Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Hard shifting 95 T3

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Wire-Wheels 
#1 ·
Hello all! I am hoping to get some advice about why my 95 Sprint is shifting hard. Its almost impossible to find neutral! It has 80K miles and this is a newer development. It always shifted hard but now its crazy! Going from 2nd to 3rd is weird too. I also have this weird problem that when im romping on her around 4th or 5th gear upwards of 7 grand it acts like its spinning out, like the clutch is slipping or something. Strange.
Anyhoo the hard shifting is the main issue. Thanks for any suggestions!

#3 ·
In my experience, the shifting characteristics (especially neutral) of bikes with wet, multi-plate clutches are hugely affected by the most tiny seeming changes in oil. Brand, viscosity, and condition are all important. IMHO, use exactly what Triumph recommends for yours.

As AVU says, having the clutch drag just a tiny bit because of air or corrosion buildup in the hydraulics is suspect too. A complete flush/bleed cannot hurt anything and may cure everything.

#5 ·
I have to agree with most everybody that posted here. Change the oil. Use EXACTLY the grade and type of oil recommended, but not necessarily the same brand. You have to use the brand you can get in your locality. Hopefully the clutch is OK, but with that many miles on the clock, that needs to be considered. I've owned the exact same bike for 14 years. They are pretty durable if well cared for. ...J.D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.