Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I demoed the Speed Triple 1200 RS, The rider triangle and I were a good fit. The RR handlebars are forward and lower so, I'm concerned that will be too much for my rebuilt shoulder and software industry tortured wrists.
I had a Ducatista refer to "Neely" bars being a sweet option for Triumph motorcycles. If I find the handlebar position to be too forward and low, will I be able to retrofit some more neutral bars (or clip-ons) to match the factory RS position?
I'm under the impression the footpegs are tweaked some too but, this is apparently pretty subtle. Whether that is an issue or not, I'm assuming that part of the frame is the same so, stock RS footpegs would be an easy swap.

Why all the concerns about "fixing" a special edition motorcycle I haven't thrown a leg over? No insectoid headlight arrangement and that gorgeous red color? That Cafe fairing should also cut the wind some too!

TIA, Sid

·
Registered
2019 Street Triple R
286 Posts
The RR bars are much lower, so switching to RS-height bars will likely entail length issues with the brake line, clutch cable and electrical cabling. I doubt it would be a simple conversion…

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The RR bars are much lower, so switching to RS-height bars will likely entail length issues with the brake line, clutch cable and electrical cabling. I doubt it would be a simple conversion…
Looking at the Moto GP2 "Daytona" as an example, I'm hoping the electrics aren't going to be too short. A brake line and clutch cable would be pretty easy swaps if needed.

·
Registered
2019 Street Triple R
286 Posts
Looking at the Moto GP2 "Daytona" as an example, I'm hoping the electrics aren't going to be too short. A brake line and clutch cable would be pretty easy swaps if needed.
Well, the Daytona “cheats” a bit by using the Street Triple wiring harness, hence the extra coiled wiring by the Daytona’s clip-ons. If the Speed Triple RR uses the same wiring harness as the Speed Triple RS then you might indeed have that extra wiring length to play with; I don’t know whether or not that is the case. Triumph did take a bit of criticism from Daytona reviewers for that unsightly extra wiring, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they skipped that approach on the RR.

Edit: Given the RR’s electronic suspension, it seems highly unlikely they use the same wiring harness.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw an RR on a display stand at the IMS Dallas show and it was a real looker IMHO. Normally, I'm not a general fan of red but, that particular motorcycle won me over. The RS is nice but, next to the RR it was no contest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts