Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congratulations to all.Yesterday was 17th of May, the Norwegian constitution day. We were out celebrating all day long.

To those of you who (for really obscure reasons) may not know about this day, let me give you a very very quick intro:

We celebrate the constitution signed 17th of May 1814.

As a byresult of the Napoleonic wars, Norway in 1814 broke loose from the Danish crown and got a constitution of it's own. Later the same year we entered into a dual monarcy with Sweden (under a king who had been one of Napoleon's generals, btw)

The constitution was based on the same tri-partition as several other countries had adopted - most notable the US - as described by Montesquieu. This division lasted until the 1880s when the constitution was adopted for parlamentiarism.

At the time, the constitution gave the voto to a larger percentage of the population than any other in the world - basically to every landowning adult male.

We are very proud that we celebrate the constitution day with Childrens' parades - not military ones. This was started already in the 1870s, so it is very solid.

The King and his family spend the day presiding over the parade in Oslo, where a full 180 elementary schools (with a marching band each) parade past.

A few years ago I heard on the radio that an amazing 97% of the population participate in the festivities, one way or another.

Needless to say, Pillion jr and Ms Pillion jr both enjoyed the day immensely (partially as a result of abundant intake of Icecream).

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Damn! I forgot about Norwegian Constitution Day again.:(
Have a good one TB.:)

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
No, no, no TB, yer doin it all wrong. Oim not serprised no feller's ever herd o 'Norweeejun Constipation Day'

You need some geezer from much longer ago, that feck all is really known about, so yer can make up a load o new stuff, see?

Some feller loike oor Paddy (St Patrick), get the brewers on board, getchy'all langers, have a big party an a piss up, an yer can export dat anywhere in the world, so deys all herd o ya :) (hic..)

:p:D

(just don't mention our banking feck up, ok? ;))

1 - 4 of 4 Posts