Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer sometime I pulled the evaporative-loss emissions junk off my 2007 T100 to clean things up a bit around the engine/carbs/frame.

I used instructions found by using the search feature here, and it went very smoothly. No problems, I thought.

I found out soon though that my bike was now very hard to start if "cold", like, anything below about 60°F and she would start with the choke pulled out but I had to let 'er warm up at least 5 full minutes before riding away or she would stall right away.
This was annoying, but as it turned to autumn and became cooler the problem got much worse.
If it was less than 50°F she just wouldn't go unless I turned the idle mixture screws out another full turn AND turned up the idle knob a quarter turn.
This spring, when I convinced myself that 40°F is riding weather, my bike became nearly impossible to start.
Even with 42's and 3 turns out!!!

I didn't directly attribute this to a problem caused during evap. removal, because at about that same time I had pulled the restrictor plate out of the airbox and enlarged the filter retainer opening as well as rejetting.
So I knew I was having a severe lean issue during starting (as confirmed by the AF meter) but I couldn't put my finger on what the problem was - until yesterday.

I was trying to get the bike started and was having no luck so I started double checking all caps and hoses and connections and for the first time since I took off the evap. stuff I thought about the float breather hose.

The instructions I found for the evap. removal said to connect a hose to the T-fitting between the carbs (float breather) and run it down so I hangs below the bike a bit, and so you don't get dirt in there you can stuff some gauze or a bit of Scotchbrite pad in there as a filter.

So, I used some green scrubby pad:

Apparently I used too much because this pretty much plugged the hose; but not completely as I haven't had gas flooding the airbox which happens if totally blocked.

Once I pulled that bit out, she fired right up!
I was shocked and overjoyed!

To make sure I never have a problem with dirt getting in there I shortened the hose to a couple inches and stuffed a fuel filter in the end. Tucked up between the carbs like that I really don't see much dirt or water getting in there, and the filter will take care of any that does.

This morning I was convinced that this problem has been solved as my bike was about 45°F and she started with choke right away and I was able to push in the choke after about 30 seconds.
Hoorah!

I can't believe how a simple little thing that I overlooked caused such annoyance for most of a year, but now I'm just happy my bike is feeling better.
:HappyRoll:
-K

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
You dont need any kind of filter on the vent hoses.There just vents not vac hoses

·
30,533 Posts
That same vent hose has caused problems in high winds for some people, causing wierd back pressures that mess up the fuel level - good find Kframe! Glad your bike is starting well again. :D

Kframe and I have both pulled our airboxes, and today hooked up for what we term a "spirited ride". Good fun.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
good find Kframe. glad your bike is running true once again. good idear to put an in-line fuelie in there.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You dont need any kind of filter on the vent hoses.There just vents not vac hoses

I did notice though, once I pulled the green stuff, that if I put my thumb over the hose the bike quickly stumbled and when I pulled my thumb away there was definitely some suction, so I don't think a filter is overkill.

I don't have a hose there at all. I did, but I took it off. No issues.
I'm sure that's probably fine, that T-piece is waaaaay up there out of any grime anyways - but a $1 filter is cheap peace of mind.
-K

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I don't have a hose there at all. I did, but I took it off. No issues.
The hose is only good if the float sticks it lets the gas run on the ground instead of on a hot motor other then that it has no use at all.

·
30,533 Posts
Definitely good to have the gas run off somewhere other than the hot motor - that's a bit scary when it happens - the gas is bubbling away and sizzling - yeah - I would recommend keeping some length of hose for that. Scared the bejeezus out of me when my old beater GS850 did that some years ago - and my CB750 last weekend.

Damn float valves. :mad:

The filter may be a bit of overkill, but anything that stops crap getting in the float bowls is OK - and for a buck...........

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
The older bikes cars what ever in the good old days before epa reg. just had a open vent tube.You maybe ok with the filter as long as it does not let it flow less air.By the way it sometimes breaths out on hot days when the motor is off. It doesnt flow much it just make the pressure in the fuel bowl the same as out side air pressure.Kinda like the vents for your drains on your house.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well whether or not I need a filter, I sure as heck did NOT need that green scotcbrite crap plugging it up! :brick:

This has been so frustrating, but now she's back! :hearts:

Another thing I noticed is that once I removed the plug I am running a bit richer in every part of the rev range.

My AF at idle has gone from a 13:1 to about 12.6, at 1/4-1/2 throttle it went from 12.5 to 12.3 and WOT I am at about 13.6 instead of 13.8.

My assumption is that the plug kept the fuel from being drawn out of the bowls properly.

I know I'm too rich at 1/4 throttle cruise, and I'm still a bit lean at WOT. First I'm going to go up a size on my mains, and then for the low-midrange I think moving the clip on the needle up a notch should do it.
Later today I'll try both, but one thing at a time.

She's running pretty good right now, and a couple more tweeks should make it great! :motorbike2:
-K

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
It's amazing what you learn sometimes when you least expect it, isn't it? I'm glad that you got it sorted.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i just pulled mine off for grins and started the bike. no different, regardless of if i put my finger over the hole or not.

·
30,533 Posts
There is a temperature portion to the hard starting too. In sandy eggo it's illegal for the ambient temperature to fall below 60°F so you might not experience the same issue. :D

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
my bike almost always needs the choke to start, even in san diego.

·
30,533 Posts
Yes, Kframe was finding that even with full choke and 42 pilots, his bike was hard to start.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Now that the hard starting thing has been fixed, and I've gone up yet another size on my mains, my sitting idle is about 12.5 or so when hot, and I'm about 1.5 turns out, so I'm going to turn in the screws a bit and might even try the 40's again.
(I know messing with mains and needles shouldn't change the idle, but this is what I'm seeing on the AF meter today. Could just be the different temp/air-pressure/humidity from yesterday.)

I suspect the screws will do it though.
-K

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
I know this is an old post but I have to give a thumbs up to Kframe as I was having some problem after my evapectomy as well. I don't know what I must have been thinking at the time but I ended up pulling THREE :eek: pieces of white filter material out which was stuffed up into the hose. It had compressed and formed 3 plugs. I just cut the tube above the clogs and all was well without any filter material.

No problems noticed with air effects at 75-80mph steady, extended riding even with 20mph headwinds.

As the druggist (chemist) replied to the customer who enquired, "Sir, do you have cotton balls?".
"What do you think I am lady, a teddy bear?"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts