Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My '04 RS has become very hard to start requiring at least 5-10 seconds of cranking to start. It's been pretty cold here in ABQ, but no so much that I'd expect such a long crank. It doesn't so much as sputter, then after cranking a while starts and runs normally. A while back, the fuel level sensor was replaced. Could an air leak have been induced in the fuel system during that repair allowing the air in the fuel or pressure to bleed down? It starts normally the second attempt.

Thanks very much, Tom

·
Registered
528 Posts
I find with mine the longer I let it sit (like 3 days to a week) the harder it is to start in colder weather, If ride it regularly no problems , I`ve read lots of posts about hard starting Triumphs in cold weather so I think its just a Triumph quirk and keep the bike plugged in to battery tender and don`t worry about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks huge for the reply! I'll stop worrying about it unless it continues into spring. Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
It seems normal for a bike with a computer and fuel injection to take a few seconds to sample the atmospheric conditons before it starts. Probably takes less time when it's warmer than when it's colder so I wouldn't worry about it.

I always turn the key on and then wait a few seconds for the computer to go thru it's checks before I crank it. Never had a problem no matter how cold it got.

[ This message was edited by: catdaddy on 2007-01-31 00:31 ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the replies! I timed it today: After waiting 10-15 seconds from turning the ignition key on to allow the system to boot up, it took exactly seven seconds of continuous cranking to start. Not so much as a sputter before starting up normally at seven seconds. It was 37 degrees Fahrenheit and I live at 5500 feet altitude. The only mods are a Triumph stainless performance silencer and the appropriate reflash. The battery is new.
If anyone is in similar environmental conditions with this model and year range, I'd appreciate feedback on similarities/differences in starting.

Thanks huge, Tom

·
Registered
124 Posts
My starts much easier in the cold when I have it hooked up to a battery charger.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2001 RS started after a couple of turns as normal after a 4 week lay off the other day (Battery on trickle charger), temp around 38F

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Hi Troy520,
I am in a very warm subtropical climate but I was down in Armidale on a trip last year and it was -5 degress Celsius in the morning and was hard to start, slow to crank and no splutter 1st time, 2nd button jab instant start.

I run the SS Triumph race can and latest off road tune. Under my normal climatic conditions it always starts quickly and first time.

definitely wait till you hear the fuel pump stop whining as it rebuilds fuel pressure then hit it.
On the 1050 models some say hold the throttle 1/4 turn does the trick but I don't know if that's a good idea, I'm no mechanic.

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
On 2007-02-02 19:38, DaveM wrote:
I'm no mechanic.
Well done Dave!!

Mine starts first time in hot or cold (zero C) temps and the battery is the original but now that I have said that I am sure to have trouble.

But I am like Dave,,, I am no mechanic!! :-D

·
Registered
528 Posts
On 2007-02-01 12:52, troy520 wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies! I timed it today: After waiting 10-15 seconds from turning the ignition key on to allow the system to boot up, it took exactly seven seconds of continuous cranking to start. Not so much as a sputter before starting up normally at seven seconds. It was 37 degrees Fahrenheit and I live at 5500 feet altitude. The only mods are a Triumph stainless performance silencer and the appropriate reflash. The battery is new.
If anyone is in similar environmental conditions with this model and year range, I'd appreciate feedback on similarities/differences in starting.

Thanks huge, Tom

The temperture here has been in the low 30`s 20/24 hours a day,most days since the begining of Dec. Close to Sea level
MY bike starts the same as yours every winter.
I just got my bike back from the 20k service and retune for the staintune pipe,so I`ll see if that makes a difference.
My battery is 5 years old and kept on a Yusa type battery maintainer.
PS our forcast is for sunshine and mid forties next week so I`ll be riding :-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts