Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changing my stock bars to superbars with bar end mirrors.
Is this a easy task to handle . im good with tools , but this is new for me. i guess the big question is are there any tricks to help set up the alignment with all aspects of this job.
as well changing out my stock seat to a NH solo seat any problems here. any advice is great for me. :???:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Very easy. The bars will not require new cables. To get the grips off, I use a hacksaw blade slid under the rubber and then worked around the bars. They will soon pop loose. Then loosen the obvious screws to remove the switch gear, which will simply slide off the bar ends. You will have to remove the bar clamp (with towel on tank) and move the bars around to get enough clearance to remove the switch gear. Then just reverse the process. Play around a bit to get the elevation on the bars that feel best. Tighten the clamp to 26lbft.
Take some plain old rubbing alcohol and wet the insides of the rubber grips, quickly then sliding them into position. They will set in a few minutes and can be ridden in an hour. They will also be easy to remove next time. Be sure to double check all cables and wires from full lock left/right to be sure there is no interference. Look closely at the brake/speedo cable. With flat bars mine rubbed the rear of the fender under hard braking, and just needed some minor repositioning.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The hardest part is maneuevering the bars and stuff around to be able to slide each lever off. It's tight, but you'll get it. And as far as aliging the bars, you'll just have to do that by eye. And then adjust the angle to taste. Oh, and a little wd-40 squirted under the left grip with a thin screwdriver jammed under it as far as it will go will help loosen it up so you can slide it right off.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I cannot emphasize Paul's comment "put a towel on the tank" enough when removing and replacing bars. I use thick blanket material in the event I drop something (like the handlebar) on the gas tank. Nothing ruins your day more than scratching or denting a major piece of bodywork like your tank.
- Bob -

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-04-23 02:49 ]

·
Registered
835 Posts
Don't use a hacksaw blade as mentioned above!!! what a crazy idea, everyone know to use a quarter stick of dynamite, silly!! Seriously though, to get the grips off, all you need to do is squirt a little wd-40 out the straw right in between the grips and bar....piece of cake....wipe off the excess before installing on superbars...you'll love them, that's what I put on too...

:wink:
looky

1 - 5 of 5 Posts