Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The file attached requires some sort of Winzip application to open it. The files within the ZIP file require Excel to work. (maybe Open Office will work, I have not tried it.)
Anyway, Speed&RPM.XLS will allow you to see what your RPMs will be for a given speed in any given gear with any size tire you choose. Tire outside diameter can be derived from plugging the numbers from your tire into the cels on the right side.
If you want to see the effect of RPM changes for your engine by changing tire sizes or want to see the effect of sprocket changes you can do that by simply changing numbers around. I recommend you check the gear ratios given in your own owners handbook against those I've included here as your's may be different.
In the lower part of that sheet, for fun, I've put in some calculations for pounds of force generated by objects at speed. (How many know that a 3200 lb car hitting something at 60 MPH has generated almost 400,000 lbs of force? A reminder for wearing protective gear)
The other file "Shim.XLS" allows you to calculate required valve shim thickness easily. I'm too used to the English system to change but the MM info is calculated there too. Just use your feeler gauge to measure your clearances and plug the info into the "measured in" cells. Then take out your shims and measure them and plug that info into the "Current In" cells. I measured in English and the calculation to MM is in the cells below. If you measure in MM, just put your info into the cells on the "MM" and "Current MM" lines. The info next to HI> and Low> on the right are the requires specs taken from the Haynes manual for the T100. Check the specs for your model to be sure. The numbers which get calculated on the "Required IN" and "Req. MM" lines are aimed at getting your clearances right in the middle of the specs.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Windows Explorer will open .zip files.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Cafe,
And after all that work too :) http://www.gearingcommander.com/ is easy to use too. I did not know it was there but it did confirm that the spreadsheet is accurate at least. There is probably a 'shim-commander' out there someplace too.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, in the first post to this thread.. my problem is that I Has s stroke rrecnely & my pscrambled brarain isn't working well with tech spec. I wa hoping o find a chart tht says if you measure .229mmclearanc on the intake use a XXXX size shim.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Yes, in the first post to this thread.. my problem is that I Has s stroke rrecnely & my pscrambled brarain isn't working well with tech spec. I wa hoping o find a chart tht says if you measure .229mmclearanc on the intake use a XXXX size shim.
The issue here, Reckless (sorry to hear about your stroke) is that in order to know what size shim to replace with, you need to know what's already in there. The good news is that you only need to do this the first time. I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of what size shims are in there currently, and I also use an Excel shim calculator (I'm sure like the one referenced here (but haven't looked at it)).
I keep track of everything I'm doing on a notepad while adjusting my valves (I haven't had a stroke, but my brain ain't what it used to be). Take your time, be patient and plodding and I'm sure you'll do fine.:)
I presume you've read about the troubles others have had removing the cam cap bolts. I've an '09 Bonnie and had no problems at all removing the bolts! :eek:

Good luck!
-Sparky

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks Sparky,
I measured all the shims that were in there & they all mic'd !.114mmthe only trouble I had with the cam cap bolts was that I initially thought they were Allen heads so I sheared the Torx pattern in one before I realized my error but got it out without much ado, the rest were easy with a 1/4" drive.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Online valve shim calculator

The file attached requires some sort of Winzip application to open it.....

The other file "Shim.XLS" allows you to calculate required valve shim thickness easily. I'm too used to the English system to change but the MM info is calculated there too. Just use your feeler gauge to measure your clearances and plug the info into the "measured in" cells. Then take out your shims and measure them and plug that info into the "Current In" cells. I measured in English and the calculation to MM is in the cells below. If you measure in MM, just put your info into the cells on the "MM" and "Current MM" lines. The info next to HI> and Low> on the right are the requires specs taken from the Haynes manual for the T100. Check the specs for your model to be sure. The numbers which get calculated on the "Required IN" and "Req. MM" lines are aimed at getting your clearances right in the middle of the specs.

Enjoy!
Just running a comparison/test with online version:-
http://tinyurl.com/boqkap3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts