Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the stock t-100 bars are not bad, yet they leave me wanting something. western bars, kinda the same.
has anyone tried cutting a littleoff of the stock bars? what are anyones feeling on the "flat track" bars, compared to stock?
This may be one of those deals where you try 20 different things and wind up back at stock :brk:
G

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
It's funny you should ask.....

The stock bars felt GREAT on the show room floor but after putting some miles behind them, I found them to be lacking. Cutting to the chase, the best bars I settled on (after trying four different bars with and w/o risers) my old Sportster 'Sport' bars worked WONDERS with regard to comfort for those long days in the saddle.
- YET -
They differ from the Bonnie bars in width and height alone!?!?!? The angle seems to be virtually identical, and the height is lower by no more than an inch, and narrower by only an inch. THAT'S IT!?!

I'm working with a set of straight-across "flat track" bars with no rise.... on my current Bonnie (my freshly powder coated Sportster bars won't work with my 1/4 fairing). These suckers is W I D E ! And as much as I don't like the width (they're so wide I can't use bar end mirrors), I've done some hundred mile days (w/rear-sets) in total comfort?!?

I say a guy has nothing to lose by trimming a little off the stock bars..... hold on, lemme go measure from one end of my Sportster bars to the other end..... and see how much, or if in fact they're narrower (I don't have factory bars anymore). Be right back......

27" from one end to the other, how wide are the stock bars?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
well, you can always unload the extra bars here, I'm sure someone will buy them. I like my low cafe bars a lot, but I've really been wanting some clip-ons or M bars.

I think I'm going to wait for now, but I may try to find a reasonably priced set of clip ons, they will really lower the profile of my bike, especially after I install the smaller gauges with D-9s brackets he sent me, Thanks!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yeppers,
multiple bars, hit & miss, money mo money, sold 'em all. You see below:

*M Bars
*Flat track bars (I'm sporting these right now)
*Flander's "Clubman" bars
*Factory Bonnie bars

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The Bella Corse Western bars are supposed to be HD bars--are they possibly the Sportster "Sport" bars that FattRat refers to? They are quite similar to the OEM bars for the T100, but just different enough to make a difference for me. They look better-- more smoothly flowing, than the OEM. I've gone from OEM, to M bars, to BC Westerns (not the Norman Hyde Westerns). And I could probably be persuaded to try something else, just for giggles.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
has anybody tried the " ace" bar, set so its high rather than low? it looks like it may give you some different options on the same bar. i have tried the westerns, actually they're on now. the jury is still out..
G

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hand position is a huge factor for me. I have to get the feeling I like or I can't be happy.

That Flanders Clubman FattRat is showing is one of two; that's the narrow one. I've got the wide one on my T100, and it suits me pretty close to exactly perfect, and as a bonus, it's more like the vintage bikes' were.

I had to try about four or five different bars on my SV before I got the right feeling. Incicentally, I got swindled by two different online businesses in that debacle.

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where do you get the Flanders bars from?
G

·
Registered
303 Posts
At the dealer (Calif. BMW/Calif. Triumph); they had the narrow in stock, but had to order the wide. They place my hands farther apart, and a bit lower and maybe just a bit further forward than the stock bar. I'm 6', and it works extremely well. (I have a bad back, and couldn't take the sportbike position; I like the classic position.)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do the Flanders bars have those dimples that the harleys require?
they're a pain when getting the throttle side tightened down (on a bonny)
G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts