Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Come on. Hanukkah is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let us not bicker and argue over who represents who.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Come on. Hanukkah is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let us not bicker and argue over who represents who.
I did not see any bickering. Nor am I grumpy. I just asked HAP whom he represented and said I was curious to know more - in other words.

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
A Politically Correct Greeting

Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally,

a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2012, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)

H

·
0 Posts
I did not see any bickering. Nor am I grumpy. I just asked HAP whom he represented and said I was curious to know more - in other words.
I represent no one but myself. Not Rats, not Jews nor any one of any religious fevrent. I spoke in response to a broad and generalized statement you made and I spoke for others who may felt the same way I do and it is obvious others don't feel that way.

There are old Jews and crotchety old Jews and they seem to be represented in the ranks of Rats.
Having said that Happy Holidays as that is what seems to please most.:cool:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Wishing all the Members of the Tribe a very Happy Chanukkah, and to those that celebrate other things may you have a Merry/Happy safe holiday season.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Happy Saturnalia, from an Atheist Jew. :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
While of course there is nothing that should make Jews less likely to ride motorcycles than non-Jews, it does not appear to be a sport that attracts many Jews. I know that when I was an MSF instructor in WI years ago, and then again when I taught the MSF courses in IL, I was the only Jewish instructor in the entire group. Just like my enjoyment and appreciation for guns and the 2nd Amendment, motorcycling does not seem to appeal to many of the faith that I was born into.

H

·
0 Posts
Vito. I seem to have found the closet Jewish bike riders and gun lovers of the USA. I am not at liberty to divulge their names, they haven't come out of the closet yet.:)

·
Registered
850 Posts
To much of my family I am the "crazy" uncle. Raised Jewish in Borough Park, Brooklyn, NY I became a career military officer, ride motorcycles and own guns. Most of my NY relatives can't figure out where I went "wrong". To top it off, I am a conservative which totally baffles my relatives. Unfortunately as well, none of my children ride (although one son did for a few years) and none share my appreciation for guns (not even the one son who is an LEO). But life is way too short to worry about what those folks, even my own family, thinks about my being a rider and I will continue to ride until I am totally unable to do so.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
While of course there is nothing that should make Jews less likely to ride motorcycles than non-Jews, it does not appear to be a sport that attracts many Jews. I know that when I was an MSF instructor in WI years ago, and then again when I taught the MSF courses in IL, I was the only Jewish instructor in the entire group. Just like my enjoyment and appreciation for guns and the 2nd Amendment, motorcycling does not seem to appeal to many of the faith that I was born into.

While I normally try to avoid getting into these types of debates or discussions on this board I figured I needed to speak a little common sense.

Let’s look at the fact that the Jewish population here in the states is about 2% of the overall general population vs. 83% Christian. So out of every 100 riders you meet you’re most likely going to find about 83 Christians to 1 Jew (Since you’re one)… Now add in areas, from the same 2010 population reports that I grabbed these numbers from Wisconsin has a Jewish Population of 0.5% while Illinois is 2.2% so we’ll round it up to a total of 3% so if you’d have to know well over 100 other instructors. So it really comes down to where you ride, and who you ride with. Now add in the fact that only about 2% of Americans in general (any race, creed, color, religion, etc.) ride then it’s not surprising to not find many members of the tribe out there. That said I actually know of a number of Jewish riders so I’d say out of all the riders I know personally enough to know their beliefs I’m well over 2%.

There are Jewish Rider Groups: That you can look into such as JMA (Jewish Motorcyclists Alliance)

As far as the second Amendment I personally think it comes down to where you were raised, and how you were raised. Growing up in NY I know a ton of Jewish people who have full carry permits. If I had to guess I’d say probably the same percentage as everyone else in the state that carry vs. overall population. I’d also venture to say that down south (where I currently reside) it would be the same percentage vs. the overall population percentages.
There are also groups for Jewish gun owners: JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Why use common sense? This is the internet! But seriously, you are right and maybe their is no correlation between motorcycling and different faiths, but when it comes to gun ownership I think there may be such a relationship. Despite our history there are far too many Jewish people who think the government will protect them.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
Dude, you were in Wisconsin. O friend of mine's Dad worked for Nestle there for awhile, they went to see "Blazing Saddles", and were the only ones in the theater laughing when the Indians started speaking Yiddish, as no one else got the joke!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Why use common sense? This is the internet! But seriously, you are right and maybe their is no correlation between motorcycling and different faiths, but when it comes to gun ownership I think there may be such a relationship. Despite our history there are far too many Jewish people who think the government will protect them.

Vito,

You may be right with this, but this is only because they've been coddled by our government. If they spent any time abroad or in Israel they would have a little different outlook on life, and the government.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
So, what did everybody get for Hanukkah?

I bought another motorcycle in September, so I told my wife I didn't want anything. She bought be a nice Steve McQueen post so I'd have something to open.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Nothing special. Got some presents for my Ex-GF's kids but that's about it. Of course gave my bike a little present of some love...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I hate hearing 'Happy Holidays'. If you are Christian, say Merry Christmas. If you are Jewish, say happy Hanukkah. I'll also accept Quanza or any other similar holiday.
I'm not offended if someone from a different faith wishes me well from their own holiday.
I suppose Happy Holiday is ok from an athiest but no one should be offended from expressing whatever your holiday is (or isn't)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I suppose Happy Holiday is ok from an athiest but no one should be offended from expressing whatever your holiday is (or isn't)
I wished somebody a Merry Christmas once and it turned out they were Jewish. So a Jewish guy wished another Jewish guy a Merry Christmas. Didn't make much sense to me to assume anything, so unless I know what somebody celebrates, I use a "Happy Holiday" greeting.

Often it's misinterpreted as being "PC".

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I wished somebody a Merry Christmas once and it turned out they were Jewish. So a Jewish guy wished another Jewish guy a Merry Christmas. Didn't make much sense to me to assume anything, so unless I know what somebody celebrates, I use a "Happy Holiday" greeting.

Often it's misinterpreted as being "PC".
Agreed, while I'm not offended at whatever anybody does or doesn't wish me I try to wish them what "they" celebrate. You wouldn't knowingly wish a Jewish or Muslim person a Happy Easter, or wish a Christian Happy Yum Kippur or Ramadan because that's what you celebrate. I don't wish my friends a Happy Birthday on my birthday. I think we should all enjoy the spirit of the season, and at least treat others the way we'd like to be.

So may everyone have a Very Happy New Year, be smart, be safe, and enjoy.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts