Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many riders, I always wear a proper jacket, either my old favourite leather or a textile with armour. But I often wear jeans and boots on the bottom half. I think that most people feel that the top half of the body (and the head) are more vulnerable somehow. And yet watching the footage of Guy Martin's crash at the TT yesterday made me think. For those who didn't see it, he lowsided on a damp patch in a fast corner (probably about 120 mph) and slid for probably 200m on his back and butt before stopping in the middle of a junction. He got to his feet and walked away, which was great.

But it made me think about what would have happened if he had been wearing what many riders wear in the summer. He wouldn't have had road rash - he wouldn't have had a butt left to have road rash on.

Food for thought, if that isn't a totally inappropriate phrase.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think you mean Scotsman Keith Amor, Guy Martin did have a big moment at the same spot but manged to stay on.

Andy.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevlar reenforced jeans with knee protectors? My pair are as comfortable as normal jeans.
I've had two pairs of kevlar jeans with armour (Triumph brand and Red Route) and both pairs have been very uncomfy, so I rarely wear them. The Triumphs were just not my shape, and the armour in the RR ones drags the jeans down round my ankles, or so it feels. Perhaps I'll try the RR jeans with the armour out and see. Thanks.

I think you mean Scotsman Keith Amor, Guy Martin did have a big moment at the same spot but manged to stay on.
Durr, of course. Thanks for the correction. I was reading something about GM just before I wrote the post and got muxed ip.

Makes the post header a bit meaningless, but hey.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I chuckle at the dolts wearing jeans and ankle high boots on the road. Do you folks not realize that the majority of asphalt surfing you'll be doing in a down will be on your ass, knees, and ankles?

I dislike pain, ATGATT.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
+1 on Hood jeans. I've had a couple of pair for several years and they are comfortable and well made, although I always wear Knox Cross armoured knee tubes and shorts under them (also very comfortable).

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,992 Posts
I've been wearing Bohn armor pants under my jeans. Yes, you do get sticky in warm weather, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to take. Armor in the knees, shins, hips, pelvic, and tail bone. Not as good as leather will full armor, but better than just wearing kevlar jeans in my opinion.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kevlar reenforced jeans with knee protectors? My pair are as comfortable as normal jeans.
Yes, my kevlar jeans are thick but cool in summer. I try to wear armor underneath, which does get hot, so drink lots of fluids and electrolytes.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Great thread. Any updates by anybody on new products now out?

I've had my share or more than my share of road rash and it is no fun at all. :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
jeans? eek. I always wear leathers as I've had too many crashes in younger years wearing jeans, resulting in loss of skin and flesh.

the problem I've found with any textile clothing is the armour moving, particularly at the knees - it's just not held in place firmly enough and will slip under impact. Kevlar lining is great for abrasion, but not for impact.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I was 18 I got hit by a car while wearing jeans, and my knee was ground down into the bone. I didn't have access to the type of protection available now.

I wear a pair of Cortech HRX pants for lower speed commuting when I need a pair of presentable pants at the end of the trip. So most days going to work etc. as can put those over dress slacks. They are a combination of leather and heavy mesh fabric, so breath a bit but still hold up well. They have CE armour that stays in place quite well. I crash tested them once at the track a couple of years ago, and they gave reasonable protection as I had no injury, but I stick with full leathers for serious riding now.

Cortech no longer make those pants, but I am keeping an eye out for something similar in case I need to replace them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Has anyone ever found any riding pants that are easy to take off? Most I have seen always work like normal pants which make them hard to put over dress slacks with causing a ton of wrinkles. This is what keeps me from riding to work on most days. Does anyone know of any that zip or snap up like basketball pants?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I've still got an older pair of cortech pants that have full length leg zips. Not quite basketball pants, but certainly easy enough to get in/out of depending on how far you unzip them.

Not wearing them these days as I pretty much wore them out commuting for a few years. I'm wearing a pair of A* now that only zips to the knee.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Has anyone ever found any riding pants that are easy to take off? Most I have seen always work like normal pants which make them hard to put over dress slacks with causing a ton of wrinkles. This is what keeps me from riding to work on most days. Does anyone know of any that zip or snap up like basketball pants?
I have a pair of Motoport pants with a zip in one leg up to the top of the thigh and a zip in the other all the way to the waist. You can get these on with your boots already on - takes 10 - 15 seconds at a guess. Also check out Aerostich suits - they are made to go over street clothes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also wear Draggin jeans for most of my riding. They are very comfortable and surprisingly cool to wear, even in the summer heat. The lining helps to insulate sun and engine heat away from your legs. For impact protection i throw on a pair of Dainese armoured shorts and a motocross style knee/shin guard. I wear leathers for my more high speed rides out of town.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts