Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'm heading out on a 2 week, 6,000 mile trip on the bike. Imagine my panic when this past Monday when I noticed oil on the alternator cover and seeping from a couple of it's bolts. I did some investigation online and found that some people's bolts were loose and at least one other person's output shaft seal was shot.

Anyways, long story short, it was the gasket. But, the telling thing was what the mechanic said when I talked with him. Paraphrasing, he expressed his frustration saying, "every bike that comes in here for it's 600 mile service has loose bolts!"

So, I mention it to say, I had an oil leak and it was the alternator gasket. And also to say, check your bolts. I know when I checked mine before bringing it to the shop, 1/3 of them were considerably loose (like 6Nm instead of 10Nm).

Reactions: morkys

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been fighting that leak for over two years now. Had the stator and gasket replaced twice while it was under warranty and when I went back a third time after the warranty had run out the dealer said that it happens on a lot of these bikes.

Mine drips maybe one drop after each ride onto the coolant hose below the cover as the engine cools. I haven't noticed any oil travelling from the wind during a ride but I do check the oil often and it's not going down so I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

My fiancé's R has some vapor leaks around the gasket but nothing is dripping yet. I wonder if the 'new' Street Triple we've seen in leaked photos has a redesigned gasket/stator grommet.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Don't know what it is with triumph and tightening things, my Daytona was the same, most of the engine case and sump bolts were slightly loose but then you put the bike in for a service and they tighten up the oil filter so much that you have to punch a screwdriver through it ?

Reactions: Kraxmel

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
Don't know what it is with triumph and tightening things, my Daytona was the same, most of the engine case and sump bolts were slightly loose but then you put the bike in for a service and they tighten up the oil filter so much that you have to punch a screwdriver through it ?
Sorry...I know that's frustrating and imbecilic, but it made me chuckle.

Reactions: Kraxmel

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been fighting that leak for over two years now. Had the stator and gasket replaced twice while it was under warranty and when I went back a third time after the warranty had run out the dealer said that it happens on a lot of these bikes.

Mine drips maybe one drop after each ride onto the coolant hose below the cover as the engine cools. I haven't noticed any oil travelling from the wind during a ride but I do check the oil often and it's not going down so I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

My fiancé's R has some vapor leaks around the gasket but nothing is dripping yet. I wonder if the 'new' Street Triple we've seen in leaked photos has a redesigned gasket/stator grommet.
Well, I told the dealer very plainly, "If this thing is going to cause me problems, I'm getting rid of it." He was shocked and tried to said things happen. To which I replied, "My Yamaha never had any problems." And, then I smiled.

I really have no desire or plans to get rid of the bike, but it is disappointing. I had a small coolant leak at 600 miles too. I do believe these bikes are reliable and, for the most part, problem free. I just like to do long trips and worrying about reliability is something I'd rather not do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the same leak. Dealer tried to fix it twice already, still leaking. I need to take it in again. It's frustrating but it's minor so I'm not too upset. The more annoying part is just going back and forth to the dealer to fix the stupid thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My fiancé just told me that hers is leaking the same now too. Seems to be the norm for this bike. :( Such a good bike to have a bothersome little issue like this.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the same leak. Dealer tried to fix it twice already, still leaking. I need to take it in again. It's frustrating but it's minor so I'm not too upset. The more annoying part is just going back and forth to the dealer to fix the stupid thing.
You have another dealer to take it to? Pretty obvious that one doesn't know what they're doing...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts