Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer with 1700 miles for $3000 off of the new the sticker price so I couldn't pass it up! Last weekend we had a nice 50 degree day here in S. Dakota so as I needed to get fresh fuel & stabilizer in the tanks I decided to do a comparison 50 miles for each bike. So I got suited up in my Olympia gear and eagerly hit the pavement.

Ok - I'm a little tired so I''ll keep it short but there really is no comparison. I should start by saying all these comparisons between the Thruxton and V7 Racer, if the Racer is a 5 and the Thruxton is a 6 then the Thunderbird Sport is a 10!!

I love my Racer, it's going to be a great bike in the twisties and it's so light and easy to adjust to. I especially enjoy the idle "ping-ping-ping" sound and the sudden easy throttle 1st gear lurch you get at the go. On the street it makes you want to be seen and that it does well!! The controls are feather light. WHen you stop at the light you can stand up and stretch forgetting it's between your legs as its so well balanced. I really need more time to give it a through evaluation but lets move to the TBS.

We've had a lot of bad weather so it's been a couple months since I have ridden. Instantly the seat, pegs, ergonomics, feel, and road handling reminded this Triumph may be the best bike ever built! I had taken for granted just how smoothly the TBS takes to sudden turns, traffic problems and especially that deep dive at an intersection taking a left turn from a dead stop. Then on the interstate you never want to slow down.. No end to acceleration!
I dont have a lot of twisties here so we'll save that evaluation for the spring..

But really the Guzzi V7 Racer and Thunderbird Sport are not in the same class. If they find the Thruxton is a close comparison then I would never waste my time with one of those. There's reams I can say about the TBS but I am just as excited thinking about the V7 Racer sitting here as I was riding it.. Owning these two bikes I'm thinking one shouldn't be allowed to have so much fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just a comment about the Guzzi V7 Boy Racer..
If it did not have number plates, had double discs, I'd be an owner.. and if they would improve their customer service and warranty system.

I like the Thruxton, but to me a Thruxton is a Velocette.

The double disc Triumph triples are a winner... too bad they discontinued these.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
MotoLiberty,
Your V7 looks pretty good without those #7 placards.
A Dart Flyscreen up front might be a nice addition. When the bike came out, and I've seen one at a few vintage bikenights, those number placards just made me want to vomit. How did you get rid of the rear placards that ruined the seat cowl? Is that an aftermarket seat?
I know the power is way down from a TBS, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a fun bike. I rode a Thruxton a couple of years ago, and it put a big grin on my face.
It's nice to have 2 bikes that press your buttons. For me it's my 955 Sprint and my TBS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Charles - Yes, the seat is stock - that's what it looks like under the cowl - there are brackets which attach to the grab handles. There's also the factory flyscreen which I had to remove for the dial kit which repositions the speedo & tach. There's a aftermarket faring and cowl/seat kit - A little pricy for me http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=56452
Saturday will be a nice day so looking forward to more "testing"!!;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Those V7's really are just pretty bikes. I think Guzzi hit the nail on the head with the looks. If they add performance I think they have a winning combo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Those V7's really are just pretty bikes. I think Guzzi hit the nail on the head with the looks. If they add performance I think they have a winning combo.
Yep,I think their one of the best looking bikes on the planet.

Respect to the op means I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually there are some pretty strong rumors about a leak there is one type of a V7 chassis featuring a 1000cc engine.. We'll have to wait to see. We've had some unusually warm days here and that's fixin to end Thursday so I've been getting in a few rides on the bikes. One thing striking to me is the sound and feel of the motor on the V7 when you lay on the throttle. Unlike the smooth electric feel of the Thunderbird, the V7 yearns to be shifted. Any excuse to get that low growl.

I can take apexes much easier. It dives right into the corners while the TBS I find myself forcing it a bit more into the tighter curves when needed. In other words I can dive into turns and curves at higher speeds with the V7 and not have to work so hard but I do get more satisfaction from the TBS in any situation..
I really want to try a Thruxton to compare.

One rider converted his V7 to a lightweight scrambler. (V7 Cafe).. Ill add some pictures of that.
Meanwhile here is a shot of the bags properly attached unlike the first photo - I wasn't paying attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
As a guy who has owned a TBS and a thruxton. I'd take the thruxton. That TBS always felt really top heavy. The power curve on the triple is so linear it lacked a bit of excitement for me. It never punches through just builds. Strong build but doesnt have that surge at a given RPM same thing with my sprint powerful as balls but that linear power curve was evident. The TBS was probably faster than a thruxton but it didn't ride as nice. The thrux feels more limber and plenty punchy once you tweak the intake/exhaust. I can definately attack twisties alot more agressively with the thruxton It feels alot lighter. I do miss the TBS it looked incredible. Should of definately kept that one for the lousy 2800 bucks i got out of it. I know this isn't a thrux vs tbs thread just thought i'd share my thoughts having owned both. Both are great machines and there certainly is no replacement for the sound of a triumph triple roaring through a d&d 3into3

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a guy who has owned a TBS and a thruxton. I'd take the thruxton. That TBS always felt really top heavy. The power curve on the triple is so linear it lacked a bit of excitement for me. It never punches through just builds. Strong build but doesnt have that surge at a given RPM same thing with my sprint powerful as balls but that linear power curve was evident. The TBS was probably faster than a thruxton but it didn't ride as nice. The thrux feels more limber and plenty punchy once you tweak the intake/exhaust. I can definately attack twisties alot more agressively with the thruxton It feels alot lighter. I do miss the TBS it looked incredible. Should of definately kept that one for the lousy 2800 bucks i got out of it. I know this isn't a thrux vs tbs thread just thought i'd share my thoughts having owned both. Both are great machines and there certainly is no replacement for the sound of a triumph triple roaring through a d&d 3into3
Brookland, I'm so glad you added your comments as this was exactly what I was looking for. A honest and vivid comparison of these two. Thanks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts