Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo!

I'm on the verge of giving myself a major headache...and why not!? It seems it's more or less obligatory for me...I'm addicted...

So, who has the green cams and pistons?
I've been offered the cams, pistons and liners at a reasonable price...What the h*** are liners? Do I need 'um?

Is this a job for a pro or can a wrenching fool like myself handle it??? Mick you better get two of them blueberry thingys you carry around...you'll need two walking talking offices next winter. Kidding!!

I understand that with a mod like this I'll get jetting issues etc...but is the mod worth doing performance wise? What gain in power can be expected? And is it worth the hassle of ripping the engine apart?

I mean...this years winter mods has given me a pretty darn sporty bike...but it might just be the slowest sporty bike on the planet :hihi:
I guess I feel I need to align the engine power of the bike with the new set-up. Or maybe not...maybe I should work on getting rid of the chicken strips on my wheels first :hihi:
Confusing!

Whatchoo all think then??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Spooner,
I've fitted my bike with green cams recently, and it isn't that hard.
You have to take adjust the the valves after the replacement and maybe replace some gaskets, but thats all.

As You sure know the weather here doesn't allow us to drive our bikes right now, so I haven't tested it yet to see how much improved it is over stock, but I'm hoping to get close to 90 HP. That's after airbox model swiss cheese, factory pro needle kit, rejetting, unrestricted inlets, green cams and open exhaust.

If I where You I wouldn't bother with the pistons and liners, I think it's much hassle for a relative small preformance gain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you have chicken strips then your not over-rideing the power you have, but hey going faster isn't all about tight sweepers, going fast in a straight line is good to :-D myself, I'm not sure what I would do, but I do indeed like to go fast also, but for the cost is it really worth it?? at my age I would say no, but then the first thing I did was hop up the Harley before it was even broke in :???: My TBS is plenty fast for me..aahh, heck go for it, fast bikes are for the youngsters I guess :-D

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
I understand that with a mod like this I'll get jetting issues etc...but is the mod worth doing performance wise? What gain in power can be expected? And is it worth the hassle of ripping the engine apart?
Switching from the 10:1 to the 10.6:1 pistons will give you about a 2% peak horsepower boost.

Personal opinion? Not worth the effort unless you need to replace the rings anyhow.

The green cams are a different matter. Installation is pretty simple and with tuning they'll give you a good midrange on a mostly stock bike.

To get the full benefit of the increased lift and duration you'll need a good exhaust system -- more than just a silencer.

Jim

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2006-03-09 18:53, Bear wrote:
If you have chicken strips then your not over-rideing the power you have, but hey going faster isn't all about tight sweepers, going fast in a straight line is good to :-D myself, I'm not sure what I would do, but I do indeed like to go fast also, but for the cost is it really worth it?? at my age I would say no, but then the first thing I did was hop up the Harley before it was even broke in :???: My TBS is plenty fast for me..aahh, heck go for it, fast bikes are for the youngsters I guess :-D
Zactly! Giving as many bikes as possible a good whooping at the red lights is important...cars don't count 'cause they don't stand a chance anyhoooooo

Jimmy900!
More midrange sound good....
But..I'm gonna calm down a few notches and wait until next winter. Gotta enjoy the new mods properly first.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
361 Posts
The stock bike has 82-83 crank hp depending on what year specs you read which is about 70-71 rear wheel hp figuring on a 15% loss between crank and rear.

I put green cams, open airbox, rejet, dunstall replicas (maybe not as open as they should be) etc on my 2000 TBS and my Dyno says 83 hp to the rear wheel which translates to about 97-98 crank hp.

Bike runs good.

-

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-03-13 20:51, ronniena wrote:
where do you get these green cams, how much are they
I found some, which I didn't buy, at both Sprint Manufacturing and at Triumph-Ant.
3 cams there will cost you between $250-350.

Last time I checked they had Trident and Daytona cams. According to Mick they're quite easy to get a hold of. I'll probably wait until next season.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put green cams, open airbox, rejet, dunstall replicas (maybe not as open as they should be) etc on my 2000 TBS and my Dyno says 83 hp to the rear wheel which translates to about 97-98 crank hp.

Bike runs good.

-
Do you remember what kind of rejetting you needed after installing the green cams?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I got my green cams off ebay. Picked up both the intake and exhaust from a used 2001 Speed Triple with 14k miles on it. With shipping it came to $101 and change. The job was easy however, it can be time consuming but maybe that's because this was my first time ever changing cams on a motorcycle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts