Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been wondering for some time, and done quite a bit of searching, but haven't found a solid lead.

Is there a way to add hard side bags to a speed triple (1995)? Like parts from a Sprint to be able to use Givi bags maybe?

Side note: Will the wing rack thing fit on these for tail case?

All ideas welcome, cheers!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The Givi Wingrack kit for the Sprint or Trophy (no idea why they made both, as they're essentially the same) should fit your Speed Triple just as it did my Trident. It provides mounting points for top and side bags.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

The main problem for you is the upturned silencers. If you look at the Sprint/Trident/Trophy side on, you will see that the hangers extend further down and the silencers run fairly parallel to the ground. This gives space for the Monokey boxes to fit above the silencers.

Over the years I have picked up both sets of hangers and silencers for my Sprint. For everyday use I run your upturn Speed Triple configuration, for a sportier look (fyi, I also happen to have the Ventura kit mentioned).
For serious touring I'm able to fit the original hangers and silencers, and then fit a Givi Wingrack with 2 x E36 pannier boxes and an E45 top box.

You have to be a bit careful and get the correct fitting kit for the Wingrack, as there are 2 different fittings. 1 for the rectangular shape tail-light & side-panels (as on your Speed Triple), and the other 1 for the oval shape tail-light & side panels (as on my Sprint).

I have a few reference bits somewhere, and if you get stuck then send me your email address in a PM, and I will try and help.

HTH?
Geoff

ps. Ah, just thought, the Wingrack you want is the one that incorporates the rear turn signals, as I believe the standard ones would need to be removed. My Wingrack does have the rear turn signals, so I removed the standard ones automatically.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Mot and Dave,
I have the Triumph-branded (I assume Ventura) Pack and sport racks with the two zip-together rounded-top bags. BTW, very Motley post... even though it wasn't exactly relevant, it was still highly helpful! I'll have to remember the Yamaha gas tank rings if my tank bag ever gives out!

Hi Kit,
To confirm, did your Trident have high or low exhaust, and the square tail light? Was it the stock exhaust? I'm running the Sebring 3->1, so I may be in for some *tweaking*. You wouldn't happen to have close-ups of how the rack fit to your Trident, or which p#? And another thing!:D... I thought your Trident was dead?:(

Geoff - Just saw your response before I posted... you confirmed a few of my questions. Any pics of the difference in hangers?

What are the differences between the Givi and Kappa?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

Found a pic of the hangers. The one on the left should match your Speed Triple, while the (slightly bent) one on the right is the standard for my Sprint with the straight back silencers.

I believe Kappa is made by Givi and is their budget version of their luggage offerings.

Geoff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
<...>
Hi Kit,
To confirm, did your Trident have high or low exhaust, and the square tail light? Was it the stock exhaust? I'm running the Sebring 3->1, so I may be in for some *tweaking*. You wouldn't happen to have close-ups of how the rack fit to your Trident, or which p#? And another thing!:D... I thought your Trident was dead?:(
<...>
My Trident is dead. :mad:

My bad on the exhausts, and good catch Geoff; I ran the low cans that came stock with it. I have no idea which Givi part number I installed; I ended up with both. IIRC*, there was only one part (per side) that was different and I installed one of each at first, then went back and made them match.

I did manage to dig up a couple pics:

Cheers,
-Kit

*It was a long time ago, I may well not recall correctly.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Geoff, that will help immensely. I have a fabricated bracket there now!

Great Kit - I think I can see how they mount from those.

Cheers everyone! :beerchug

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have that exact Triumph O E, (made by Givi) Luggage system still running on my 93 Trident Sprint. Which is very much alive and well!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
You may want to service the connectors on the bags if you haven't; I lost one of mine when I hit a pothole at 100MPH.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I'm making progress. I have some Nonfango panniers and top case, and some of the bracketing (working on the rest).

Regarding the footpeg brackets, does anyone know what models / years (or even better, a sample vin#) for the lower exhaust footpeg brackets, as so brilliantly pointed out by GeoffE (the one on the right side):

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

The hanger on the right, from my '96 Sprint, would match part# 2080117-T0301 (left footrest hanger) and 2080118-T0301 (right footrest hanger). You can search on these part numbers in "Bike Bandit" which also gives a list of the models fitted.

These parts are gunmetal grey, but I don't know if they are also available in black, on a different part# (e.g. for a late Trident?).

Looking at the price new, it may be worth checking the price + postage from Sprint Manufacturing for a good used pair? (Fyi, this is where I got my "high" hangers from).

Hope this helps?
Geoff

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks all -- I'd looked at Bike Bandit to get an idea of the part #s and options, and they list different part numbers per bike per year per vin range. It does look like they have different finish options. I think HANGER-FOOTREST R.H.-BLACK "SERIAL NUMBER 3828 TO 4502 RH,9" (7393321-001) might be the one ($43.76, so may still seek out used). It's for a '95 Trophy -- they had the same black color, right?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
FYI, 4-digit serials are going to be very early bikes, like '91-'92. They made about 1200 in '91, and #5000 rolled off the line in '92.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts