Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, more q's from the noob. So, Ive been thinking of picking up the riding position a bit. Ive looked at the clip on risers and the top yoke kit available at bella corse and also the LSL CEK. I lean towards bars, I think that while the clip on risers look good, they take a little from the retro cafe style. I like the idea of the top yoke kit and then getting bars to fit. I guess Im concerned with how much work will be required. I suppose that it will require at least a new brake line which will require a brake bleed/re-top. The thing I liked about the LSL kit was that it already had the proper line included but Im just not sure of how I like the bars that are included or the higher price tag.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I gone many routes with this. I find the LSL CEK is by far the most comfortable when doing 800 mile weekends. You can't beat the stock bars for the proper Cafe racer look though.

LSL CEK

Stock bars on top of triple clamps.

Tomaselli 3 way adjustable bars.

·
Registered
858 Posts
On 2006-12-07 14:08, rbrian_taylor wrote:
I don't have any pics and don't know of any Thruxton owners who have used this product but take a look at the ConvertiBars. They fit the Thruxton and seem to be pretty much the best of both worlds for about the same $ as a conversion. They are adjustable so you can change them depending on the mission and keep the cafe look.
Ask and ye shall recieve. I have the Convertibars on my Thruxton. Very nice bars, excellent craftsmanship, cnc machined aluminum, dorky name, can adjust to about any position you want, front, back, up (about 4 inches), down. You can see my pics at
My ConvertiBars. I might be selling mine soon, as I just bought a British Customs handlebar conversion kit, similar to thrux-ton-ups.

Gary

[ This message was edited by: oregonthruxton on 2006-12-07 19:52 ]

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I'm faily critical of people who try to turn the Thrux into a standard but I understand wanting more comfort. I mounted these clips over the top clamp of my TBS and I think it still looks fine; the secret is to get some really trick-looking machined clipons so they look great exposed. Going this route requires you to drop the front a lot but I'm still happy with the handling of my bike.

I later switched to the regular LSLs because the front didnt have to be dropped quite as much. I think the Tomasellis would look really nice mounted below the top clamp, mounted above looked a little too odd for my tastes.

[ This message was edited by: TBSstunta on 2006-12-08 11:28 ]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Im leaning towards the LSL CEK now. I thought they didnt look all that great before but now I realize that that was because the picture on the site was with the black bars....the chrome ones look much better.

Thrux-ton-up...what mirrors are those? How easy/difficult is the switch to the LSL kit? What did you do to get those sweet nickel finish bottom fork tubes? Did you just remove them and send them to powder coat? Great looking bike.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
On 2006-12-08 12:28, hificus wrote:

Thrux-ton-up...what mirrors are those? How easy/difficult is the switch to the LSL kit? What did you do to get those sweet nickel finish bottom fork tubes? Did you just remove them and send them to powder coat? Great looking bike.

Thanks,
Mirrors are Rizomas.
Easy swap for the LSL kit - do need a big honker of a socket for that decorative chrome cap on the top triple clamp though.
Fork tubes I stripped and polished in my garage.

John

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here is a some bad photos of the Tomessellis, installed under the top, Rizoma mirrors and reservoir. I was very close to looking for another bike due to wrist issues, but the Tomessellis saved me (thanks Thrux-ton-up once again).

I have got to take some shots in the sunlight!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Based on the pics from Thrux-ton-up (thanks again) I installed the LSL kit over the weekend.
My first experience after 500 kilometers: great handling, great riding comfort, totally different riding position. It feels more like a Speed Triple now. I love it. Only downside to it: The wind pressure increases enormously. At 100 mph I really had to hold tight.
The look changed somewhat. But not to the worse. Just different. I'll post some pics this week. So you can see how it looks on a black Thrux.

I'm probably going to change to a different bar, though. Probably a drag-bar. But that's the beauty of that kit. You can easily switch bars...

Streetsailor

·
Registered
57 Posts
I finally managed to shoot a few pics.

This one is with my new LSL CEK, LSL Streetbar, Protech bar-end mirrors, bar-end weights and fork gaiters.

In the meantime I lowered the gauges, which gives it a much leaner look. Haven't got a chance to make proper pics, yet...but this should give you an idea...

Soooooo comfortable, now. Kinda like a chopper. Very cool riding position.

I love it!

Streetsailor

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm a little confused here! :???:
Why put higher bars on a Thruxton, after all it is a cafe race styled bike!
Wouldn't it be easier to have bought a Bonny instead?
Or was it a problem that only came to light after you'd bought the Thruxton?

Quite a few Thruxton owners (on this site) have done this mod, and I'm just curious as to why! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are right. It's a cafe racer. And it took me quite some time to make this decision. But after 16000 Km in 1 1/2 years and lots of longer tours I got sick of the wrist pain. And simply gave it a try.
Looking into the various options of handlebars I thought "if I change the bars I'll do it properly".

I can say now I haven't regret it. The bike still looks good. It's just a little different. When you look at Colorado Norton Works non of their bikes has clipons. And they all look great. The cafe racer look isn't necesssarily based upon the style of the handlebars.

And I tell ya. It's so much fun to drive that babe with the streetbar...honestly! You should try it. It's different to a Bonnie, too, due to the rear-set foot pegs, (probably) better brakes and different motor characteristic.

But it's up the your individual style. I might change it next year...who knows. Right now it's the perfect solution for me.

Streetsailor

·
Registered
276 Posts
Handlebar swap is generally to improve comfort for longer rides. I was fine with the stock clipons until I took an 800 mile trip this summer.

There are more differences between the Bonny and Thrux than handlebars...front wheel, front brake, gearing, carbs, bodywork. So it's easier (and cheaper) to take the Thrux one step or two steps closer to a Bonny than it is to make changes to the standard or T100.

·
Registered
959 Posts
On 2006-12-07 13:04, Thrux-ton-up wrote:
I gone many routes with this. I find the LSL CEK is by far the most comfortable when doing 800 mile weekends. You can't beat the stock bars for the proper Cafe racer look though.

LSL CEK

Stock bars on top of triple clamps.

Tomaselli 3 way adjustable bars.
Thrustonup, I (we) always like looking at your bike :-D :-D . What is the prognosis on the revamp? I have been out of the loop (work) so I am behind on the project.

Respectively Yours

Steve Du Bose

Gear Head At Large

:yayyy: :chug: :yayyy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts