Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I had the zaniest thought: Has anyone on here taken their Bonneville on the track? Ive seen old school BMWs and Thruxtons on the track at Buttonwillow, but curious if anyone has taken a Bonnie out considering the ergos are completley different to the Thruxton.

Just to give you a small background about myself...I ride track regularly, but do it on my Daytona 675. I was thinking I can tear it up pretty well on some tight roads on my Bonnie and I would like to find out the limits of the Bonnie.

So if anyone on here has done it, please chime in. I would like to hear your experiences and suggestions if I do track it. A list of questions I have for those that have done it:

When, what track, what organization?

Anything that I should upgrade before venturing out there with the Bonnie?

How will the stock tires perform on the track?

The stock pea shooters pipes are dangerous for me as is because of lean angles I can do on the Bonnie. Ive leaned it over so hard that when the mufflers make contact with the street it jolts me back upright. What exhaust do you recommend I change to avoid having that problem?

The rearsets on the Bonnie are so low. What rearsets are recommended where they are higher to allow for more lean angle? And are they adjustable?

How is brake fade at the track? Would I really need to upgrade my whole brake system (floating rotors, better pads, different caliper, etc).

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Not yet but I'm booked onto the Nurburgring last week of October so I'll let you know :D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I've done several track-days.
Only at this place: http://www.rudskogen.no/

You can do the track with a totally stock bike - no problem.
The pegs will scrape long before the mufflers will, so you don't need anything upswept. Maybe you need other mufflers if you have rear-pegs - I don't know.

The stock tyres (I've done trackdays both on Bridgestone and Mezteler) are fine. As soon as you have warmed them up, you can lean over lots. There is no chicken-strip left on mine :cool:

The brake and suspension are the two weakest links in the chain. My bike has much better suspension, and that helps alot. If you want to be aggressive, you probably also want to upgrade the brakes.

Go out there and do it! It sure is fun.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I haven't been for one on my Scrambler. Mind you i'd have to change the pipes back to stock for that as the tors don't pass the noise restrictions for our track days. A friend of mine went on his first track day on his Ninja and was overtaken by a bloke on a Thruxton who he said was really going for it. You could get your photo from the day and my mate sent me the sample of the guy on his Thrux. Don't know whether it was anyone here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Absolutely you could do a track day. It would be fun. My dealer does 2 track days a year and I could take the Bonnie. One guy has a Thrux totally done up for track and it is pretty cool.

I am not going to take my Bonnie on the track because I have a TT600 for that but you could.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts