder if there is a viable way to get the trim rings off without damaging the entire thing...I would just paint them then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same thoughts
I’m thinking I’m going to remove mine and have them powder coated black
Have you figured out how to remove the chrome bezel/brushed aluminum bracket? I went out to the shop and tried again. No luck and I am afraid of breaking my gauges.

·
Registered
1975 T160 Trident
196 Posts
Hi Celticages,

Steve here. I was the one that was working on repairing my gauges because I had a cracked speedo lens on my '17 Street Cup. Since then, I have taken them all apart and can answer your question...

The bezel is held on with a little rubber cement (at least that's what it looks like) AND it snaps over the black plastic part below it. I used a small plastic screwdriver used for taking apart an iPhone, it looks like a plastic putty knife. Anyway, I got the two bezels off without incident. I just worked the plastic screwdrivers under the edges, a little at a time, at 12 o'clock, then 6 o'clock, and they came off.

Then, the brushed aluminum bracket is held on with only two screws. The one is visible right on top and the second one is under the tiny Triumph emblem. That can be removed with a razor blade. Be careful, it is sheet metal, and the edges are sub-flush to the top surface of the bracket. Just don't "dig" under the emblem. It too, is held in place with a blob of rubber cement. Once the two screws are out, the brushed aluminum bracket comes right off.

If it would be helpful, I could photograph what I'm talking about.

I'm in the midst of replacing my cracked lens with a glass one, and am machining out the remaining broken bits of the lens, which is glued into the black plastic frame.

Good luck,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Celticages,

Steve here. I was the one that was working on repairing my gauges because I had a cracked speedo lens on my '17 Street Cup. Since then, I have taken them all apart and can answer your question...

The bezel is held on with a little rubber cement (at least that's what it looks like) AND it snaps over the black plastic part below it. I used a small plastic screwdriver used for taking apart an iPhone, it looks like a plastic putty knife. Anyway, I got the two bezels off without incident. I just worked the plastic screwdrivers under the edges, a little at a time, at 12 o'clock, then 6 o'clock, and they came off.

Then, the brushed aluminum bracket is held on with only two screws. The one is visible right on top and the second one is under the tiny Triumph emblem. That can be removed with a razor blade. Be careful, it is sheet metal, and the edges are sub-flush to the top surface of the bracket. Just don't "dig" under the emblem. It too, is held in place with a blob of rubber cement. Once the two screws are out, the brushed aluminum bracket comes right off.

If it would be helpful, I could photograph what I'm talking about.

I'm in the midst of replacing my cracked lens with a glass one, and am machining out the remaining broken bits of the lens, which is glued into the black plastic frame.

Good luck,
Steve (aka Sullivs) This is exactly the information I needed. I may leave the brushed aluminum bit alone but will make that decision when I get the bezels painted. So...just to clarify...the chrome bezels around the actual gauges are merely glued on and can be gently removed without removing the brushed aluminum “dash”? Thank you and good luck with your repair....this was great information ?

·
Registered
1975 T160 Trident
196 Posts
Hi Celticages,

Yes, you have it right. You can remove the chrome rings without fooling with the brushed aluminum dash, or the two tiny screws, too. I've attached a few pics of mine all apart. The two rings actually snap onto the black plastic frame, and don't hang onto the brushed aluminum dash at all. There are three indents (I tried to photograph one of them) around the periphery of each chrome ring. On the speedo side, the indents are at 1, 5 and 9 o'clock. On the tachometer, they are at 3, 7 and 11 o'clock.

Once you pry one up a bit, and it pops free of the indent, you will see what I'm talking about. Here is a pic of the two plastic pry bars I used. They are only about four inches long. I've seen tiny plastic tools like this at the local auto parts stores for removing chrome trim.

The three indents on each ring exhibit moderate force, but not enough that you would damage it or make it so you could not snap it back together. As a matter of fact, now that I have mine off, I don't really know what the purpose of the rubber cement actually was. They are not "sealed" onto the plastic frame or the aluminum dash.

Good luck and let me know how things work out.
Speedo Trim Rings.jpg
Indent.jpg
Plastic Pry Tools.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve! Thank you so much! I will get to work on this ASAP. This is the exact information I had been searching for months. I have one of those spudging tools from a phone repair and will probably get another. Were you able to save the Triumph logo from the center of the brushed aluminum dash? I will come back and post the results here.

·
Registered
1975 T160 Trident
196 Posts
Yes, I was able to remove the Triumph logo without damaging it. If you only want to remove the two rings, then you don't need to remove either the logo or the two tiny cap screws. If you want to remove the brushed aluminum dashboard, then you have to take off the logo, and the screw below it.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts