Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
AAHHHH the 4th of July, My favorite holiday. Today we do Brats on the grill, drink vodka and mango juice, later it's an outdoor concert with Lynyrd Skynyrd and blowing **** up:D

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I though Lynyrd Skynyrd blew up (in a plane crash)

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I find it interesting that our foreign counterparts on the forum seem to be more excited about Independence Day than we Americans, or at least we who are currently living in America. Regardless, I appreciate the comments, and happy Independence Day to America.

My family came to America in 1770 and 1800, and we who are currently alive spent time this weekend at our family reunion revisiting songs, stories, photographs, and lithographs from the days of ol'. America has a darn rich heritage, as does every country in the world, and I'm certainly proud and happy that people had the courage and cooperation to band together for freedom in a time when it was an overwhelming and almost impossible endeavor.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I find it interesting that our foreign counterparts on the forum seem to be more excited about Independence Day than we Americans, or at least we who are currently living in America. Regardless, I appreciate the comments, and happy Independence Day to America.
I'm not sure how you've drawn this conclusion, but whatevs.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
people had the courage and cooperation to band together for freedom in a time when it was an overwhelming and almost impossible endeavor.
Well the colonialists, some of whom were slave drivers were actually free but not free from taxes, so no change there.

The whole episode was badly handled, *the prospect of war with the Americans was greeting with dismay and disbelieve by people in Great Britain who thought of both peoples as one country. Pretty similar to Canada, Australia and New Zealand who did not have to fight for their 'freedom' as they already had it.

*The Rise and Fall of the British Empire - Lawrence James.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I'm not sure how you've drawn this conclusion, but whatevs.
I'm not surprised. It has something to do with the fact that a foreigner started this thread, and the most enthusiastic posts are from foreigners. That and out of 17 posters commenting on the 4th, only nine are Americans out of the tens of thousands of American members (a waste of time doing the math to prove my point, but you've spurred me to it:D). It's as interestingly disproportionate as an American praising English football as "the greatest sport ever" to have a British fellow respond with, "yeah, it's good." It was simply an observation.

Tbirdz, while colonials had freedom as far as an ocean separating them goes, I hardly think they were free from a monarch's control. I don't call taxation to partially fund another landmass and a king's hobbies free, nor do I think having a bunch of soldiers showing up at one's door to kick him out and take up residency free either, not to mention drafting a militia for wars that the people of the continent have no say in. Add that to the fact that Americans had to deal economically and socially with French, Spanish, and Native American peoples in differing ways (as in as cooperative as possible for the sake of trade and peace) than England saw fit put them in a situation where they were not necessarily free to make their own decisions to better their lives. There are many other reasons, but I'm going to eat dinner now: bangers and mash and hasty pudding. ;):D Honestly, I wish.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Um; I was just taking advantage of my proximity to the international date line, & getting my birthday wishes in early. & I titled the thread Happy Birthday America so our non-US members could wish our US members a Happy July 4. Read into that what you will. But I've yet to meet an unpatriotic American.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I'm not surprised. It has something to do with the fact that a foreigner started this thread, and the most enthusiastic posts are from foreigners. That and out of 17 posters commenting on the 4th, only nine are Americans out of the tens of thousands of American members (a waste of time doing the math to prove my point, but you've spurred me to it:D). It's as interestingly disproportionate as an American praising English football as "the greatest sport ever" to have a British fellow respond with, "yeah, it's good." It was simply an observation.
When you write your book on how to properly celebrate the Fourth, send me an advanced copy.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I'm still scratching my head wondering if we Americans lost the war would they have made Mini Coopers and MGs in Detroit and Triumph motorbikes in Dayton.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Maybe not Minis but maybe Mercedes-Benz or BMW might have a factory in the U.S. Oh, wait...

H

·
0 Posts
Um; I was just taking advantage of my proximity to the international date line, & getting my birthday wishes in early. & I titled the thread Happy Birthday America so our non-US members could wish our US members a Happy July 4. Read into that what you will. But I've yet to meet an unpatriotic American.
Well kind sir this American thanks you with all his heart for even thinking of us. My family didn't come here in the 1700s but a lot of em have died and served this country since so we take the 4th very seriously. Oh, and I like the Brits, Canuks, Ossy, NZlanders because they speak english and they love good bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Read into that what you will. But I've yet to meet an unpatriotic American.
I wasn't meaning to read into anything to place any kind of assumption on your intent; I apologize if it came off that way. I was observing that I thought the foreign posts were more enthusiastic. I didn't say or intend to say Americans aren't patriotic, just that there is a lack of enthusiasm/participation in this thread.

When you write your book on how to properly celebrate the Fourth, send me an advanced copy.
You would be hard-pressed to find anything I said as telling people how to celebrate the 4th (where exactly did I explain how to do so?). If I were to write any kind of book, I'd not send you a copy for fear you'd misread it and then allude to things that it never contained.:rolleyes: I guess my innocent observation itself has been read into far too deeply, and it's partially my fault for wanting to clarify after you prompted me to do so.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
(a waste of time doing the math to prove my point, but you've spurred me to it:D).
I thought we were supposed to leave the math to Roxy; isn't that her speciality? :D

I'm glad there wasn't more blowing stuff up around here. It was pretty aggravating driving around in the smoky haze of the biggest forest fire in New Mexico history, and driving past huge tents selling fireworks. I haven't heard of any fireworks-started fires, though, so thank God for that. We spent much of the 4th moving back into our house, and getting ready for a few days' ride in Colorado ("we" being my father in law and I for the ride). Very odd 4th of July. I was very disappointed to return to a valley full of smoke, I can tell you. I'd hoped they'd have gotten the fire fully extinguished while I was gone. Oh, well.

But the 4th is a great holiday. One of several with real patriotic meaning, and I love it. And America. :AmericanFlag:AmericanFlag:AmericanFlag God bless the USA!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Yep, I do da math:D

Be glad you don't have my neighbors, HiD. They blow up whole sticks of dynamite on a regular basis. This week, they've been especially active. A couple weeks ago, I was going past on my bike when one went off about 15 feet from the road. I'm amazed I didn't crash or pee on myself.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts