Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my luck ran out.

Four weeks ago, I missed a corner on my Scrambler, flew about 20 feet into a ravine and, thank God almighty, only broke my ankle. Missed a road sign and tree by inches. The paramedic (ironically a friend of mine) said later I landed in a trash heap with rusty cans and broken glass. I lacerated my back/shoulder that needed nine staples.

I've been riding 25 years and never had an accident or broken a bone in my body.

I actually broke my fibula very near the ankle and got surgery to install a plate and screws. It's doing fine, painless, and must stay off it for about five more weeks. Crutches suck!

It could have been so much worse.

Please, everyone, ride with proper gear ( I had a jacket that looked like a razor blade sliced through it, boots, and jeans. My helmet was pretty beaten up and I don't know what would have happened had I not worn it.)

I was riding too fast and lost control. Keep it within your limits--it's so much safer.

Again, it could have been so much worse. I look down at my leg in its boot and smile with gratitude.

I have given up riding. I vowed years ago that if anything remotely like this happened, I would.

I've got a Goldwing and a 1200 GS for sale. Not an ad--just telling.

Please be safe, ride within your limits, and wear the gear--at least the cursory stuff. It really hurts if you don't

I'm signing off now.

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber down,

Happnin'
Little Rock, AR

·
Registered
548 Posts
Geez Happnin, glad it wasn't worse. They say it's just a matter of time before such things happen to us motorcycle riders,and we can only hope and pray that we escape with minor injuries.
Good luck to you,and thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sorry to here you're quittin'....

If I'd taken that route, I'd have quit 30 odd years back.....or somewhere along the way, my last incursion with the side of a cell phone talking soccer Mom, in her SUV was in '00.

But :
1 broken nose
4 broken teeth
7 broken fingers
1 shatterred right wrist
1 broken shoulder
8 broken toes
3 concussions
1 ruptured disc
2 dislocated shoulders

...and I'm still cookin'! Oh, all that was over a 37 year span, 1 youthful over exhuberant curve, and 2 "left hand turners" in front of me....

On the track, I sprained an ankle once, and twisted my elbow....

But a lot of people are like that, and only you know your limitations and desires, we can only wish you a speedy recovery, and happiness in whatever your new pursuits are.

Me......feel kinda like a poker player that is "pot committed," I'm in the game till it's over.

Seriously, good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
4 broken teeth
I was tempted into getting a half-helmet, but after hearing about riders having low speed lay-downs and breaking only their teeth...I will stick with my $400 Shoei. Keeps bugs out of my face too. :hammer:

[ This message was edited by: KF6VGZ on 2006-09-29 16:39 ]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your kind wishes.

I respect every motorcyclist who hops back on.

Remember the Evil Knevil movie where he got on the bike in the hospital parking lot in a body cast and a nurse on back--and wrecked!

I've got two wee ones and a lovely wife, so I am going to minimize my chances.

By the way, the bike was declared totaled and the insurance company gave me a very fair price for it.

Thanks again,

Happ

·
Registered
683 Posts
On 2006-09-29 16:38, KF6VGZ wrote:
4 broken teeth
I was tempted into getting a half-helmet, but after hearing about riders having low speed lay-downs and breaking only their teeth...I will stick with my $400 Shoei. Keeps bugs out of my face too. :hammer:
Yup....back in the day(70's) open face helmets were top of the line........face plant on an asphalt street usually did a number on teeth and noses in those days..... I wear a Nolan 100E these days.

[ This message was edited by: kliff on 2006-09-29 16:51 ]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Happnin, glad you're on the mend. I respect your vow if this ever happened you'd hang up your helmet, buuuuuuuut, give it some time. You assessed the rider error that caused the wreck and have 25 years of good travels, let the pain and emotions settle a bit and then make the call. Your mind just became a believer that you no longer are 18 and bullet proof. Best of luck.

Kliff, reading your list made me feel like I was watching someone get kicked in the balls. ouchouchouch

BobW

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you're out of your comfort zone, it just ain't no fun.
As a skydiving instructor I had a few students 'decline'. I really respected those people - they made a decision and stuck by it regardless of internal and external pressure.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry about your crash!
I have broken my back, a toe, fingers, tore the skin off an arm, split my knee cap open, but will ride till I cant work the controls.
Most of the damage was dirt riding....

I still go way to fast in the dirt, and on the street, and I figure when I cant ride, life wont be worth it anymore.

Brett

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I understand completly. I told myself the same thing when i bought this triumph after not riding for 20 years for the same reason. I didn't want to re-live what i had too many times as a kid. But i came to a realization in the last year. All the accidents i was in when young were my fault. Stupidity. There are 3 reasons you will hit the pavement....stupidity, not being vigilent all the time, and other people who do stupid things. I realized the 1st 2 are controllable. and with my first bike in 20 years i've become a far more vigilent rider than i ever was back then. I believe i can remain upright by being so, but there is NO compromise. If you remain 100% vigilent every mile you ride and use your better senses theres no reason to quit. Other people are a different story. But again, in all the years i rode and 12 bikes i nver went down because of someone else. That was luck, but today it's much more than luck. I watch every driver like a hawk, even slowing to a crawl when someone is turning left so that i am at a speed that will allow me to stop should the bonehead turn w/o looking.

I believe you can ride safely if you have enough understanding of what will take you down and do everything you can to avoid that. Looking back of the probably 8-10 times i went down as a kid, not one of them wouldn't have been avoided if i rode with the awareness i have today. The incidents like yours are easily avoidable with that awareness. And those caused by others are avoidable to such a degree as to be negligable if you are ALWAYS ready for any possibility you see as you ride. Even the car accidents i have been in that seem unavoidable due to others driving wrecklessly were avoidable by being anal in your awareness. And realize that bikes are fun BECAUSE they are quick, and that if you ride in a safe manner all the time and don't make use of that power that a bike affords you and save those moments for moments/roads where you good sense tells you it's ok, then you'll be ok. Thats the key........ride fully aware and safely all the time and calculate every move, and leave those fun moments for when you are on open roads with no traffic, driveways, etc.

I certainly understand where you're coming from and i'm not trying to convince you to keep riding. But be aware that it really is your decision to a huge degree as to whether you will remain upright or not. You even said yourself you were being stupid and that you'd ridden 25 years incident free up to that point. My point is simply that with enough awareness and never deviating from that while riding, you can ride for a lifetime w/o ever kissing the asphault. I know people who have ridden all thier lives and never been down. But you have, and now you understand how quick it can happen if you arent aware 100% of the time. And that makes you much more likely to stay upright and you actually have an advantage over them. I can tell you that when i decided to ride again, the accidents i had back then have made me a far far far safer rider. the way i ride today i can say w/o reservation that had i ridden like this in my youth not one of those incidents would have happened. I know that for a fact. The chance you took that led to your accident and in large part was probably due to the fact you've never been down and didn't realize you had gone to far to remain safe. Unfortunatly, crashing is the best way to understand how not to ! Whatever you do, good luck to you and i'm glad you're ok.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
On 2006-09-30 01:43, Mecchanica wrote:
You don't know your limits until you exeed them. Take your new knowlege and use it to ride better and safer. I'm just sayin'...........
Yep, basically one of my main points but i couldn't find a way to say it so simply and clearly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.