Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:(
Based on the Halcyon web site photos and talk about them on this forum, I ordered a set of the Halcyon 820 bar end mirrors. I was really excited when they finally arrived only to be very disappointed when I opened up the box. The packaging was great and the mirrors were wrapped up really nice but once I took a good look it was clear that my idea of quality is different than theirs. The biggest issue is that the rim around the glass is not finished at all; it’s very rough and jagged, like they just didn't bother to finish the job (see photo). The edge is sharp enough that if you're not careful you could cut yourself (not to mention that the edges catch on the towel when you try to clean the glass). Additionally there is a fairly good size gap between the housing and the black plastic that keeps the glass in place (which isn't glass...at least it doesn't feel/sound like glass, but it is fairly clear, even at speed; not much vibration)

They do have a rather slick bar-end mounting specifically for the new Bonneville that threads right into the bars and holds nice and tight. The issue though is that one of the machined dovetail joints wasn’t very accurate so I had to take a small finishing file and clean up the joint on the bar end portion. Not difficult or time consuming but there is no reason it wasn't correct at the factory.

The adjustment is not all that convenient either; to move the head you need a 10mm socket which means there is no adjustment while riding to fine tune. The way that they can rotate out of the way is really slick and actually the materials used to make the arms and mounting is really nice but the mirror housings themselves are thin stainless steel; they feel like it will crease if I’m not careful when tightening down the acorn nut on the head.

I wound up spending about $140 for the pair including shipping and the special adapters for my bike. $140 is way too much to spend on poor quality control and sloppy manufacturing – it’s just unacceptable in my opinion.

I sent them an email today outlining my main concern about the rough edges on the mirror housing; we’ll see if they respond.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Whoa. i can understand your concern. I'd ask for a refund or replacement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have some of the round bar ends on order at the moment so I'll let you know how they compare when they arrive. The feedback on them always is very positive so I wonder if you just got a bad batch.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sorry to hear about your negative experience. The Halycons are generally considered to be a quality product. I hope that they send you replacements.

Having plastic mirrors on bar ends was a major concern for me. As was spending minimum $150 for a quality set. Actually closer to $200 (CRG, LSL, etc); that's a fifth of the way to new FCRs! I decided to take a chance on a $20 set from VeeBay, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the aluminum work and that they use actual glass for the mirrors. The cost me $24 delivered and came with all te adapters for both 7/8 and 1 inch bars.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I'll let you all know if they reply to my email and what they say when they do. I really like parts of these mirrors; specifically the way they mount to our bars but those edges really bother me every time I look at them. Feedback has always been positive which made this issue surprising.

Bobajobbob: Please post back when yours come in; I'm really interested to hear about them.

monks_point: Do you have a link to the mirrors you purchased?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Response from Halcyon

:) Very positive response:

From: Support - Halcyon Classic Parts [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:18 AM
Subject: Re: order number XXXX

Hello,

Very sorry about the mirror you have received, it does look awful from the picture you have provided. This was a mirror that shouldn't have been dispatched from our factory, the quality of products dispatched is very important to us.

From what i can see, I'm pretty sure you maybe correct, this seems to have missed the final process and the mirror obviously wasn't checked for quality unfortunately..

I see on the order that you have received 2 mirrors? Is the other one also like this? We would be very interested to have this mirror back, as this is a strange occurrence ((We are usually quite vigilant on quality)) If you was to return the product to our address, I'll give you a full refund on returning postage costs ((Please use a standard shipping service)).

I'll be passing this information on and I'll contact you again as soon as i can, I will prepare to dispatch a brand new mirror to your delivery address in the mean time.

Very sorry for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

Liam

·
Registered
775 Posts
Looks good, perhaps you brought an issue to their attention that they weren't previously aware of; or so they say.

Let us know how the replacements look as far as quality is concerned.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Awesome reply from them thus far.

I don't have a link, but if you search for "CNC bar end mirrors" you'll get to them. There are plenty if vendors selling the same product. I didn't retain a link; I deleted it after I got the mirrors and was happy with them.

I did a quick search. I think these are some thing you'll be interested in. They're not the style I bought; mine have one joint only (so no moving them out of the way quickly for me):

·
Registered
543 Posts
These are the same as what I purchased- though I don't recall if it was from this particular vendor. Also, mine came with adapters for 1" bars. I know it says acrylic glass as did mine (but they sure don't look like plastic based- more like typical silicon glass with the same nice quality).

http://bit.ly/KOxHdZ

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Surprised they allowed that one get by. Must have been having a bad day in their QC dept when that one passed inspection. I ordered a pair of round 830s years ago, and the quality was excellent. Glad they're genuinely concerned about the mirror they sent you, and I'm sure they'll do a better job on the next one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just got my 830's, and couildn't be happier.
Same here, though had them for a tad longer. I liked the way you can follow your order online, and if there seems to be a delay or problem, you can "chat" to them online. Liam sorted me out as well, a hold up with the mirror adapters, chased up and posted on asap.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

Halcyon and Liam has been absolutely great. I sent him the mirrors back today and he is sending me out a new set as well as a refund on one mirror and the cost of the shipping for me to send them back. Over and beyond as far as I'm concerned.

I'll update again once I receive the new items.

·
Registered
87 Posts
vistavette,
I'm happy to hear Halcyon sound like they are coming through behind their product for you. I got the 830 bar-end mirrors for my T100 about a year ago and they were top-drawer quality. I've been really pleased with them and talked them up. The lack of adjusting on the go was annoying at first, but I got them set correctly and they have been rock solid since. I was very surprised by your OP. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vistavette,
I'm happy to hear Halcyon sound like they are coming through behind their product for you. I got the 830 bar-end mirrors for my T100 about a year ago and they were top-drawer quality. I've been really pleased with them and talked them up. The lack of adjusting on the go was annoying at first, but I got them set correctly and they have been rock solid since. I was very surprised by your OP. Keep us updated.
Thanks. Ill update as soon as I have more information

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
160 Posts
My bar end mirrors arrived today and were both beautifully packed and also very well finished. They look and feel like a quality product that I will be very happy to put on my bike. It sounds like you were just unlucky and your mirror/s slipped through quality control.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Final update:

Got the new mirrors - They are a lot better than the set I sent back and look great on my bike...

For me however the big deal is how awesome Liam at Halcyon was to deal with. Honestly; I sent an email to them not expecting a lot but he went over and beyond; he wound up reimbursing me for the postage to mail them back as well as the cost of one mirror - I would have been okay with just new mirrors and postage. He did this without me asking for anything. His response time was terrific; made me feel totally at ease doing business with a company overseas. The service alone is worth it. I can not say enough good things about him or the company.

Today it seems that the phrase "customer service" is a fictitious fantasy word that only exists to define what it isn't. Liam proves that theory wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts