Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 885cc injected yellow tiger, It has about 30,000 miles and has had very few faults.

My question is regarding the right side of the engine. When i start the bike in the morning in my garage or in the evening in the parking garage of my job i get a queeking sound just like the queek from a hampster or mouse cage when the little critter is running on the exersize wheel

The noise seems to be at about 1/2 engine spead and i am leaning towards the alternator being the problem

Has anyone else experieced thi type of fault and is the alternator hard to remove and replace the bearing, hasanyone else experieced this type of problem.

Best regards

Peter

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a 2000 885cc injected yellow tiger, It has about 30,000 miles and has had very few faults.

My question is regarding the right side of the engine. When i start the bike in the morning in my garage or in the evening in the parking garage of my job i get a queeking sound just like the queek from a hampster or mouse cage when the little critter is running on the exersize wheel

The noise seems to be at about 1/2 engine spead and i am leaning towards the alternator being the problem

Has anyone else experieced thi type of fault and is the alternator hard to remove and replace the bearing, hasanyone else experieced this type of problem.

Best regards

Peter
Hello Peter.

This is just a guess from your description of the noise so I could be barking up the wrong tree here....

The squeak you describe sounds like the noise I have sometimes heard from the fuel pump for a short period after the ignition is switched on. It seems to occur after extended periods of non-use, when perhaps the fuel or evapourated from the pump or drained back into the tank and goes away after a second or two. Is it possible that this is the noise you are hearing?

Jon

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hello Peter.

This is just a guess from your description of the noise so I could be barking up the wrong tree here....

The squeak you describe sounds like the noise I have sometimes heard from the fuel pump for a short period after the ignition is switched on. It seems to occur after extended periods of non-use, when perhaps the fuel or evapourated from the pump or drained back into the tank and goes away after a second or two. Is it possible that this is the noise you are hearing?

Jon
Hi Jon;

Have a listen to my Tiger after sitting for over a month and me trying to start it on a cold December afternoon, does this sound like yours?...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Q3PDChkbs&feature=channel_page

This is most definitely the fuel pressure regulator. Seems to be only a nuisance in cold conditions, and possibly after extended periods without starting it.

Good post here on that topic:

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/79350-start-up-noise-trouble-starting-2.html

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi Kurgan - what a clean bike you have, alsmost showroom condition!

The noise on the Youtube clip when you turn the key is what I normally hear in sound and duration however the volume is hard to judge.

I have sometimes heard this noise sound a bit more 'strained' which is what I was trying to refer to in my post. Rather like the pump/regulator system is trying to pull fuel through but is gettiing air. In these cases, the pump seems to whine for a bit longer, maybe three or four seconds, at a higher pitch (hamster squeak) until the pressure is up to the mark , which would support the air in the fuel pump theory. Anyway , it has not happened for a while!

I don't know if this is going to help you, Peter!

Jon

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Kurgan - what a clean bike you have, alsmost showroom condition!

The noise on the Youtube clip when you turn the key is what I normally hear in sound and duration however the volume is hard to judge.

I have sometimes heard this noise sound a bit more 'strained' which is what I was trying to refer to in my post. Rather like the pump/regulator system is trying to pull fuel through but is gettiing air. In these cases, the pump seems to whine for a bit longer, maybe three or four seconds, at a higher pitch (hamster squeak) until the pressure is up to the mark , which would support the air in the fuel pump theory. Anyway , it has not happened for a while!

I don't know if this is going to help you, Peter!

Jon
Thanks Jon. She's a beauty. Her pristine condition is due to low kilometres (~ 2000)... as it shared duty with a number of other toys in my stable, and I've only owned her for less than 10 months. Next summer she'll be my main ride as I've unloaded most of my fleet. The Tiger has proven to be the best all-purpose motorcycle I've owned.

What you describe is EXACTLY what I hear on those cold days after a long duration between starts. Usually the "whine" lasts 2 to 3 seconds as the pump primes, then goes away. Again, its likely the "chatty" fuel pressure regulator. Nothing to worry about.

I don't know if this helps Peter. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts