Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to swap my bars for a set of clubmans but I can't seem to get the end caps off my 08 Bonnie. I tried every conceivable allen key in my garage and nothing fit. Anyone know what size and if they are bonded or something? Do I even need to remove them to take the grips off?

The rest of the process looks pretty easy, but I seem to be stuck at the first step. Maybe I just need a better set of hex wrenches... Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
372 Posts
hi. just went out and looked at the bonnie. i have an 08 t100 and a 3 mm allen wrench from a craftsman metric set fits perfectly. try the 3 mm. -keith

·
Registered
585 Posts
Depending on how old your Bonnie is and whether it spends much time in the wet, you might have some rust keeping the bar ends on. I'd spray it with some penetrating oil and let it work its way through.

Having said that, I also used a hex key I had in my toolbox (I guess it was a 3mm) and mine were a bit stubborn but they came out.

On my Scrambler I did need to remove the bar ends before the rubber grips could come off.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Once you get them off - boil some water and put the sidestand down.
Pour boiling water over the left hand grip - and then using a small towel rotate it firmly - a few twists and it should slide off because the rubber expands.
A tiny touch of oil when refitting will let it slide back on.
Saves you brutalising it with a spanner or some other tool - I have seen dealer mechanics do this.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I'm sure you're using metric allen wrenches? I know, but I've been that "uninformed" in the past......

·
Registered
471 Posts
Once you get them off - boil some water and put the sidestand down.
Pour boiling water over the left hand grip - and then using a small towel rotate it firmly - a few twists and it should slide off because the rubber expands.
A tiny touch of oil when refitting will let it slide back on.
Saves you brutalising it with a spanner or some other tool - I have seen dealer mechanics do this.

Another good installation trick is hairspray on the bar and inside the grip. Slippery when wet, sticks tight when dry!

Jim :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts