Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy ANZAC day to all the Aussie and Kiwi bonnie owners on here. If you're riding today, have a great ride and be safe.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Cheers,won't be to much riding down here as its pouring rain,but I'll raise a glass for the fallen:)J.B.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks B-Sunshine.

80 km/h winds today here - might watch the football instead!

cheers - Pete

·
Registered
630 Posts
and they fought for the mother country...england
Well I think towards the end of WW2 they were fighting mostly in New Guinea and Malaysia because the Japanese were heading straight for Australia so, in that case at least, they were fighting directly for their own country. Of course that is not to deny their valiant efforts in France, the Middle East and elsewhere. Most of all let's not forget Vietnam - I just missed the callup on that one by the skin of my teeth.

Lest we forget.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Glad to see a post on ANZAC Day. I will never forget ANZAC Day 1996. I was stationed with the Defense Attache Office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and our Colonel "insisted" we go to the Australian Embassy to participate. It is never to early in the morning to share a drink with out allies. The rest of the day was a blur.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cheers,won't be to much riding down here as its pouring rain,but I'll raise a glass for the fallen:)J.B.
Very wet, but that was normal for anzac day....

Didn't take the Triumph out too wet but the XR was a blast, just got back....even my jocks & socks were wet but it was worth it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ex-grunt

Did my time as a Digger and enjoyed the heck out of it.

I spent a beautiful blue sky-Anzac Day on my Bonnie hitting the Twisties at Mt Tamborine. I don't March, nor attend the service, but I spare a thought for the poor blokes who never came home.

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't begrudge me having a ride day. I wouldn't begrudge them doing it if the coin toss went the other way.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'm pretty sure that they wouldn't begrudge me having a ride day
Of course they wouldn't mate. That's what it's all about. The freedom to do your own thing. To take off on your bike if you want, to have your own opinion and live your life your way. There are fewer freer things than having a ride on your bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, I reckon if I was a vet (which could have happened if Gough hadn't got in just before my birthday) I would go for a ride on Anzac Day. There is nothing like a ride in the hills to clear the mind and ponder on things past. I am afraid Anzac day is another of those events being taken over by the party crowd whose only interest is the booze-up and two-up and have no cocept of what the day is about. Go for a ride and remember..

·
Registered
268 Posts
"and they fought for the mother country...england...18 year old cannon fodder for the british generals" - 649

You need to put this in the context of the time. These incredible young blokes fought for their country and for freedom - rightly or wrongly that was the perception of the time and it was what the vast majority of the population of Australia believed in atthe time. The whole ANZAC thing has, for a minority, become an excuse for British Bashing and it's tedious. Canadians, English, Welsh, Australians, Scots, Indians South Africans and many others were at some time lions lead by donkeys. I am a Brit and proud of it. I am an Australian and proud of it. I hope that Australia becomes a Republic. However, please do not use history to manipulate the modern environment - it is actually an insult to the fallen in some ways.

·
Registered
355 Posts
"and they fought for the mother country...england...18 year old cannon fodder for the british generals" - 649

You need to put this in the context of the time. These incredible young blokes fought for their country and for freedom - rightly or wrongly that was the perception of the time and it was what the vast majority of the population of Australia believed in atthe time. The whole ANZAC thing has, for a minority, become an excuse for British Bashing and it's tedious. Canadians, English, Welsh, Australians, Scots, Indians South Africans and many others were at some time lions lead by donkeys. I am a Brit and proud of it. I am an Australian and proud of it. I hope that Australia becomes a Republic. However, please do not use history to manipulate the modern environment - it is actually an insult to the fallen in some ways.
been well known for decades the Gallipoli invasion was a complete stuff up by the British Generals.....not for one second denigrating the efforts of the poor soldiers who died , but the idiots who sent them there...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dawn service and then 400km's thru the hills......
My way to respect them....

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
There are a lot of stuff-ups in war, the fact there is a war is a stuff-up in the first place. Had Gallipoli succeeded it would have been described as major turning point, as it was it was a gallant disaster. We seem to honour our disasters more than our victories to remind us of the sacrifices made.

As a vet, I marched on Anzac day to remember those who fell so that we could enjoy the freedom we have today.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Agree totally with Tbirdnz. At some point in time we need to move to a stage where we can respect and honour those who have fallen for us, without denigrating or disrespecting others. Had the majority of us not moved to that place, we would not be able to honour our dead on Turkish soil, trade with the Japanese or buy German cars. This thread was started to wish all Aussies and Kiwis a happy and safe ANZAC day. Not to be used as a means to "hang it on" anyone or air any particular political view. We should have moved to a better place by now IMO.

·
Registered
355 Posts
and see the total futility of it...WW1 was supposedly "the war to end all wars"
as John Lennon said "suppose they had a war and nobody came"

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Go the ANZACs - I spent many a ANZAC day when I was in uniform sharing a beer with an old digger or Vietnam vet after the march - some great memories...interesting that the number of people turning out for ANZAC day continue to rise

·
Registered
268 Posts
Back in 1980 I stupidly spent 3 hours each morning commuting to work in London. I got to know a fellow traveller who had a relative who had been gassed at 17 in WW1 - he had been in hospital since then. I often think of that poor young innocent man - all those incredible changes on the planet which he had lived through but never seen. Seems to me all of us here are singing from the same hymn sheet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts