Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well

I am over the mileage needed to go back from my first service (650 miles) thanks to a 330 mile round trip to just north of Brighton - included the delights of the M25 at rush hour (not a pleasant experience I can tell you).

Lovely ride, the gel seat worked well, even the new AGV levers played their part. Now just need my Trident exhaust:).

Even managed to visit the chaps at HALO leathers for a custom set - what a great guy - Adam, who raced a 675 this year and will be racing a new one next:motorbike:

Anyway, apart from cold knee syndrome - something OnD will never have the joy of feeling (probably!!):D, my concern is that I have another 'work' trip planned Friday, and so the mileage will climb to nearly 800.

IS that too many prior to its first service? I don't want a black mark in my log book - like people were getting on e46 M3s, if you had the first inspection service over 1500 miles for instance.

Any thoughts welcome, hopefully booking the bike in for Sat morning, along with my new exhaust!

Hooray

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well

I am over the mileage needed to go back from my first service (650 miles) thanks to a 330 mile round trip to just north of Brighton - included the delights of the M25 at rush hour (not a pleasant experience I can tell you).

Lovely ride, the gel seat worked well, even the new AGV levers played their part. Now just need my Trident exhaust:).

Even managed to visit the chaps at HALO leathers for a custom set - what a great guy - Adam, who raced a 675 this year and will be racing a new one next:motorbike:

Anyway, apart from cold knee syndrome - something OnD will never have the joy of feeling (probably!!):D, my concern is that I have another 'work' trip planned Friday, and so the mileage will climb to nearly 800.

IS that too many prior to its first service? I don't want a black mark in my log book - like people were getting on e46 M3s, if you had the first inspection service over 1500 miles for instance.

Any thoughts welcome, hopefully booking the bike in for Sat morning, along with my new exhaust!

Hooray
Shouldn't be too big a deal, although the first oil change usually contains more stuff you don't want floating around in the motor than any subsequent changes.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
The first service is generally a look to see if any bits are going to drop off and an oil change. The extra mileage won't make any difference IMO. If you're really concerned just call your dealer but I am sure that they'll say the same.

Glad to see that you're enjoying your new bike. :)

Has the stupid wide mouth grin gone from your face yet? I'm up to 40,000 km and I haven't got rid of it yet! :D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shouldn't be too big a deal, although the first oil change usually contains more stuff you don't want floating around in the motor than any subsequent changes.
Tonybaloney

You are probably right - just needed to hear other people say the same thing!

Many thanks:)

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first service is generally a look to see if any bits are going to drop off and an oil change. The extra mileage won't make any difference IMO. If you're really concerned just call your dealer but I am sure that they'll say the same.

Glad to see that you're enjoying your new bike. :)

Has the stupid wide mouth grin gone from your face yet? I'm up to 40,000 km and I haven't got rid of it yet! :D
Thanks Steventhechef, as Tonybaloney mentioned, it probably is nothing.

But yes, still got that grin. Never thought I would have such a feeling on a bike, hooning home in the dark, cold, (well knees, hands have got heated grips:D), filtering to make it before midnight and still smiling away to myself.

Smiled on the way there, when on filling up (tank range showed 45 miles left, but fuel light came on and I thought better to do it before tackling the M25 first time round), the range 'soared' to 210!

Mind you, soon sank back down by the time I go to Halo after my work meeting!

On the way home, filled up again and still got home, 20+ miles from the filling station, with 180 miles showing.

I LOVE this bike!:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Glad you love the bike, me too though not got the cash for a new one yet.

On the down side, have you seen the weather forecast this weekend... Sometimes I feel like moving to some place that isn't grey and miserable 9 months of the year.

Still, you get to check out your waterproofs and cold weather gear (now I really must fix my heated grips).

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you love the bike, me too though not got the cash for a new one yet.

On the down side, have you seen the weather forecast this weekend... Sometimes I feel like moving to some place that isn't grey and miserable 9 months of the year.

Still, you get to check out your waterproofs and cold weather gear (now I really must fix my heated grips).
Many thanks Ztolley.

Just looked at BBC weather - Friday looks, err, pants, followed by trousers on Sat and a double helping of complete kacks on Sunday. I wonder if we could just ship our bikes over to Florida and move into OnD's garage?

Or with DaveM, or Dolson, or any of the other (seemingly) nearly 99% of people on this forum who apparently live in countries where rain is an occasional incident, not a way of life:D

Whereabouts are you?

Perhaps we might have a southern whingers about the weather meet sometime soon?

I do love the bike, but, if this cold keeps up, plus the rain, I may have to rethink lots of weekend rides...:mad:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Change the oil. Get the first one out of the way. It's dirtier now then it will ever be with engine, clutch and tranny break in.

Oh and you can move into my garage. It doesnt rain for another 5 months now but it does snow.... and snow.....and snow.....

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Many thanks Ztolley.

Or with DaveM, or Dolson, or any of the other (seemingly) nearly 99% of people on this forum who apparently live in countries where rain is an occasional incident, not a way of life:D
I guess you've never been to Oregon. Oregonians don't tan, we rust.

Don

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well

Hooray
So what have you ordered, I'm waiting for my custom fit Carbon Leathers to arrive.....just balck with some white trim mind, none of that power ranger stuff

You must have been impressed with them to order a set...

I've been dealing with Adam - yes he seems a good genuine guy

To stop the cold knee syndrome at this time of year I wear "Under Armour" heat gear compression fitting top and pants - very close fitting wicking material with a fine micro fibre pile lining. Or lookout for Aldi/Lidl doing sports/biking/cycling under stuff...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I dunno what all the fuss is with knees, though maybe hips. I find that there is a little warmth that is conducted through the frame to my knees, and I also never go out now without wearing my Dianese Hooper textile leggins, the liners are really warm and I've not had cold legs yet, oh except the 2 times that some water seeped through the crotch :(

Anyway, fyi I'm also in the south east, and ride down the M4 most days into London. I starting to get used to riding in the rain when I must, though yuck. Feel sorry for my wife, she's got a lesson on Saturday and its forecast serious rain and snow and she has her test next week with the weather not looking great.

There are days I wonder why I dont move to california or something, wifes american so I can get a green card.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
I guess you've never been to Oregon. Oregonians don't tan, we rust.

Don

Yes Don I heard you get the odd spot of precipitation up your way!:D

Not to mention the snow!!!:rolleyes:

Me on the other hand I have a lovely subtropical climate which has the odd Hurricane like tropical storm!

But I do indeed ride all year round even though we do get a drop of rain it does not stop me from getting my mountain fix!:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Change the oil. Get the first one out of the way. It's dirtier now then it will ever be with engine, clutch and tranny break in.

Oh and you can move into my garage. It doesnt rain for another 5 months now but it does snow.... and snow.....and snow.....
Umm, an ST with skids fitted - where's the James Bond smilie when you need one:D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So what have you ordered, I'm waiting for my custom fit Carbon Leathers to arrive.....just balck with some white trim mind, none of that power ranger stuff

You must have been impressed with them to order a set...

I've been dealing with Adam - yes he seems a good genuine guy

To stop the cold knee syndrome at this time of year I wear "Under Armour" heat gear compression fitting top and pants - very close fitting wicking material with a fine micro fibre pile lining. Or lookout for Aldi/Lidl doing sports/biking/cycling under stuff...
whoosh, I am going for the Triumph series replica leathers, in matt black with some white.

Adam kindly said that they can do a change to the lower leg bit as well, so that I can my boots on (to the stretchy material, rather than leather) - he is a nice bloke.

As most are already aware, me and technical is not the closest marriage on earth:D

Keen to learn, just not practically versed - usually!!

Adam couldn't have been more helpful, with tips on chain tightening, suspension stuff, brakes and calipers - generally just being thoughtful. All this while showing me the 675 he rode this rear and the £2k Showa shock he had for it:eek:

Oh and thanks for the top tips - my knees trook hours to warm through!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I dunno what all the fuss is with knees, though maybe hips. I find that there is a little warmth that is conducted through the frame to my knees, and I also never go out now without wearing my Dianese Hooper textile leggins, the liners are really warm and I've not had cold legs yet, oh except the 2 times that some water seeped through the crotch :(

In or out?!!

Anyway, fyi I'm also in the south east, and ride down the M4 most days into London. I starting to get used to riding in the rain when I must, though yuck. Feel sorry for my wife, she's got a lesson on Saturday and its forecast serious rain and snow and she has her test next week with the weather not looking great. :eek: Best of luck to her

There are days I wonder why I dont move to california or something, wifes american so I can get a green card.I would!!!
I was hoping for sun at least for a part of this weekend, seems like that's was a hope too far

·
Registered
99 Posts
break in

Do the oil change and you should be good to go. Bike does put a smile on your face. I do group rides almost every weekend with a sportbike club and we have a mix of sport bikes. I usually ride with my 600 and the first ride that I show up with my sprint I got some strange looks. After the first leg of the trip when we stop several of the guys that ride Honda 1000 cbrr come up to me and surprisingly say to me, wow that thing is fast. No more strange looks when I show up for the rides:) Enjoy your ride and know you have a well kept secret between your legs, your bike:)

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trip to DaveM's place for barbie, beers and a few ride outs!

·
Registered
854 Posts
whoosh, I am going for the Triumph series replica leathers, in matt black with some white.

Adam couldn't have been more helpful, with tips on chain tightening, suspension stuff, brakes and calipers - generally just being thoughtful. All this while showing me the 675 he rode this rear and the £2k Showa shock he had for it:eek:

Oh and thanks for the top tips - my knees trook hours to warm through!
Cheers - when mine arrive I might even have to pose for me and my bike !

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Trip to DaveM's place for barbie, beers and a few ride outs!

Sounds like an excellent plan to me Ratboy1050!:D

I held a huge virtual party at my place in the Biker hang Out forum about 3 years ago the thread went for about 3 months and was very funny!:D

DaveM:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts