Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would adding TOR's and NARK/removing the Airbox produce worthwhile gains? Ideally, I want a more robust sound from my exhausts and the added horsepower.

I understand there are more "open" pipes out there besides the TORs, but I actually like the stock look.

Are TORs too restrictive?

If I decided on this combination, what can I expect?

All help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you do this mod you can expect large breasted women to lust after you where ever you go . This is good unless your an old spawned out codger like myself.

Rick.................. :-D

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'd say that set-up will run just fine, with the proper jetting.
look on Jenks site for tuning notes on what size jets will be needed. Also, the guys selling the air box removal kits are approachable and knowlegeable on what works. Tell them your set up and the proper jetting will more than likely be sent with the kit
G

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have that setup and it really woke the bike up. You'll want to rejet. I'm running 42 pilots, 145 mains, two little shims on the needle. Bike runs very nicely, tho p'raps a little rich in the midrange. I'm gonna try going to a single shim and see how that is.

Pulled the plugs recently and they were just as they should be--light tan, no significant deposits, so if it's rich it's not hugely so. I might also try a fatter main just to see what it does to the top end.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My 2005 790cc has TORs, was rejetted (120 mains, 42 pilots), and had the AI removed. I'd estimate by feel about a 10% power increase when in the guts of the powerband. Exhaust note is nicely "crunchy" when cracking the throttle at medium RPMs, but still controllable by short shifting when I'm trying to be quiet (e.g. 6:30 am leaving my development.)

I'd say this treatment results in a mild but noticeable improvement in both sound and performance. However, if you're looking for spectacular change, this isn't your route.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I have been told that the TOR silencers are about as free flowing a set up as anybody elses pipes on the market. British Customs told me that they got little or no difference in power with the TOR's or their own pipes. The air box mod is great for letting the bike rev out much quicker and giving a modest increase in power. Dyno on the TOR, air box removal and stock carbs has been shown at anywhere from 60 to 65hp. No a bad gain. With the pipes, it seems to come down to what kind of sound you want from a stock engine bike. Some are much louder than others. I have the TOR's and air box and like the increase in sound. Not REAL loud. I just heard a set of Bella Corse Teardrop mufflers on a very nice Black Bonnie this morning and they sounded very good. A little deeper than the TOR's but not much louder. Now D&D pipes are very loud. I like the look of stockers or the Teardrops, keeps the bike looking more retro. The chrome quality of the Triumph pipes are real good.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Okay, I have had this mod now for at least one month. Where are they large breasted women? I may have to return mine to Mike at Bella Corsa if they don't show up soon :hihi:

On 2006-12-08 06:43, sharpshooter wrote:
If you do this mod you can expect large breasted women to lust after you where ever you go . This is good unless your an old spawned out codger like myself.

Rick.................. :-D

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
the man said you could expect large breasted women to fall all over you.
and, you expect to win the lottery...
I could expect to make some sense, anytime now :ppcn:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I like the additional sound of the carbs sucking in free flowing air under full throttle. Never heard that with the airbox. There is also a great pic of the TORs cut in two autopsy style with some 3d graphic work. It's added to my post of autopsy I did on a set of stock pipes. The TORs had baffles but were straight through.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey brown bomber I have a set of "Madaz" offroad straight throughs, they sound fantastic, look them up you will not be disappointed, Ozzie $ may make it worth your while, air box removal, heh, wadda ya wan, I am going to strip the snorkel, put in a decent air filter and an 18 tooth sprocket, give the "man" a jet and needle set and have it dyno'd. I reckon I will will pick up at least 15 comfy cruising kmh and a lot less vibration. cheers Luigi

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hey Sharpshooter,

' If you do this mod you can expect large breasted women to lust after you where ever you go . This is good unless your an old spawned out codger like myself.

Rick.. '

We may be old and spawned out, but we ain't dead yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.