Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trading my 2004 Yamaha FZ1 on a Bonneville. In this weather I would have to trailer my bike 70 miles each way to make the deal. I would try to get a ballpark figure before I set out on my way.

Just wondered if anyone had dealings with Pete's, and if so, do you feel they would stand by their word and would you know a person to contact?

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Some people like Pete's, some don't.

Also consider Fredericktown Yamaha/Triumph in Frederick MD, a small family-run dealer which just happens to carry the two brands in question.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Thinking of trading my 2004 Yamaha FZ1 on a Bonneville. In this weather I would have to trailer my bike 70 miles each way to make the deal. I would try to get a ballpark figure before I set out on my way.

Just wondered if anyone had dealings with Pete's, and if so, do you feel they would stand by their word and would you know a person to contact?
Seniorbiker, my wife and I were on our vacation, in 2007. We stopped in Pete's to pick up some Pete's Triumph shirts. They had signs up about having their open house. The open house was for the up coming weekend we were there on a Tuesday. They had some close out HJC Helmets. There was an additional 10% off for anything purchased during the open house. As we were going to be in Oceancity, MD that weekend I asked if they would give me the additional 10%,:) they did. They seemed like good people to do business with. My two cents.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Bike deals

Couple of things to remember:
1. You will get more from your bike if you sell it yourself, the dealer is looking for a profit from your trade in and will low ball it for that reason.
2. When dealing with the person making the deal, do your homework and find out what the bike goes for to the dealer. Go to:http://buy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_to_Buy_a_New_Motorcycle
and here:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Knowledge-is-Power-When-Buying-a-New-Motorcycle&id=132259
for some helpful hints for your buying experience.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Haven't dealt with Pete's, but I got a much better deal on my new 2008 Bonnie from Frederickstown Yamaha/Triumph than was offered by Clinton Cycles in MD. Also, I sold my 2005 Sporty privately rather than doing a trade-in after the local Harley dealer offered me much less than I was able to sell it for to a friend. I've always done better separating the sale of the old vehicle from the purchase of the new one. In the case of the Sporty, I sold it for more than Harley was offering me and less than she would have paid Harley for a used one -- a win/win.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pete's Cycle in Baltimore is an outstanding dealership. I bought my '07 Bonnie from Gary Manning in January 07, and they gave me a fair price, e.g., knocked a little off MSRP.

the service department is excellent. the service manager and mechanics are VERY knowledgeable about Bonnies and Triumph's across the board.

I had order aftermarket pipes and had them sent to Pete's for installation. The service manager himself worked with me to remove AI, etc. and make necessary adjustments to carb settings, etc., in order to retune the bike to work optimally with the new pipes.

They subsequently handled routine service very well, and also did great troubleshooting on a stall/hesitation issue, which they fixed under warranty.

I highly recommend them for sales and service.

ride on

rick

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good luck getting a good deal there, I'd run, not walk, over to fredericktown triumph. Good mechanics and you can get a decent deal. Not much to look at, but I think its a step up from clinton cycles basement showroom (they have never impressed me).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Long time lurker (years), first post on this forum...

Bought my '04 T100 in '04 from Gary. Nice guy but doesn't seem to be too willing to deal.

About a year and a half later, I was interested in purchasing an '06 Nomad. I went back to Gary figuring I'm a returning customer, deal on the Bonneville went well (cash) and no problems.

Gary couldn't/wouldn't match the price I was quoted at Cycle World. Pete's missed a cash sale.

Early this year I got the hots for a Gold Wing ABS, Nav, Comfort package. Told Gary what I wanted and he quoted me list price. Discounts on the GW abound on the 'net. For the heck of it I checked a Honda dealer 5 minutes from the house thinking if they came within $500 of one of the internet power dealers, then it would be a wash as there would be no travel costs and it would be local dealer. The local dealer gave me a price that was better than the best internet price I could find. Gary again couldn't/wouldn't deal and Pete's again lost another cash deal.

When I took the Bonneville in for a check up, I stood at the unmanned service counter counter for a few minutes when a tech came in, checked something on the computer then left. ***, not even a "have you been helped?, I'll get you someone to help you."

I had to go upstairs to the sales floor to get Gary to get a service writer for me. No complaints about the work but it was pretty simple and would have been hard to screw up.

The one bright spot at the Baltimore location is Elton at the parts counter if he's still there. He's very good, no errors on my special orders, calls when he promises. In my experience, he's the best one there.

Problems? Not really, I guess. They just don't seem to want to deal and many lack "people skills."

About the only time I go to Pete's anymore is when they have their 20% off days once or twice a year.

That's been my experience with Pete's

Sold the Nomad -nice machine but I had high speed buffeting on the helmet due the windshield. Played with the windshield but never could get rid of it.

Still have the Bonneville and love it for what it is - simple and straight forward.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Jim

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
They just don't seem to want to deal and many lack "people skills."
That sums it up pretty well.

I went in there intending to come out with a Bonneville. I and my rider friend were ignored, then jerked around when we started asking questions, as if we were making nuisances of ourselves, so we left. I called Fredericktown, Pete's lost a sale.

I might add that we are friendly middle-aged guys with checkbooks, not young squids with nothing but attitude.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my experience:

was at pete's the other day browsing bonnevilles. it was like i was a ghost. I sat on some bikes and then left without anyone even saying a word to me. not sure if that is good or bad, but it wasn't like it was a busy day.

clinton cycles: gave me a good deal on my tiger1050. gave me a pretty good price on my tradein as they love to take used bikes in(especially sportbikes) and pay pretty well for them. aso i have heard bad things about their service, but they have done me pretty well, even getting triumph to replace my entire clutch assembly. took triumph a while to ship the part, but clinton got it put back together fast after the part arrived. they will probably get close to any deal you can find on triumphs(depending of course on their stock).

·
Registered
10,211 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought from fredericktowne...I like Kyle..but if it were me..I'd run to an actual Triumph dealer. Not a yamaha dealer who happens to sell triumphs.

check out capitol area triumph in Highspire pa...great staff..great mechanics..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Drove from Phila last year to pick up my leftover 07 Thruxton. The guys in Manayunk couldn't get ahold of one so I made the drive. The experience was fine and they followed through on their word to refund for the TORS I had ordered because they were flawed.

As of last year they had the most extensive stock of Triumph stuff I've ever seen. All the t-shirts, jackets, and other gear that you see in the catalog.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I started looking for a motorcycle back in early November. A friend recommended Pete's after buy his sport bike from them. I went with no intention of buying anything, just wanting to look. I walked in and was greeted within just a few minutes. I started talking to Jeff who began asking what type of bike I was looking for. I told him right up front that I had no intention on buying anything that day. He answered all my questions and let me look and sit on anything I wanted. I knew right away after sitting on the 09 America that I had found my bike. We just started casually talking about the price. After crunching some numbers we came to an agreement only to realize they had made a mistake. The America was listed as an 08 with the 08 price. They had already knocked off almost $1,200.00 from teh sticker price. They said the mistake was theirs and would honor the price they told me for the 09. We started the paperwork right then and their. I live almost 2 1/2 hours from them. I received a call this week that my tags were being mailed to me so that I would not have to drive that far just to pick them up. I have been very pleased with my entire experience and 09 Triumph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my Bonnie Black from there in August. I was pleased with the transaction. I know they still have some '08's marked down. I think mine was $6800 with no dealer prep, just tax and tags. They followed up with the purchase by phone and mail. If forgot the guys name I dealt with but he's the younger of the guys with a desk in the middle of the showroom and he is pretty big too, hard to miss. I'll see if I have his name in the paper work. He new the Triumph line well.

Thomas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts