Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dead horse thread brought up an interesting question. Has a cager ever actually tried to get you? Have you ever had to take evasive action because somebody was trying to run you down?

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I would not say to the extent of trying to ram my bike, but I have had agressive drivers try to squeeze between me an the car in front of me with a little more than a car lenght between and it was on the highway. I have also had drivers ride up my arse end but I would attribute it to cager stupidity.

Come on Daisy get up!

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
YES! Some feces dispenser made an illegal left hand turn into my lane and I layed on the horn. He didn't slow down or even look! As I got beside him, he swerved AT me, rolled the window down and started hurling insults. I fingered him and rode off. He followed in close behind me. I took more evasive action, managed to get behind him and got the plate number to report him to the RCMP. Then up the road, some other lady decided it was her duty to speed through traffic, come close to hitting me as well as the cars around her, to tell me I was riding dangerously! I reported her to the RCMP too.
People have a real hate on for bikes in this area.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
I don't know about specifically targeting or trying to run me down but I have had drivers push into a lane I'm occuping. I think they feel they have a bigger vehicle and it gives some right to take presidence over a two wheel vehicle. They usually get a nasty dent in the door or a small replica bat acrossed the windshield. I've had countless number of cagers purposely run up behind and tail gate for a mile or so like they want to intimidate me. I usually just slow way down tap the brake and make them go around. Purposeful targeting, I don't really know. Who knows what really goes through their minds when they make stupid manuvers.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
485 Posts
A friend of mine was chased down and harassed by a car on his Road Star a few months ago. Scared him enough to sell his bike. I told him he just needed something like my Trophy to just leave them behind. Few cars could keep up.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Bag/sock of marbles or ball bearings in back pocket works fine too. I have had a few. Note to self if they stop and you stop, and confrontation is gonna happen, keep your helmet on LOL

I don't know about specifically targeting or trying to run me down but I have had drivers push into a lane I'm occuping. I think they feel they have a bigger vehicle and it gives some right to take presidence over a two wheel vehicle. They usually get a nasty dent in the door or a small replica bat acrossed the windshield. I've had countless number of cagers purposely run up behind and tail gate for a mile or so like they want to intimidate me. I usually just slow way down tap the brake and make them go around. Purposeful targeting, I don't really know. Who knows what really goes through their minds when they make stupid manuvers.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Absolutely, 20 or so years ago on my k400 when I was just a young lad. I was going to my girlfriends house one beautiful afternoon and on my way out of town I passed a car in a 40 mph section going up hill. I hardly noticed it. It was one of those old plymouth sedans, like a cop car but really old. the next 4 - 5 miles were all long smooth straights with some mild hills through rural countryside. The bastard got that old car up past my 95 mph top speed and started catching me. I heard the four barrel kick in and the downshift when he was a foot from my back wheel. I went off the shoulder at 90. The driver shook his fist out the window at me as he went by.

I will never know why. he was probably a cop or one of those rural a$$hole rednecks who used to prowl the backroads.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
One Saturday night after finishing work I was running home on the freeway on my RD350. These punks were hanging out of the windows of a hot EH Holden station wagon (1964) and harrassing me.

The driver was edging over into my lane trying to "play" with me!! I spurred the bike into life and ended up doing 100mph to outrun them.

Annoying but a little exciting too! :)

·
29,948 Posts
Well, some time ago, would have been 1994 I think, when I was driving down the M1 one day, some eejit, youngish guy, in a beat up old car, passed me legally, then moved over into my lane and slammed the anchors on. There was no reason for it. Fortunately I had already slowed down to give him room. He then proceeded to speed up, and then slam the anchors on again. He did this several times, but I wasn't cutting the gap down.

So, I changed lane, proceeded to allow other cars past me, or I'd pass a few, and basically get the numnutz out of my way.

He wasn't picking on me it truns out, because as I watched he continued to do the same maneuver to other car drivers.

There have been other instances of near misses from cagers just being jerks and what not, but this is the only incident I can think of where the guy tried to deliberately get me. Unusual way of doing it - presumeably so that had he been successful he could have claimed it was my fault for tailgating or something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes - someone's granddad tried to get me...

...or that's the way it seemed at the time! On my second bike, which was a brand new 1971 Tiger 650- THE VERY FIRST RIDE I'm telling you, in my hometown, an oncoming car aims right at me on a 2 lane 25 MPH residential street, forcing me off the road to avoid. I was riding very conservatively on the new bike. I was 16 and this made a very big impression on me. I've had countless other instances where cagers are aggressive and try to occupy my "space".

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well I haven't had anyone actually try to run me down but I did have someone follow me after I had expressed my dissatisfaction with his careless lane change - the one that utilizes a single digit from the clutch hand. He tailed me to the parking lot of where I was going, got out of his car and started yelling at me about the bird salute and spouting off that cars have the right-of-way over motorcycles and that I should have moved. :confused: After asking him how the hell he came up with that BS, he threatened to kick my a$$ right there in the lot. After I reminded him that I was in full body armor, wearing a helmet designed to take direct road impact and that I was wearing gauntlet gloves with carbon fiber knuckles and to go ahead and take his best shot, he though twice about it and rode off cussing out his window.
:Driving:

·
Banned
1,900 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After I reminded him that I was in full body armor, wearing a helmet designed to take direct road impact and that I was wearing gauntlet gloves with carbon fiber knuckles and to go ahead and take his best shot, he though twice about it and rode off cussing out his window.
:Driving:
Being off the bike in all the gear really is a great feeling. You feel untouchable. I always walk backwards down tall flights of stairs, randomly scattering banana peels. Bring it on! :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
About 15-20 years ago, my wife an I were on our way to Florida on our Gold Wing. We were on U.S. 331, south of Montgomery in a very rural area. I saw an old pick-up truck pull onto the highway behind me. He kept accelerating until he was dangerously close to my back wheel. I accellerated and pulled away, but he came at me again. I pulled as far as I could to the right, but he refused to pass, and I thought he was going to hit me. I twisted the grip, and there was no way he could keep up with me. In a mile or so, I found a closed store, pulled into the parking lot and got out my metal air pump. I walked to the side of the road, and motioned for him to pull in. He slowed but suddenly hit the gas and was gone. He must have notice the pump was in my left and and my right was in my pocket.

I never knew why he targeted me, and I'm really glad I didn't have to shoot him.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes many times. They always emerge when you least expect it. Be warned, there are some serious lunatics on the road. In some parts of the world this doesn't happen as the lunatic knows he/she is likely to have lead thrown back at them.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Happened to me. I was splitting lanes up to the front at a red light. Guy on my left, second from the front must have seen me coming. Just as I passed him, he cranked the wheel and lurched the front end of his car at me. Instinctively, I swing my left hand down onto his hood with a loud bang.

Every time I ride my bike, I hate cagers even more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts