Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not crazy about the beach bars on the new Speedmaster. They are a bit low and have too much of a pullback. At speeds above about 50, they are kind of hard to hold on to.

Since this bike does not have heated grips and has longer cables than the T120, I imagine it is a much easier bar swap and not have to mod the bar with cutouts. Am I correct?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not crazy about the beach bars on the new Speedmaster. They are a bit low and have too much of a pullback. At speeds above about 50, they are kind of hard to hold on to.

Since this bike does not have heated grips and has longer cables than the T120, I imagine it is a much easier bar swap and not have to mod the bar with cutouts. Am I correct?
I understand what you are saying, but I've got used to the bars. I am quite light touch on the bars when riding, even at high speed, and haven't found them difficult. I have read somewhere else on the forum that people have put risers in to raise the height (obviously), and I think I read somewhere that the Bobber bars can be fitted.

Beerman

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I understand what you are saying, but I've got used to the bars. I am quite light touch on the bars when riding, even at high speed, and haven't found them difficult. I have read somewhere else on the forum that people have put risers in to raise the height (obviously), and I think I read somewhere that the Bobber bars can be fitted.

Beerman
I have already put a 1" chrome spacer from @VABird on my Speedmaster. This helped raise the bar a bit.

However, I ordered an LSL Flat Track bar for the bike today. I hope it's an easy swap.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
finally checked out the new speedmaster in person @ Hermy's last week , bars look + feel "weird"!! today i seen a local friend bought one + he offered me a ride that i will check how they really feel. gotta say they are beauties except the 16" tractor tyres + wheels.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
finally checked out the new speedmaster in person @ Hermy's last week , bars look + feel "weird"!! today i seen a local friend bought one + he offered me a ride that i will check how they really feel. gotta say they are beauties except the 16" tractor tyres + wheels.
Yes, I found the beach bars to be, as you say "weird". It was hard to hold onto them above 50 mph. My hands wanted to just slide off backwards. I have since swapped mine out for an LSL Flat Track bar and 2" ROX risers. So much better.

The top one is the LSL bar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think that a lot of people will decide against the beach bars.
I liked them at first,but after a few miles realised theyd have to go.
I can see where Triumph were coming from re the design,but natural selection caused their extinction some decades ago,for a reason.
Got black Biltwell chumps,which I will fit soon.
Read a post from someone on here that fitted them, with a little cable re routing the only headache.

·
Registered
3 Posts
cable kit

Yes, I found the beach bars to be, as you say "weird". It was hard to hold onto them above 50 mph. My hands wanted to just slide off backwards. I have since swapped mine out for an LSL Flat Track bar and 2" ROX risers. So much better.

The top one is the LSL bar.
Looks great! Just bought the standard flat handlebar and will try to get it on this week. However, the guy in the shop also tried to sell me a "Cable Kit", which seems unnecessary since the new handlebar is shorter and smaller then the old.

Did you have to use a cable kit?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great! Just bought the standard flat handlebar and will try to get it on this week. However, the guy in the shop also tried to sell me a "Cable Kit", which seems unnecessary since the new handlebar is shorter and smaller then the old.

Did you have to use a cable kit?
No, stock cables. I tried a 3" ROX riser and the cables were a little too tight for me. The 2" ROX work great with these bars.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The #1 thing I hated on my test ride of the Speedmaster was the beach bars. #1 thing I hated about the Bobber was the mid controls. If I bought either of them, I'd have to swap the bar from the Bobber to the Speedmaster or the foot controls for the Speedmaster to the Bobber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
The #1 thing I hated on my test ride of the Speedmaster was the beach bars. #1 thing I hated about the Bobber was the mid controls. If I bought either of them, I'd have to swap the bar from the Bobber to the Speedmaster or the foot controls for the Speedmaster to the Bobber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Fully agree! Got the flat handlebar fitted and it's sooo much better. Feels like a completely different bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Blusideupp
Did you have to modify or drill any holes in the LSL bars? Going to fit a set of tracker bars and wondered if custom bars needed anything doing to make them fit.

Your set up looks ideal.
Thanks
Dave
Wales UK

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I had to drill a hole on the throttle side of the bar. The throttle has a little nub that fits in a hole to keep the throttle from slipping on the bar.

I measured it all out and marked with masking tape before I drilled. It came out perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those who fitted new bars, can you please post a pic and your comparison of the new bars, now that you’ve had them for a bit.

I’m seriously thinking of picking up a Speedmaster, as a touring bike. I have a Street Twin and will keep it, but looking for more of a tour ride; not that there’s anything wrong with the ST as a tourer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would you say that the LSL bar without the risers is about the same height as the stock Beach bar?

Yes, I had to drill a hole on the throttle side of the bar. The throttle has a little nub that fits in a hole to keep the throttle from slipping on the bar.

I measured it all out and marked with masking tape before I drilled. It came out perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts