Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for everyone... For cold weather riding I've put a set of GS handguards on my BMW R1150R. Has anyone tried putting a set of Tiger handguards on their Sprint? Just curious how well it worked.

Thanks,
dave

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think most opt for heated grips ,I not too sure but I think hand gaurds would interfear with the bars and the fairing on a ST

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've seen a guy in a sudden cold snap cut a plastic coke bottle in half and zip tie it to the handlebars..

I'm a firm beliver in "if it is a dumb idea but it works... then its not a dumb idea"

·
Registered
523 Posts
In the cold months I carry an empty 10 oz water bottle and some zip ties also. I have not had to resort to it as of yet but I read that story as well and I do carry one now. I usually start with the water bottle full and keep myself hydrated, then keep it when empty just in case. I have a warm and save jacket, and velcro on heated grips, boy that makes the cold bearable.

Lance

·
Registered
899 Posts
I used some generic dirt bike guards for a winter before I got my gerbing gloves. Something off a dirtbike will be cheaper than buying the triumph ones. If you don't like the bright colors you can always spray paint them because nobody really looks at the paint when it's 20 degree's out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, some good ideas. I just find the guards are sooooo nice on a long cold ride, even with the heated grips on. I'll let you know what I do, and if I put them on I'll post some pics.

dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Please please post some pics if you go this route,
I rode from Hobart to the west coast today (about 300km) here in sunny Tasmania and the mid summer temperature was a balmy 4 degrees celcius then a nice summer shower (read deluge) accompanied me for the last 100km.
My main thoughts along the way; apart from how much I love summer; were just the same as yours: Heated Grips and some form of Hand guard ASAP.
Keep us informed please.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a set of Tiger hand guards that I put on my RS in the winter... makes a huge difference keeping the cold wind off... it allows me to ride easily down to 20 F...

See the pics in my album...

BTW... the clutch side is a perfect fit... but on the brake side I had to add a spacer to keep the wind from making it put slight pressure on the brake lever (brake light was always on)... make sure you buy the bolts and spacers for the hand guards as well... it uses the same bolt that hold the clutch and brake levers in place, but it needs to be a bit longer to add the hand guard... I just swap back to the originals when I remove the hand guards in the spring...

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I have a set of Tiger hand guards that I put on my RS in the winter... makes a huge difference keeping the cold wind off... it allows me to ride easily down to 20 F...

See the pics in my album...

BTW... the clutch side is a perfect fit... but on the brake side I had to add a spacer to keep the wind from making it put slight pressure on the brake lever (brake light was always on)... make sure you buy the bolts and spacers for the hand guards as well... it uses the same bolt that hold the clutch and brake levers in place, but it needs to be a bit longer to add the hand guard... I just swap back to the originals when I remove the hand guards in the spring...
I know this thread is old but Im curious about handguards on my 99 Sprint. I tried to find pics but with no success
See the quote above yours. You should be able to fit the '99 Tiger parts without much trouble. They're referred to as "knuckle guards" in the parts fiche.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts