1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me about thread vs. no thread on handle bars

I want to swithch to "M" bars and possible bar end mirrors

Which one should I get ???

If I get threaded will that eliminate any future mirror option ???

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Can anybody tell me about thread vs. no thread on handle bars

I want to swithch to "M" bars and possible bar end mirrors

Which one should I get ???

If I get threaded will that eliminate any future mirror option ???
I think I am partial to no threaded plugs. The reason: any type of bar end mirror can be fitted, pehaps with a bit of ingenuity. With the plugs that is likely as well, but you may find yourself needing to drill them out or remove the plugs.
Get whatever's cheaper. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Threads Vs Plugs

I don't understand

What are the threads for ???

And what do you mean about drilling out the plugs are they permanent or do they screw out ???

·
Registered
180 Posts
The threaded bars have the plugs in them like the stock bars. You can modify a set of regular Napolean mirrors by getting a bolt that matches the plug threads (your end cap screws) and trimming the rubber. It works great I did it for a while with my stock bars. However, if you are thinking about CRG mirrors I don't know that they will fit with the plugged bars.

Hope this helps.

A

·
Registered
453 Posts
So in what way can the threadless bars be capped? I am looking to install only 1 bar and mirror and then cap the other side off. Is this possible?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
So in what way can the threadless bars be capped? I am looking to install only 1 bar and mirror and then cap the other side off. Is this possible?
In fact, it is easily done. Took a 10-32 philips head SS screw and nut. Dug up a large washer that just fit in bar, cut a one inch piece of garden hose. Put screw through cap, put on hose then washer then nut, snugged a bit so nut would hold, slid it in bar and tightened a bit to expand the hose. No problems.
Hell, guess you could glue it on too!

·
Registered
453 Posts
In fact, it is easily done. Took a 10-32 philips head SS screw and nut. Dug up a large washer that just fit in bar, cut a one inch piece of garden hose. Put screw through cap, put on hose then washer then nut, snugged a bit so nut would hold, slid it in bar and tightened a bit to expand the hose. No problems.
Hell, guess you could glue it on too!
Thanks for the advice! Now off to order the bars and CRG mirror.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
just go to a bicycle shop and get some handlebar plugs for 1" bars.
they should have lots to chose from.
Mine are carbon fiber and cost me $.50 each (yeah I know I was swindled)
If they are a little loose then just put some duct tape on the tangs to fit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thread vs. non

Well the bars have arrived and guess what they were pluged (threaded)
:confused:
Now that I have them in hand I get it . After hearing all the talk from all --I contacted New Bonnivile via email and asked for the non capped (open end) version but when the came they were capped.:sad:

New bon was hard to reach by phone but had a back in forth dialouge via email

Thought they understood my request but still sent the threaded version. :mad:

Well I guess I'll stick with this style and sounds like I can make it work.

Hope this helps any furture Bar End newbies :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts