Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am fitting Hagon springs to my Tiger carb model. the instructions state that if the springs extend out of the forks then disgard the spacers. My forks are sitting just below the top of the springs so that I can easily tighten the fork nut without any pressure but if I insert the 100mm spacers then the difference is considerable as you can imagine.
Which is correct. I've also e-mailed Hagon but I thought I would get a reply from here in time to finish the job this weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
When I installed my progressives, I changed the length of spacers about four times. Don't just follow the directions, do it so the preload is exactly what you want. The front-end dive that Tigers are notorious for is something the spacers can cure for the most part. Too long, and the ride will beat you up. Too short and you feel like the front cowl will hit the street under hard braking! Mess about and do what's right for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bill, thanks for the reply. Can you remember what length you finished at. I reckon that about 30-50mm will recreate the amount of pressure the fork screw was under on full extension when I undid it.
I've got another problem now. I want to take the headers off to paint or chrome them but two of the nuts into the head are so corroded they don't even resemble 13mm. A combination of our lovely English weather and the previous owner not cleaning the bike before storing it for 6 years. Am going to try mole-grips or a bolt splitter.
thanks, Les

·
Registered
240 Posts
I want to take the headers off to paint or chrome them but two of the nuts into the head are so corroded they don't even resemble 13mm. A combination of our lovely English weather and the previous owner not cleaning the bike before storing it for 6 years. Am going to try mole-grips or a bolt splitter.
thanks, Les
Soak in penetrating oil or similar and leave. Assuming there's room, then try a hex socket (rather the usual bi-hex socket) and an impact driver. A bi-hex socket will just round off a nut like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chazzy,
I've been soaking them all week in preparation for the weekend (ooh err missus!) but they were the only ones that were turning without loosening. But get this, they are 12mm whilst all the others were 13mm. eh!!!!
Anyway, got them off now and have painted the pipes. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and by they way Bill, what air gap did you leave. Hagon reckon 170mm but stock gap is 130mm. Thanks again, Les

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My spacer was somewhere between 50 and 70, but that's just a guestimate. I left the stock airgap of 130. I used PVC for the spacer with a steel washer on each end. Easy to work with and plenty stout!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bill, thanks for that info. Please see reply from Hagon attached. Was your Tiger a carb model as mine.

------------------------------------

Hello and thank you for your enquiry.

For your application discard the spacers, as the fork tops will give
sufficient preload to the
fork springs provided.

Regards

Hagon Sales Team

------------------------------------

Not sure what to do now!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Chazzy, something extra on the headers. Five of the studs came out with the nuts attached but on one awkward sod the nut screwed off leaving the stud in and solid. I wanted it out cos they are all so corroded they look crap. Chewed on for a while until my mate gave me a stud remover. What a brill tool. Will propably never need one again but I'll have to have one.
Does anyone have any views on replacing with stainless studs instead?
Les

1 - 10 of 10 Posts