Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a used 2005 Sprint RS, but sadly dont have the handbook.
Until i have sourced one, i wondered if someone could let me know some of the basics.

1) Tyre pressures?

2) Chain slack?

3) How do i set the digital clock? (& zero the trip meters)

4) Is the dipstick oil level read screwed in or on top of threads?

5) Is the rear suspension adjustable for anything other that rebound?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
24,354 Posts
I have recently bought a used 2005 Sprint RS, but sadly dont have the handbook.
Until i have sourced one, i wondered if someone could let me know some of the basics.

1) Tyre pressures?

2) Chain slack?

3) How do i set the digital clock? (& zero the trip meters)

4) Is the dipstick oil level read screwed in or on top of threads?

5) Is the rear suspension adjustable for anything other that rebound?

Thanks in advance :)
Snoops you need to get that handbook:)

1) maximum pressures are 36psi fnt & 42 psi rear

2) Chain slack from memory is 35mm

3) pass

4) dipstick oil level measured after being fully screwed in

5) not sure on an RS

cheers
Dave

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think there is a handbook available on site here as a PDF?, or PM if you are desperate.
Good luck ****
PS 5 No

·
Registered
38 Posts
Owners Manual

Go to the Sprint owners club or just type in Search 2005 Triumph Sprint handbook. Either way you should be able to download it.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Keep in mind that you have an '04, regardless of registration year. The '05 manual won't do you much good, though I think the tire pressure specs remain unchanged, and I am not aware of a PDF version, legal or otherwise, even existing for the earlier bikes.

As Dave said, max tire pressure is 36/42 F/R.

Chain slack is 35-40mm, measured at the tightest part of the chain, halfway between sprockets on the bottom run. (If you can lift the chain far enough to touch the bottom of the swingarm, it needs tightening. If you can't quite get it that far, you're in the ballpark.)

Zeroing the trip meters is easy, just hit Select until you're on the one you want, then hold Reset for about two seconds. Setting the clock is a bit more involved, and always ends up with my readouts changing to ºC and kilometers/hour while the clock stubbornly stays the same. Disconnecting one of the leads from the battery at exactly Noon or Midnight is the easiest way to do it. Seriously, you either hold in the Select button for a really long time until the clock starts blinking, or you hold them both in. I can never remember which way sets the clock and which one changes units.

Again, as Dave said, dipstick fully screwed in.

Your rear shock is adjustable for preload as well. Probably important to remember that your '04 has the rear end of a '99-'04 ST, not an '00-'03 RS (or '05-up anything).

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I believe Snoops is looking for an owner's handbook rather than a shop manual, though now that you mention it I don't think there's anything in the owner's handbook that's not also in the shop manual (or the Haynes, for that matter).

The '99-'01 manual won't be much help for an '02-up bike. The guts are pretty seriously different.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice & info. Youve all been very helpful.

Am searching Fleabay for a handbook. Im sure i'll find one, but youve given me enough basic info for the basics.

Many thanks :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts