Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on the MD web site the Buell has a new xb9sk black which will be sold in europe. Harley has a black sportster also. I guess the Bonneville Black idea has caught on. Next will be a monster black or a BMW black. I will stick with my black..... Triumph!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just read on the MD web site the Buell has a new xb9sk black which will be sold in europe. Harley has a black sportster also. I guess the Bonneville Black idea has caught on. Next will be a monster black or a BMW black. I will stick with my black..... Triumph!
Nothing new. "All black" bikes have been around a long time. Vincent Black Shadow and Yamaha "Midnight Specials" just to name a couple.
What goes around comes around.

Bob

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
At one time a blacked-out bike might have looked stark and menacing, now it's just commonplace and cliche. Every manufacturer offers at least one in their line-up and they each try to make theirs blacker than the others. They even give them black names - Nightster, Eight Ball, etc. Kinda makes Bonnie Black sound like the most boring of them all.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I agree with you on everything except the boring sounding. I thnk Nightster and 8-Ball sound boring. Put on your best scottish accent and say:

"Arrr, she be a fine Triumph, A Bonnie Black non the less".

Not so boring now, heh? :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
You also have to take in that Harley has been selling that "Classic Bike Look" far longer than necessary. Buell builds what Harley should have evolved into.

One could say that Triumph's Modern Classics are copying Harley.

No one does.

I don't.

But I've found it's best not to start pointing fingers and saying They Stole Our Show because like politics and religion everyone just starts screaming and no one budges and inch about who's right and who's wrong.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
The new Iron 883

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stand corrected, i forgot the Vincent Black Shadow, that was my first ride, on my fathers.....and the Victory 8 ball.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know people like them but blacked out bikes have always struck me as a cheap trick to make cheaply manufactured motorcycles appear cool... :rolleyes:
To each, his own :cool:
Hey, what can I say, I like nickle plated 1911 A1's too :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Aaaahhhhhhh. Xchoppers you are killing me....... I dont think my Bonnie Black is a cheap bike trying to look cool. You cut deep Shrek, cut me deep :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
No No, I wasn't talking about the Bonnie black. I was refering to bikes that black out everything. Some even black out the exhausts. Three of the bikes I own have black paint jobs. I love black and chrome. I'm not big on black wheels, etc. though.

I was refering to bikes like this:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh jeeeeez, I just had the Arrow 2 into 1 system on my '09 Scram ceramic coated in black. What should I do now!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well, it's not an "all blacked out" bike, but certainly the style of taking the bits that would normally be chromed (exhaust, handlebar, lights, grab rail, etc) and painting them black has been around since at least the Yamaha Midnight Specials of the 1970's and was carried into the 80's by Kawasaki.

Here is my 1982 Kawasaki Spectre 750. I assume the chrome ring around the headlight was done by one of the subsequent owners because from the factory it would have had no chrome on it at all:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts