Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted the Hagon Progressive Fork Springs to there Thunderbird?
If so, what's the verdict.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Crusader, I have just fitted them to the Daytona forks I put on my TBS. I can't tell you how they perform but I can tell you they are very easy to fit!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-11-12 08:16, paulel wrote:
Hi Crusader, I have just fitted them to the Daytona forks I put on my TBS. I can't tell you how they perform but I can tell you they are very easy to fit!
:) :???: can you let me know your thoughts when you have some idea - thanks

larry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately it's going to be another 3 weeks before I get to ride it!!!!! My seat is being reupholstered by a French company and it's taking a lot longer than anticipated, so all I can do at the moment is look at my bike and wonder what it will feel like with the new wheels, forks, springs etc. I will let you know as soon as possible

·
Registered
411 Posts
My Thunderbird need suspension so I will be watching for your update as well.

Don't forget!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-11-12 08:16, paulel wrote:
Another thing on these fork springs - the guy who can supply them to me states that the fork oil is to 10w and not the normal 15w.

What oil did you use??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I fitted them to my 96 Adventurer. They needed a different spacer at the top as they were shorter . I used a 50mm steel tube as a spacer. I also saw the 10w oil recommendation. My recommendation is to ignore that . I have found that 20w oil and 120mm air space works well. I am 90kg and have a Harrison 6 pot at the front . It still dives under braking but much less due to the Hagon shock at the back - that controls the dive just as much as it stops the rotation around the polar moment . - or whatever its called . My suggestion is to both at the same time. The std shock is err shocking compared to the Hagon one .

·
Registered
540 Posts
I too have Hagon springs.Hagon rear suspension unit and Harrison 6 pot caliper.They are all worthwhile improvements.The springs are the cheapest and therefore most cost effective option.Ride quality is much improved.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ordered my springs direct from Hagon and they advised 7.5 oil as used in the 900 Daytona. I called the guys at Hagon a couple of times (I'd never changed springs before) and I found them very helpful and knowledgeable. The supplied spacer to be just right for my forks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, further to my original post, i've been running the hagon progressives for a while now.
initial problems were a terrible speed wobble at 145k/h.

i spoke to a triumph guru here in melbourne (this guy is a Thai national, but has ppl who send their trumpys from all over Aus for servicing). anyway, he told me to change out the oil to 15 sae with 100mm gap - made a world of difference to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Crusader,

I'm really impressed with the handling of my bike but as I changed so many parts I'm not sure what it's down to. We are in the middle of winter here and although it's been a very mild one, I still haven't been out for a real blast yet. I've had it up to just over 80 (mph) without any problems. All in all I'm REALLY pleased with the handling, it's a huge improvement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was at just under 90mph that i started having problems with the hagon spec oil weight and air space.
Up untill that it was perfect, but after that it developed an increasing speed wobble - real scary

·
Registered
590 Posts
On 2007-01-15 15:38, Crusader3020 wrote:
well, further to my original post, i've been running the hagon progressives for a while now.
initial problems were a terrible speed wobble at 145k/h.

i spoke to a triumph guru here in melbourne (this guy is a Thai national, but has ppl who send their trumpys from all over Aus for servicing). anyway, he told me to change out the oil to 15 sae with 100mm gap - made a world of difference to it.
Ahh so you have met Charlie, a nice guy. He sorted my forks about two years ago.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On 2007-01-17 07:10, paulel wrote:
Hi Crusader,

Sorry if I missed it earlier but is your bike standard?
Its a 1996 Thunderd. Only 'mods' are a K&N air filter, replaced manifold rubbers and sports mufflers but no rejetting. Apart from that the Hagon rear mono and front progressives are the only mods. I've also had the seat refoamed, not that it improves it a lot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On 2007-01-17 05:57, WoodsieIII wrote: Ahh so you have met Charlie, a nice guy. He sorted my forks about two years ago.
Bike's in at Charlie's right now getting a major service. He's a character isn't he, but know his stuff. Also not cheap.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think when you consider that he actually does what you pay him for, unlike a few dealers I could name. The price is pretty reasonable. If I could afford it I would ride down just to get him to do my 90,000klm service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts