Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 79 T140E is difficult to start. I’m using fresh premium Shell with an octane booster. The battery is new (but a cheap one). The carb’s cold start lever and click spring may be part of the problem. The lever does not stay down when depressed during starting. It wants to pop back up to its original position. Is this normal?
What else do I need to do to get a reliable starting bike?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The choke lever should stay down until you lift it. Cold start with the choke fully on and no throttle.

Don’t use an octane booster, whatever that is. Has it fouled the plugs?

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Only got a second right now from old posts you are in Ky with a 79 T140E.

Your carbs are out of alignment.
Until you get that fixed take a piece of wood about 3/16-1/4" and slide it under the lever while starting and warming up. An alternative method is to use a car key that has a flat side with the cut side up. An old favorite was a GM key when these bikes were new.

K

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is using the GM key method’s purpose to keep the cold start lever in the down position when kicking over the bike?

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Is using the GM key method’s purpose to keep the cold start lever in the down position when kicking over the bike?

The intention is to keep the enrichers in the "on" position so fuel is flowing thru them. Have you had your enricher's out of the carb bodies yet?

Will be back later

K

·
Registered
39 Posts
Push the lever down and use something to hold it in the down position when starting the engine. I used a screw driver until I got the parts to correct it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi wrench-head,
The carb is kept on by a small spung steel strip held in place by the cold start, these can become misaligned, but mostly they get weak- for the cost of them I wouldn’t muck about, just replace them. £3.00 each in the UK. You don’t say where you are from, but I think I can detect a bit of a Canadian accent in you; you might try Brit Cycle Supply in Nova Scotia if this is the case.
A new pair of choke spring strips usually does the trick. (Item 12 below)

T140E’s are easy starters if everything is OK, I have found they like enrichment for starting, even if warm.

I place the enrichment devices on, pull air/fuel through for one engine revolution with the ignition off.
Bring the pistons just over TDC, Then switch the ignition on, and take a long follow through kick, as you feel the engine fire ‘catch’ the startup with a little throttle. It should start first time every time.

If it does not I would check some of the maintenance items:
Ignition timing, head torque, valve clearances, pilot mixture screw, carb balance. Clean out the float bowls-including the hidden pilot jet. Plug type and gap.

Good Luck
Peg.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Thank you, that clarifies what I was thinking Kadutz meant to write.
Really sorry my explanation was less than clear.

As Peg said T140E's with MKII carbs are easy starters when everything is OK. Unfortunately the US models came from the factory with a colder heart than a pissed off Morther-In-Law due to the EPA mandated jetting.

If your enrichner lever will not stay in the 'on' position once depressed and you try to hold it down while kickstarting the machine you WILL bend the lever to the point of being useless. This is why the piece of wood / key solution came about.

While I have talked some guys thru the procedure so they understand it is to difficult to do on a Forum where the abilities / knowledge of the person involved is an unknown factor. Therefore my usual suggestion is change the jetting to Euro Specs & change the enrichners to handle bar operation. Not inexpensive but effective.

The move to handle bar operation will require new & a slightly different enrichner. But I will bet your present ones are shot anyway.

As far as your present set up there was a Factory Service Bulletin issued regarding the lever operation. I will try to post the details later if time permits.

K

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Kadutz. I am capable of changing the jetting. Where can I locate the Euro jetting specs and a parts source? I am located in the US.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Thank you Kadutz. I am capable of changing the jetting. Where can I locate the Euro jetting specs and a parts source? I am located in the US.
One place is the T140E Factory Service Manual. But if someone else doesn't post the info I will try to get it done this PM. I'm not sure what plans the Mrs has for me.

Source see who has the parts when they get listed. Domi Racer used to be in Cincinnati but they went out of business bout 25/30 year ago.

K

·
Registered
948 Posts
The MKII carbs came with two basic set-ups for T140s:
European (non-EPA)
124/026 #15 pilot jet
124/012 #35 choke jet
2928/122 .106 needle jet
2928/030 #3 1/2 slide (leaner than US equivelent)
2622/124 2A1 needle
No air jet fitted

US EPA
124/026 #25 pilot jet
124/026 #50 choke jet
2928/031 .105 (special stainless steel)
2926/060 #3 slide
2928/030 2C3 needle
An air jet was fitted to the central air inlet on US EPA models.

All these sepcs are for bikes with stock air cleaners and mufflers. Any changes require adjustments.

Hi
This is information I have saved from a post by John Healy on another forum.

Regards
Peg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For Amal2 Mk 2 Tuning and Euro Jetting see also https://static1.squarespace.com/static/547e5122e4b0193d67f28396/t/5697438169492e8cbde9a6f4/1452753797311/AMAL+MK2+Concentric+Carburetor+Installation+&+Tuning+manual.pdf

EDIT: for better link see http://www.britcycle.com/Manuals/AmalMK11Tuning1.pdf

For my T140E I moved the choke lever to the handlebar. You need the following parts:
60-3246 choke lever, h/bar
2x 2622/149 cable choke kit, Mk2
2x 60-7118 rubber sleeve, carb/cable
2x 60-7084 cable, rear, throttle/chokeMk2
01-9824 junction box, 2-cable
06-6565 air cable, front

My major part source is https://nortonmotors.de/de here in Germany.

regards
Oliver

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Wrench

The information Peg posted is the same I use. While it's a bit different from the Factory Service Manual I feel John Healy ones are a better choice. The change over is not cheap it's worthwhile.

I would like to thank Peg for her post as it saved me a bunch of typing.

I will try again tonight to post information from the choke linkage service bulletin.

K

1 - 20 of 36 Posts