Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some advice from people who have been there and done that. I've had my speedmaster now for 2 months and love it but, the gunfighter seat is in my opinion an absolute shocker. In the last week and a half I've ridden over 1400klms and each time after about an hours riding, I get a really sore butt aroung the tail bone area. I mean it gets so bad that I have to sit so that only the left of right cheek is on the seat just to get relief. Well, this has got to stop so I was thinking. Considering the Triumph summer screen gives a little bit of buffeting, what about if I get the low prifile seat like this one and then get a sheep skin cover or something for it that fixes my pain in the tailbone problem. That way maybe just maybe, I can have a more comfortable ride and, be about 2 inches lower (I'm over 6 foot) so the screen works better. For me I reckon it might just work but the seat itself looks like it may just not be that comfortable, but with a sheepskin or something? Has anyone got an opinion on what they think of this idea? :mad:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Can't help you, but i would think that seat would be worse with far less padding. To be honest i can't understand why you'd have such a problem. I feel mine is the most comfortable seat of any of the bikes i've owned. The only problem is that the forward foot position of the cruisers can make it hard on your butt and back because your legs are at more of an angle to your back. But even with that i find it extremely soft and comfortable. So i don't know what to tell you really. You may also benefit from good shocks, but don't quote me. Mine have made for a much nicer ride and they don't jolt you like the stockers can, plus they ride like you're on air. Could help, maybe not, but it's a thought. definatly nice to have tho whether or not they help with your problem.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I guess everyone is different. I find the stock seat very comfortable. Is it possible it's your riding stance?

The sheepskin butt pads do help but you may want to look at other options too. Good luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for those remarks and suggestions guys.

the shocks have merit definitely cos some of the back roads here have been giving me some bigs jolst making me think I'll experiment with the settings as a starter. Daz, can you tell me which shocks you got so that I can use that as a reference for future.

Matrix04, I really like the Corbin also and particularly as you can buy a backrest to suit. Now that would be great. I know you said you didn't have a prob with the original but could you tell me why you opted for a Corbin rather than say the Triumph single. I expect they are better padded or something are they, cos if so that would have to improve things for me I expect.

thanks again for helping me head in a certain direction

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
They're Progressive 440's. they're expensive at about $420 or somewhere round there. But they offer cheaper ones too that may be as good but just don't have thier IAS system. a lot of people like the Ikons, tho i had some and sent them back because the finish quality wasn't happening and the chrome was peeling. From what i've seen and read i think i made the right decision at least for me. They work great and really upgrade the bike's look making it look more high quality if you will. Well worth it to me.......it's your call tho as to what makes it for you. They really do give that rideing on air feel tho.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
excellent daz, and the 440's even have a distributor not too far away from my place here in Aus. So I expect they just bolt on and given that, all I then have to do is work harder for the cash. This bike is driving me insane but I love it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really liked the look of the solo seat on the bike. It does feel as if it has more padding. Also I occasionally have passenger and the pillion seat is much more comfortable for her.
FYI - check out Ebay...currently there is a Corbin solo seat and backrest for sale.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I call the stock Speedy/America seats showroom seats because that is where they are comfortable. They are tiring to me after an hour or so, and downright killers after a few hours. I bought an extra solo seat to re pad and cover, and traded it to someone for a Triumph touring seat. It is firmer than stock seat and shaped differently. Although I don't like the looks of it, I have to say the difference in comfort is dramatic. I also did away with the rear peg hangers and put the rear pegs in the exhaust bracket holes. On longer runs on the highway, I'll hook my heels on rear pegs to take strain off my back. When I returned from Barber a few weeks ago (about 5 1/2 hours one way), I was tempted pass my house and keep going.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Matrix04, I'll ask the ebay seller if they will ship to Aus. LT, thanks for that. I was hoping they were shaped differently cos I think with my butt, that may be some of my problem. Good advice on extended touring hints also re moving the passenger pegs. Now for ebay, mind you there are 2 other bidders but we'll see how things go.

tks guys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Firie why dont you contact either of the Moorhouse brothers in Bris (2 companies) they have great reputations for re-manufacturing seats at far less than a Corbin will cost you. The first URL is the younger brother (Andrew) and he responds quickly to email http://www.twowheeltrimming.com.au/ The second URL is the older brother (John), it's best to ring him, not very good with responding to email http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~maddoggy/

Prices are quite reasonable, very good recomendations from several Ulysses club members, and quick turnaround.

Cheers,

Cruser

·
Registered
403 Posts
On 2006-11-19 20:14, LT wrote:
I call the stock Speedy/America seats showroom seats because that is where they are comfortable.
And yet I've never thought of changing the seat on either America.

But then I may have more natural padding than you blokes have... :jest: :)

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
firie9

Consider wearing a pair of rowing shorts under your pants- they have a bit of extra padding in the tail bone area, and help combat the numbing.

Like these.

[ This message was edited by: tba-golfer on 2006-11-20 13:33 ]

·
Registered
685 Posts
On 2006-11-20 02:21, Cruser wrote:
Firie why dont you contact either of the Moorhouse brothers in Bris (2 companies) they have great reputations for re-manufacturing seats at far less than a Corbin will cost you. The first URL is the younger brother (Andrew) and he responds quickly to email http://www.twowheeltrimming.com.au/ The second URL is the older brother (John), it's best to ring him, not very good with responding to email http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~maddoggy/
Cruser
You are spot on about John, I sent e-mails but got no response.....

·
Registered
685 Posts
firie9, before you cast aside your stock seat consider modifying it. I didn't like mine because of the shape and how wide and large it was. Also it was uncomfortable on long rides so... I got at it with a saw, knife and sandpaper. Took the cover off and shaped the foam to suit me, then put the cover back on.

I am very pleased with the result apart from the seam which now flows to the bottom edge of the seat then back up at the rear. Nobody else seems to notice but I do because I modified it.

I was surprised that it now more comfortable ??? I cut away a fair bit of foam so expected it to be a bit tougher on the rear ( I was going for appearance). But it seems to fit my skinny azz better and is definitely up for longer rides now ???

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi there again, I am really thankful for all your suggestions as they give me options that I probably would not have considered. To Cruser, your idea is a beauty mate and along with the shocks suggestion which I would like to do down the track anyway and even the bike pants idea, I'm well on the way to solving a problem which at the moment is a regular "pain in the butt" :)

When I sort it out I let you guys know. By the way, I've said it before and will probably say it again but this site is full of like minded fellas who have already after a couple of months, given me some fantastic ideas and suggestions. Just another reason why I love my speedmaster.

[ This message was edited by: firie9 on 2006-11-24 15:45 ]

·
Registered
13 Posts
After 2 1/2 years and 26k miles, I just realized this week that I do NOT have the Gunfighter seat I thought was stock on the Speedmaster. Instead, it looks like the Roadster seat (on the Triumph site, better photos now online). Mine has the strap across the seat between rider and the so-called pillion end.

Go figure.

I find the Roadster most comfortable, though, but it took me a year or more to discover that, for me, the more comfortable place was up on the front of it. I find the padding deeper? Hard to describe, but i know for the first year I kept pushing myself back onto the rise at the back, whether to stretch my legs or comfort my arse, I can't be sure, now. But sitting closer to the tank, changes my reach to the pegs as well, and I have been very pleased at the discovery.

On longer zips I use the rear pegs, and therefore do slide back to the rear of the seat. But around town, I'm up front, using knee control (no knee pads on the tank). Definitely changes the bike's personality.

I still can't get over the fact that I have the Roadster seat, and not the Gunfighter I thought I had. (Unless they have changed them in the last year or so.) The early brochures touted the Speedmaster as having the Gunfighter seat. :cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gidday there Keith, mate thanks for the info but I'm not sure what seat you have, compared to mine but any difference would have to be good I reckon. To me, and I know others are fine with their seat (I have a skinny little bum) but I will be changing it. In fact I sold my canoe on ebay (my new toy made it obsolete) last night and with the money have just asked Corbin for a quote on the Classic Solo & Pillion for my 05 Speed Master plus 2 ovalbac backrests.This is the Corbin Website to what I'm afterYes I know, it is going to cost a bomb but I am serious about doing easy long trips and like you guys, we have a big country to explore. So to me, unless I can be convinced otherwise, this purchase will be an investment in long term cruising in effortless style and comfort. Now I could save a couple of bucks and not worry about organising a pillion arrangement for my missus, but she went for her first ride with me on the back of the gunfighter and loved it. Yeah, like as if she wouldn't but, I was concerned she was not sort of held in place right and just want her to be sorted so over time, she may want to be on it more than she currently thinks. Anyway, that's the plan and I know lots of great ideas have been suggested but I think Corbin might have this gig stitched up. So I was going to have to change the gunfighter anyway cos the pillion part of it is just a token arrangement. The other factors is that I recently had back surgury and the backrest is just going to be the duck's nuts. So that's the plan unless like I said, there are other cheaper but better alternatives that I don't know of.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts