Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
That was the only Harley I would ever consider owning. Well, consider for a couple seconds. Ok, if there were ONLY Harleys left, that would be the one I'd get.

Nah, I'd probably just walk.

But it is (was) their least-ugly bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That was the only Harley I would ever consider owning. Well, consider for a couple seconds. Ok, if there were ONLY Harleys left, that would be the one I'd get.

Nah, I'd probably just walk.

But it is (was) their least-ugly bike.
I'll second that thought.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
No way I'd walk, if there were only Harley's I'd either get one of those or learn to build my own.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've been secretly wishing they'd come to the same conclusion about selling Road Kings for many years now.

If there is one thing I noticed change drastically over the years is that the pride in Harley ownership used to come from having and riding the oldest bike on the block and not a new one. That's something that's lost on most of the MoCo's customers these days.

I watched a field of XR1200s run at the races a few weeks ago and they were wonderful. They did move noticeably slower than the superbikes, but they had that distinct sound and a presence all their own. They just needed to run in their own class to keep it fair.

Most people don't run track days and the XR1200 wasn't set up to be a great bike for just simple road riding, so it suffered from crossed marketing and purpose. All that made for a limited sales appeal once the collectors and special market enthusiasts were satisfied. It seems every mid life crisis guy who walks into a showroom wants a new Road King and a matching bandana. I guess it's another case of "money talks..."

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
REAL bikers build their own bikes. Everyone else is a wannabe. I learned that on here.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Its just a shame I don't get to ride much these days after I took to drilling and refining my own petrol.

This waiting for dead animals to turn into it is quite time consuming.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Shame, the XR1200 is a decent bike. I came very close to buying one but chose the Thruxton instead (which I do not regret).

Kind of reminds me of the 1,000cc "racer" that Harley made in the late 70's - didn't sell well or last long either and is now a bit of a collector's piece.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I liked the XR1200...Not enough to own one, mind, but I liked it.

I thought it was a nice break from HD's lineup of "hey, the seventies aren't over, yet" bikes.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Its just a shame I don't get to ride much these days after I took to drilling and refining my own petrol.

This waiting for dead animals to turn into it is quite time consuming.
I thought that was a crystal meth lab you were running and am very relieved to find out you're just refining your own fossil fuels :p

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:) A couple of years back, I was in the market for a new air cooled naked street bike. The XR1200 was on my shortlist. Until I rode one. What a nail. Bought a 1200 Griso instead which was superior in every possible way. I'm not at all surprised that HD have dropped it.

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
This really is a shame. I had high hopes Harley was finally going to start catering to the performance crowd. The XR1200 was one of several motorcycles I was considering when I chose the 2010 Triumph Speed Triple. I have still considered buying one in a few years to convert into a track bike.

So I guess my dreams of a Harley Davidson VR1000 remake are all fantasy now, too...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have liked the Xr 1200 and was hoping it would work. However for those that buy one, all you get is a starter kit.
The wheels must be pitched. They are boat anchors. The exhaust is as well and also needs to be pitched. Shocks must be replaces and in fact the whole front end needs to go and a good inverted front end installed.
The motor needs so of the Buell tricks done to it.

Other than those minor annoyances, Harley has a good idea.

In the past Harley has come up with a couple of good ideas ( XLCR and perhaps XR 1000) However they always fall short on performance after the do the styling. It is as if they think their market only cares about looks.

Oh, wait, mabye that is the case.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sorry, I always pay cash:D
I also paid cash for both of my HDs. I love them both along with the British bikes in my life. I just had to develop the ability to laugh at myself and understand that they are quirky older bikes that more often than not will decide to leave me on the side of the road.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts