Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Hardstreet Slimbag Install on TB Storm

13K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Daycruiser 
#1 ·
The whole process took me about an hour and 30 minutes to install the slimbags with help from a buddy. I could have knocked off 10 minutes but the left side bag required some shimming. It was touching the shock. I used easy brackets for the mounting which is a slick system IMO.

Bought the bags and easybracket from fast eddy ... excellent guy to do business with.

I'm going to install my National Cycle Switchblade Deflector windshield and switchblade mount kit tomorrow. That was purchased from the dealer in Kelowna, Bentley Motorrad. Got to support the local shops too.

Here's a quick photo of the bags, hope it worked ... better photos to follow.
Vehicle Motorcycle Auto part Motorcycle accessories Cruiser

See less See more
#4 ·
National Cycle Windshield Install w/Slimbags

Installed the national cycle windshield yesterday afternoon. It took me 30 minutes for the for the complete install. And another 10 minutes to look for and find the brass washer that I dropped on the garage floor. What are the chances that a small washer would have rolled 5 ft back under the portable BBQ???

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

#9 ·
... What are the chances that a small washer would have rolled 5 ft back under the portable BBQ???

...first place I would have looked... next would have been back there behind the beer fridge, at least that wouldn't have been a wasted trip :beerchug.

The Hardstreets look good, I have also them fitted to my 'Bird; did you get the Chase Harper Inner Liners from Eddy too? They keep stuff together and help it dry.

#7 ·
After riding 300 kms ( 180 miles... with 160 being hwy cruising ) here's my take on the switchblade deflector windshield. It definitely reduces the wind off your chest and shoulders but above mid nose height it's still windy.

I'm 5'11" @ 170 lbs and switch up between a full face helmet, a joe rocket rkt 101 carbon and a HLD carbon half helmet... both helmets are DOT approved.

The deflector windshield is just that, a good windshield for around town and short haul day trips. Don't expect too much protection but it does a decent job and looks good on the Storm.

I've decided to order the switchblade chopped windshield, which is taller by 3" and wider by 8". I'm figuring the additional size will provide a more relaxed cruising experience... less wind, less fatigue more enjoyment on those long 6-8 day rides.

I'll use the deflector screen for those short day runs in the Okanagan!!!

*** DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF CLASSIC ROCK DIE ***

#10 ·
Thankyou Mr. Brown

I've been looking for the right windshield for my bike and after seeing yours I purchased them for my Storm. They keep the wind off my chest and are small enough to keep the look of my bike (I don't like the big goddy windshield look).

It's perfect for my needs! :D

#11 ·
Did some more riding on the weekend along with a little adjustment to the windshield. It did reduce some wind buffeting around my head. Still waiting for the chopped windshield from national cycle... for the long haul rides.

I'm almost done with the customization on my TBS... removed the rear seat and ordered the chromed luggage rack. And the last item ordered and to be installed is the Kuryakyn black ISO grips.

Tried to use my old set of cee bailey saddlebag liners from the concours I used to have. Unfortunately their tooooo big for the hardstreet slimbags so the wife is making me a custom set of saddlebag liners.

Hopefully I'll receive and install everything in the next week or two ... postal strike in Canada.... photos to follow.

#36 · (Edited)
You are correct.
I have Easy Brackets on my America and when installed per their instructions they can damage your cargo. They come with long alen head black bolts that can rust. I went to the hardware store and bought shorter stainless steel alen button head bolts (mark your old black ones to get the correct length) and stainless low profile lock nuts. Install them the opposite way with the smooth round alen head inside the bag and the nuts on the bracket side. Yes the nuts will fit in side the Easy Bracket box and not contact the lock it does require extra work though, just drop in a crowsfoot to hold the nut while you tighten the bolts.

#18 ·
Thank you Zenbike;
I have been widely criticized for fitting the HD Road King bags and HD Tourpack w/out taking the badges off. The thing is that those are the ones that I like best. Bought them like new condition 2nd. hand. T/P support is stainless steel laser cut and saddlebags are mounted on ghost brackets. All quick removal type.
By the way, I don't know if anyone is interested but I found the most comfortable setup for the windshield. After months of experimentation I can now ride at 100 mph with glasses only and turning the head 90degs without them (the glasses I mean) flying away. Turbulence is well under control. My height/inseam 5'5"/28" but this arrangement is equally effective up to 5'8" with the middle screen. Cheers.

#20 ·
Those are the HD Road King custom saddlebag. Looked over the whole web for different mods and qualities. These are the ones that I like best.
ABS structure covered with real leather.
Opening mechanism is a with a latch in the inside opened by a button in the back.
Mounted with quick release ghost brackets and put a little piece of rubber between the bottom of the bags and the rear dresser bars to eliminate vibration, which resulted very effective.
I~ve done some 1,000kms with them fitted and they are great!
Cheers

#21 ·
Thank you for responding, I purchased some new ones off Ebay and purchased some EZ Brackets specific to the T-Bird SE. I'll remove the "Road King" don't want to rub any HD feathers the wrong way you know. I'll put some nice reflectors in their place if it leaves a mark after removal.

#23 · (Edited)
Here is the HD Road King Classic Bag De-Badged. Removing the RK badges was easy. They're held on by three Cap Nuts, I just used a car body plastic fastener removal tool that I worked underneath the nut and popped it off. Took about 3 minutes per bag. Replaced the Badges with HD Reflectors as they were the right length and width to cover the impression left by the RK. Waiting for my EZ Brackets to arrive so I can finish mounting them now that I have the new Russell seat mounted.

#24 ·
Well done Daycruiser!!
The reflector looks good and you will have no one hassling that you are riding a TBird with "other's" bags
Do you have a photo of the tool you used to remove the cap nuts? When I tried, it was kind of difficult for me.
How did you stick the reflector?
Is there a part number for them?
Isn't the leather "looose" where you removed the fasteners?
Thank you!
Marcelo

#25 · (Edited)
The Reflectors have an industrial adhesive pad on the back, they stick very well to almost anything. They are HD Part Number: 59288-92 and 59287-92 (left and right). I found them on eBay, I think I saw some the other day while looking for something else. I put a small amount of silicone sealant in each hole that the badge left when I removed it to make it water tight. The leather is not what I would consider loose under the badge as it's all one piece. It may not be completely flat due to the badge impression but it didn't affect me what so ever. Those babies are stuck on there very tightly after they cure overnight. The tool is a auto body trim removal tool and costs less than 10 USD. Any auto parts store has them. I'll post another pic after the bike is all together with the bags and seat. Thanks for putting me onto the bags, I really like them. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.