Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I'm here with a 2007 Sprint, 25,000+ miles, that won't idle after having tried to balance the throttle bodies on my own. I've been reading through the forums and attempted to learn off other peoples' experiences.

Initially I tried to balance them with TuneBoy, but met with little success because it seemed that when I took off the airbox, TuneBoy stopped reading the vacuum values. So I ended up turning the bleed screws 1/2 turn out. That only left me with a motorbike that wouldn't idle.

I tried playing around with resetting the ISCV and the adaption and letting it run, but no success that route. I noticed that the TPS would reset to .60 volts, but after having turned the bike on and off it would jump back to .67v or so? (Forgive me if I'm off, I forgot if it was 6.0v or .6v!)

Having no luck that direction I tried to build a manometer with some hoses and whatnot with ATF fluid. That totally back fired when I warmed up the motorbike and hooked it up and the bike tried to devour the ATF fluid. Guess I didn't put it together right! Or something.

I also tried adjusting the ISCV to the correct specs with .5mm clearance, but it is all the way in and still doesn't have clearance.

So, now I've gotten no where and the check engine light is on now! I'm beginning to think I should never trust myself with my own maintenance, unless it consists of changing a oil filter and oil.

Just hoping I don't have to take it to one of the bastard mechanics in the area that work on Triumphs. Either that or just give up and sell the damn thing or part it out. (I've gotten mighty frustrated...)

Halp! And the bike runs with some throttle....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Initially I tried to balance them with TuneBoy, but met with little success because it seemed that when I took off the airbox, TuneBoy stopped reading the vacuum values.
I may be off in left field as I don't have any experience with tune boy's but from my experience it is not necessary or desirable to have the airbox in place when performing this task.

So I ended up turning the bleed screws 1/2 turn out. That only left me with a motorbike that wouldn't idle.

I tried playing around with resetting the ISCV and the adaption and letting it run, but no success that route. I noticed that the TPS would reset to .60 volts, but after having turned the bike on and off it would jump back to .67v or so? (Forgive me if I'm off, I forgot if it was 6.0v or .6v!)
I would try to reset the bleed screws back to the original "as found" position. 1/2 of a turn is a major adjustment.

Having no luck that direction I tried to build a manometer with some hoses and whatnot with ATF fluid. That totally back fired when I warmed up the motorbike and hooked it up and the bike tried to devour the ATF fluid. Guess I didn't put it together right! Or something.
When you constructed your manometer did you put in a restrictor (very small orifice) in each line? Without them the vaccum the engine creates will quickly empty your manometer.

I
also tried adjusting the ISCV to the correct specs with .5mm clearance, but it is all the way in and still doesn't have clearance.

So, now I've gotten no where and the check engine light is on now! I'm beginning to think I should never trust myself with my own maintenance, unless it consists of changing a oil filter and oil.
After you button the machine back up (hopefully after a successfull throttle body balance) and if everything is connected correctly, the check engine light should clear after a certain amount of starts. (I don't remember how many)

Just hoping I don't have to take it to one of the bastard mechanics in the area that work on Triumphs. Either that or just give up and sell the damn thing or part it out. (I've gotten mighty frustrated...)
Again, try to get everything adjusted back to the as found position and check for the ability to idle correctly. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
First things first:
You have no business touching any adjustment screws if you aren't getting reliable pressure readings from all 3 TB's. How would you hope to improve anything?

0) Reset your error codes.

1) get the system reading the pressures.
TuneBoy adjustment works differently than manometer adjustment. The MAP sensor provides the pressure readings.

The 3 into 1 vacuum line assembly and MAP sensor need to be pulled off the airbox and plumbed and plugged into the bike just like Triumph had it. The auxiliary nipple on the center TB should be capped just as Triumph had it.
I am guessing that this was not the case.

2) Remove the IAT from the airbox and plug it into the harness. Trumpy wasts to see all its sensors.

3) Start with all 3 bleed valves 3/4 turn open as they've been screwed up.

4) Reset adaptation. Who knows what bad habits the bike learned while mis-plumbed?

5) Now try to start the bike and wait for the idle to adapt. Adjust at normal warm idle speed. Don't turn anything without 3 reliable pressure readings. If you adjust, give 30 seconds or so for the pressures to settle before further adjustment.

The TPS only reads 0.6 during the adjust procedure. That modem noise you hear is the stepper backing off all the way to plates closed and then some slack. After the procedure the stepper bumps back up to a reasonable idle lift. If you adjusted to 0.6 with idle lift you've got another issue to fix before attempting to balance.
-Hope you didn't touch it-

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
OK tuners... So.... can the TBs be balanced with the tuneboy readout or do I need to buy/make a manometer? My tuneboy readings were about 12 (units?) apart IIRC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts