Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running low UK bars on my 72 Daytona and the factory wiring looks messy to me. Anyone ever run their wires inside the handlebars? I did it on my old Harley years ago, but those were 1" bars and they were higher bars ( hands just hung on the bars, no real weight on them). These bars are 7/8" and my riding position puts alot of weight on the bar. My real concern is will drilling holes in the bars to run the wiring weaken the bars. I'd hate to go over a bump and have the bars bend or worse, break.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You are missing the two chrome handlebar clips that clip the wire to the handlebars and then the wires dive off under top triple clamp and on to the headlamp.
You must have an iron back to have your handle bars upside down without rear sets , I have to keep my spine straight though i suppose the roads here in NZ are probably a lot worse general condition than the concrete roads in the US.
Looking on utube you might need to replace the chainguard rear bolt and check your rear brake linings ,you don't want those rivets gouging out your drum

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Since posting that video I have installed the clips, just don't like the looks of those grey looms. I've been riding with those bars like that since '99 and the only complaint I have is achy wrists in the beginning of the riding season. After a few times out all is good!
Do you think drilling holes in the bars will weaken them to the point of bending or breaking?

·
Registered
235 Posts
This came up a while ago and, while he didn't explicitly say it was safe, I'm guessing the fact that he gave advice signifies that it's not a problem:
http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/116533-run-wires-through-handlebars.html#post1327547

And for what it's worth, almost all of the early hondas were plumbed inside the bars. A real pain for finding shorts and swapping bars 40 years later, but definitely clean to look at and, if they used it on a 750 with 7/8" bars, then I think that's a yes-vote.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts