Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few mile on my new Rocket now. It seems that my hands want to grip the bars out near the end. I adjust my hands closer to the inside of the grip and after some time my hands are back closer to the end. Is this telling to adjust the handlebars lower slightly?

odie

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought my Rocket III Standard last April. Had it a month and was experiencing the same thing. I rolled the handlebars back as far as I could while keeping them off the tank when they're turned as far as they can go.

Now My hands are tucked all the way in so I'm guessing that did the trick for me. It also allowed me to sit back slightly which has translated to a more comfortable ride for me.

Hope this helps.
Karl

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Karl,

I might try that and see how my hands feel. I saw a handle bar lift and set bak kit on the internet. It lifts 1 inch and sets back 2 inches. Maybe some other will post on this soon. We will see how they worked it out. If I sit up close to the tank my hands stay put but from mid to the rear of the seat, my hand work out to the end of the bars. It would be interesting to know if the set back kit changes the way the rider can handle the bike.

odie

·
Registered
690 Posts
I like the H-D buckhorns (pull backs).
I've got a couple of sets of them, and put them on my bike and REALLY liked the way they felt on the Rock.
Pulled em back off and set them aside till I find out how much longer my cables all need to be, and where to get them made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm waiting for Barnett to deliver two s2" over clutch cable so I can put my 1.25, 10" mini apes on (39" wide) the Touring. 3 weeks lead time. My throttle, brake cables and electrics look like they will be fine.

The mini apes always give me a straighter angle for my wrists which is far more comfortable for me. I currently have the stock Touring bars tilted forward so far to clear my knees during turns that my wrists ache after about an hour.

Barnett have a made to order service for clutch and throttle, with a part number for the Rocket models. You just specify the part number with a "+x" for the number of extra inches, designate whether you want black, stainless or carbon finish and away you go (unless you don't like Barnett of course !).
This isn't intended as a plug for Barnett, but I haven't found anyone else who makes the longer cables yet......

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I like the H-D buckhorns (pull backs).
I've got a couple of sets of them, and put them on my bike and REALLY liked the way they felt on the Rock.
Pulled em back off and set them aside till I find out how much longer my cables all need to be, and where to get them made.
I had Flanders Ultra Classic bars put on by my dealer when I got the bike. He replaced the cables, apparently without much difficulty.

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/ImportMore/ImportUltra2.html

I think the Buckhorns would be easier on the wrists for long rides.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Pete,
Thanks for that shamless plug:).
Just kidding, I really do appreciate the info.
Looks like I'll be riding in comfort sooner rather than later, thanks again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had Flanders Ultra Classic bars put on by my dealer when I got the bike. He replaced the cables, apparently without much difficulty.
Hey Dougl, when you say he "replaced" the cables, what did he replace them with? Or do you mean he refitted the existing cables? Not trying to be pedantic, but if there's another option out there apart from the one I've already "plugged" :) I'd like to know.....

waiting....waiting....waiting.....takes a long time to get anything out here in the backwoods !!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I am going with the Rivco Riser 1 inch lift and 2 inch set back. The Rocket is my first big bike other than my 900 Scrambler. Not wanting to jump into big mods or alterations untill I have more time in the saddle. When I test rode the H-D Heritage Special last summer, I liked the handle bars. They were new for 2009 Might try something to lay on top of the seat for more comfort.

odie

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hey Dougl, when you say he "replaced" the cables, what did he replace them with? Or do you mean he refitted the existing cables?
My receipt says "replaced cables". It specified which ones - I think on the right side - and it doesn't specify what he replaced them with. Obviously, the UC bars I put on are higher and more swept back than what you get with the Rivco risers and stock bars, or my dealer wouldn't have bothered replacing the cables. In any case, I went this route because there was a bike in the shop with the same bars, which I sat on and liked. I'm 5' 10" and with these bars, I can lean back into the Corbin backrest without any stretching of the arms.

If you want more details, you might try calling Freedom Cycle in Reno 775-358-3500, and ask them about cables for the UC Flanders bars for the Rocket.

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks dougl. I was wondering if you had the Classic or the new Touring. Those bars look like they might pull back far enough on my Touring. I'll look into getting them. Maybe in combo with the new Rivco risers ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts