Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad to learn it got straighened out to your satisfaction. When you get real customer service it is a wonderful thing indeed, isn't it?

Got any pictures of how the new mirrors look on your bike?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for following the thread; if someone (mod?) can tell me how to change the title, that would be great. Here are few shots of the bike

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
:(
Based on the Halcyon web site photos and talk about them on this forum, I ordered a set of the Halcyon 820 bar end mirrors. I was really excited when they finally arrived only to be very disappointed when I opened up the box. The packaging was great and the mirrors were wrapped up really nice but once I took a good look it was clear that my idea of quality is different than theirs. The biggest issue is that the rim around the glass is not finished at all; it’s very rough and jagged, like they just didn't bother to finish the job (see photo). The edge is sharp enough that if you're not careful you could cut yourself (not to mention that the edges catch on the towel when you try to clean the glass). Additionally there is a fairly good size gap between the housing and the black plastic that keeps the glass in place (which isn't glass...at least it doesn't feel/sound like glass, but it is fairly clear, even at speed; not much vibration)

They do have a rather slick bar-end mounting specifically for the new Bonneville that threads right into the bars and holds nice and tight. The issue though is that one of the machined dovetail joints wasn’t very accurate so I had to take a small finishing file and clean up the joint on the bar end portion. Not difficult or time consuming but there is no reason it wasn't correct at the factory.

The adjustment is not all that convenient either; to move the head you need a 10mm socket which means there is no adjustment while riding to fine tune. The way that they can rotate out of the way is really slick and actually the materials used to make the arms and mounting is really nice but the mirror housings themselves are thin stainless steel; they feel like it will crease if I’m not careful when tightening down the acorn nut on the head.

I wound up spending about $140 for the pair including shipping and the special adapters for my bike. $140 is way too much to spend on poor quality control and sloppy manufacturing – it’s just unacceptable in my opinion.

I sent them an email today outlining my main concern about the rough edges on the mirror housing; we’ll see if they respond.

Apparently you're not the only one this has happend to.

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/196328-halcyon-mirrors.html

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
older post i see but looking about the napolean bar end my buddy gave me to try + finding out my 2018 T120 bars are NOT open to fit that style i found the halcyons that look great + have a fitment for me i may give them a go. for inspection in Pa only one is required but a pair just looks right. i never considered bar end mirrors but setting on my friends classic bevel drive Duc as he noted that style just works!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts