Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Probably be posting a lot of questions as Ive recently bought a 1968 T100P, stipped down the forks today, not a pretty picture :( but I have in my hand H1654 dust excluder nut or shroud, its painted grey, was going to get it chromed, but it appears to have an external seem close to the top, hoope you can see on photo, which obviously wont look so good after chroming, question is, do replacement ones come chromed and do they have the seam, hope that makes sense

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
On my '69 T100C they were painted black (the chrome had been sanded off). Getting mine rechromed here in US was more (about 2x) than buying new chrome ones. New ones are available at most vintage shops.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Have seen them listed in parts, about £30 each but no photo's of them, I can get them re-chromed easily enough, but am just curious about the visible seam, especially after chroming. If new ones dont have this seam, I may buy new

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
These pics show original excluders for a '71 T100R, which were chromed. They have the seam.
Cheers :) Thats a really good link, much appreciated

I found pictures of new chromed ones & Stainless on the TMS website, not much to choose
Ill see how much pitting can be polished from mine and then make a decision

Thanks

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Having ground thru the paint has not done that piece any favors. In the future, use a paint remover if you are not sure what the finish was originally. That area will now have to be polished by the chromer and will probably not be pefectly round anymore. It's just a visual, but still.

Since those two piece are a permanently joined assembly, one piece machined steel and the other a sheet steel stamping, they were joined together and then chrome plated. So rechroming yours will have the looking just about like they did originally.

Another choice is to powder coat them in silver or black. Cheaper and will give the bike a unique look if you are not doing a stock resoration.

Last point is don't polish out the pits unless you truly know what you are doing. Let the chrome plating vendor do it for you. Just give him the raw parts.

A show chrome, aka triple chrome plating process can solve any pitting problems as they plate with copper first and use that to fill in the pits. Decorative chrome skips the copper step and needs a better looking raw piece to start. I doubt if any of the parts on a Triumph were ever show/triple chrome plated.

If you buy aftermarket, make sure you try to thread them on your sliders as soon as they arrive. I got a set on a restored bike that has one of them extremely tight on the threads. If I had purchased them, I would have returned them and asked for another set.

regards,
Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts