Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I searched :)

Coming from close to 10 years of sportbikes, the S3's riding position is hard to get used to. My wrists actually hurt with amount of pullback on the stock bars. So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know if the stock M696 or M1000S handle bar would fit on the S3? (they seem lower and straighter)

2) Without going to clipons, what would be some choices for handlebars that have lower rise and way less pullback. I'd like to be lower and further forward.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Look up Suburban Machinery. That's what I have.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have been wanting to change up my bars as well, haven't found exactly what i am looking for either. I also want something a bit lower.

Now that I looked at the Woodcraft site these look to be perfect with the different riser options!
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=OOOX

I wasn't thinking of going with clip on's because I didn't want to drop the 6 inches in height. I would love to drop between 2 and 4 inches, but the suburban machinery bars are the only ones I have seen that would accomplish this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I came across Rizoma clipons (that go on top of the yoke) and checked out Suburban Machinery. How would those two compare??

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the same issue, found the renthal mcgrath low and LSL drag bars to be the best options for me

I got the LSL and also had woodcraft clipons.

I also had the rizoma, but it turned out to be a higher bar than the stocker and shorter as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just invert your stock bars. Flip em upside down and backwards. Looks really cool, and gets you in a much better position while still being comfortable. Unfortunately ur controls will touch the tank at full lock. This didn't matter to me at first and I loved the setup, but after awhile it started bothering me and I finally got tommaselli adjustable 52mm clip ons from motomeccaspares.com. The clip ons work great, are only a tad lower than the inverted bars and may even be slightly more comfortable since theyre adjustable and you can get em at just the angle you like for your wrists. Either way I definitely recommend.

·
Registered
108 Posts
@Delan - what do you use now and would you have a pic?
I had my Rizoma bar on it last (as it was most narrow and made for the easiest commuting). But it was too high and not comfortable for extended rides.

I prefer the LSL though for enjoyable longer rides, it is wide and that forgives the sweep back somewhat and Low (flat)

Not my bike unfortunately (cos my bike just got stolen)

they are 33" wide with a 4" pullback.

http://www.mmpc.net.au/Images/LSL/handlebars/FatBar/128LXD2AN stil.jpg
http://www.mmpc.net.au/Images/LSL/handlebars/lsl_drag_bar_bike.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could always go with a set of motocross bars. They are alot cheaper and come in both 7/8 and 1 1/8 depending on your setup. You can get them in various different rise and pull back measurements as well.
Agreed...you can get these in Black, Gold , Silver and they have plenty of pullback options and height options. I had a set of Pro Taper CR mid's on mine and they worked great.

·
Registered
555 Posts
From another thread:

I picked up a Ducati Streetfighter bar from one of the members on a Ducati Forum. He switched for a bar more like the one u want to replace. They may not be Magura made but they look an awful lot like the stock bars. If not for Triumph lazered onto ours they'd be hard to tell apart except for their different pullback and rise.
Less rise, pull back and narrower. They're 1-1/8" at the clamps like stock and tapered at the ends like stock. All stock controls will fit excepting the bar ends but a machinist honed mine out to 17mm with ease and tge stock bar ends mounted right up. Or u could order Ducati bar ends if u were so inclined. Your control locating pins won't line up with the Ducati control locating holes so you'll have to grind yours down or drill new ones. I ground mine and the plastic housings grip well to the texture of the Duc bars.
One note: suspension adjustments will be slightly more difficult as the lower rise puts the bars closer to the adjusters. Overhead access is limited. I go at them from the sides.

Not as low as clip ons but not as high as stock. Little lean but no numb hands either.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought I'd update everyone...

I just received a set of used Ducati Streetfighter bars (Thanks to 09Triple's suggestion) and they're just AWESOME!!

Lower, flatter, less pull-back and very versatile. Tilted up, they're very comfortable and not too aggressive. Tilted down, they're a perfect in-between the stock bars and clip-ons.

I just came back from a quick test ride and I'm super happy with the purchase!!! No clearance issues either.

Cheers and thanks for your suggestions!

e.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thought I'd update everyone...

I just received a set of used Ducati Streetfighter bars (Thanks to 09Triple's suggestion) and they're just AWESOME!!

Lower, flatter, less pull-back and very versatile. Tilted up, they're very comfortable and not too aggressive. Tilted down, they're a perfect in-between the stock bars and clip-ons.

I just came back from a quick test ride and I'm super happy with the purchase!!! No clearance issues either.

Cheers and thanks for your suggestions!

e.
Where did you purchased the ducati bars? my bike has some clip ons and I dont like them

Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dealers want 250$ last I checked. I frequented DucatiMS and PMd an SF owner there that switched his stockers for Renthals. I got out of it for under $100. Dr Erni said he was going to try there also. If he scored his there it might be a good place to check b

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealers want 250$ last I checked. I frequented DucatiMS and PMd an SF owner there that switched his stockers for Renthals. I got out of it for under $100. Dr Erni said he was going to try there also. If he scored his there it might be a good place to check b
Rodny, that's exactly what I did as well. The bars I got had a little bit of rash on them, but I tidied it up with a Dremel and when bar ends go on, it won't even be noticeable.

I just got back from a longer ride this evening and I seriously can't say enough good things about these bars. Body position is perfect and the bike feels much more sporty... so getting into corners is just pure awesome. I could potentially see some wrist soreness after a while, but well worth it.

Thanks again to 09 Triple for his advice and help!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts