Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to drop a set of hagon progressives into my tbird, but see that they are actually an inch or more shorter than the stock ones. Is this right? The paperwork from hagon all looks correct. Been in consultation with and scanned the threads for all information from you guys about the upgrade, but noone has mentioned the difference in length before. I just want to check...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did they give you any plastic or PVC spacers to put on top of the springs to take up the slack?
I've had to do that on other bikes in the past when upgrading front springs. Haven't done my tbird yet.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought the springs alone, not the kit. I've been discussing the spacer length side of things with others here to get ideas on the ideal setup with the hagon springs (and a set of ricor intiminators), but the subject of the actual spring length never came up. Just wondering if the dealer has accidentally sent me the wrong ones... As a guesstimate, I'd say that springs + intimators is going to about equal the stock springs (give or take 10mm!).

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the guy at hagon gave me the length (460mm), which mine are, and offered that the shorter length (stock is 480mm) might be to quicken up the steering by effectively lowering the forks by 20mm.

The intiminators are 45mm. So with stock spacers still in place, I'm looking at a 25mm increase in overall length. So, I'm wondering if simply using a spacer that's 25mm shorter isn't a good place to start(?) I can't visualize any reason why I'd be getting myself into trouble by doing this, anyway, as long as I account for the thickness of the spacer walls - unless it will simply leave too little air space (I'm conscious of Ssevy's feedback). Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The springs fit over the Intiminators, so the extra height is more like 12mm not 45mm. Yes, the Hagon springs are shorter, but it doesn't seem to make much difference in practice. I've had sag in a reasonable range with stock spacers & now have spacers 10mm shorter which work a little better on the bumpy roads round here. (This is with Intiminators fitted.)

You don't say what your weight is, but if you are around 160 lbs +/- 10lbs, the stock spacers are probably a good place to start & work from there.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course! I was looking at the total length of the intiminator. One of those moments.:rolleyes: Anyway, given I can't seem to find 37mm steel or poly pipe around here, I'll try the stock spacers first. Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts