Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started painting the tank and mudguards , got as far as the Astral Red and now need to start masking for the silver !
working from plans and dimensions downloaded from Rask Cycle via the magic of the ether driven internet
-- Need some advise on the mudguard stripes ! - the Rask info gives the front with as 5/8 and the rear as 3/4 -- )but states that in reality this can vary slightly )
my question is - are those dimensions the finished width of the silver ,or is it reduced by the final gold pin stripe going equally over the silver/red junction ?
-- anyone done this recently or maybe got some originals they can measure ?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Wol

After work I'll measure the fenders on my 70. They are original not repainted.

Regarding comment by Irish Swede he is VERY Triumph knowledgeable and is an AMCA Judge. He has judged shows with Lindsay Brooke. I have known him for over 4 years

K 😷

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
process so far has been primer -- filler primer - silver base coat - Astral red top coat - after masking i have silver for the "flashes" - then gold pin stripes - then i will 2K clearcoat
i am not a painter - just an enthusiastic amateur with some rattle cans -- always happy to take guidance (and gentle criticism) -- but if its wrong - its too late as i have used all my Astral Red - so no going back
(using rattle cans from RS paints -- not great ! )

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Wol
Haven't forgotten you got to move a few bits to get good measurements

For what it's worth on a 70 the Silver is shot OVER the Astral Red. Then Gold lined.
The Silver is a light coating not heavy as the Red. Done properly it will not leave a paint line. I have spotted in the Silver using Rattle Cans
A very good match for the gold in the states is Testors model paint take 2 bottles let the gold settle to the bottom. Pour most of the clear from both bottle's into a separate bottle and mix the 2 gold's together. If it is not to your liking add a bit of the clear back in. I assume since are going to Clear Coat your lining will be tape rather than painted

K😷

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If you take a look at the literature for the 70 models you will find Astral Red described as being a Metallic finish, therefore, unlike a candy finish it does not require a ground coat. I can post several examples of OE 70 tanks showing they were painted as K described. Also, for what it's worth, the factory always painted tanks all over in the darker colour first.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of info - so thanks for that !
the Astral red i have is more like a candy than a metalic ( gets darker the more coats )
RS sell it saying it must have their base coat -- the base coat is a silver with a light sparkle - its not the same as the Silver used for the flashes ,it is different or should be ! ( hope so but i havent tried it yet )
I will be painting on the gold pin stripes using some gold from RS recommended by them (not a rattle can) -- i intend to cheat and mask the lines then brush it on ( experiment first in case its a mess! - plan B will be gold tape )
undecided on whether to pin stripe before or after clear coat -- after may be wise ? -- what do you think ?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
GPZ
Take a 70 tank or fender with OEM paint and start hand sanding the silver flash or stripe then tell us what color you see under it. In fact the silver is so thin use some polish that will take out 1000 grit scratch marks and you'll go through it

K😷

Wol

Usually you stripe then Clear Coat. Just be sure what you are striping with is campatabile with the paint you are using.

K😷

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Wol

Got the fenders measured. I measured on both the silver stripes to be 3/4" wide. This was measured as some of my gold lining is getting thin enough to see through. When the lining is done (which is 1/8") approx I/2 of the liming is over each side of the silver stripe so this visually narrows the silver stripe. So wtih proper striping silver could measure at 5/8" exposed while if it was a bit to the side of the silver the stripe could measure up to 3/4"

I cannot say how 1970 tanks were painted but I do know later tanks were not taped off prior to the flash being painted. The tanks were painted with the color coat then a metal mask or cover was placed over them and the flash color was shot. Lastly the tanks were hand lined. There were masks also used on the fenders Triumph was a machine that had much handwork during its manufacture unlike its Japanese rivals Should you be interested pictures of some of t he masks are shown in John Rosamond's book SAVE THE TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE (my copy is on page 438.)

I looked at the Rask Cycle site ( hadn't been out there in a while) brought back old memories. Regarding paints I know who RS is and they have an excellent reputation on your side of the pond. I have never talked to Don Hutchinson many people here like his products. I did see another name from the past on the Rask Tank paint sheets that was Dave Quinn. Dave was among other things the US Craven Distributor (after the BMW Dealer in Rockford IL gave it up) and sold OEM type Paint for Brit Bikes. Now this was about 30/35 year ago and we had a long talk about paints. In specific I was looking for Spring Gold & Astral Red. He told me his paint guy gave up trying to match both Colors. One of the problems he had with the Astral Red was it is a metallic flake color and the correct size flakes were no longer available.

My apologies for the delay in the answer..

K 😷

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
My guess would be that since the OE type paint is no longer available a candy is the closest they could find. I had this colour matched from an NOS fender. The colour when new is quite different from when it has aged since the metallic particles come to the surface as the colour becomes bleached or buffed away.

I'll look for a better pic when I have a minute.
If you want really authentic looking stripes I can offer some advise on a much better cheat method.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks K for the measurement - thought it strange that the info i had gave different widths front / rear fender / mudguard so i will do both the same width

Redmoggy - yes would be interested in your cheat method for pin stripes - and i agree that maybe a candy is a closer match to the now unobtainable metalic / metalflake

the gold i have is also supplied by RS so should be compatible -- so i will clearcoat after pinstriping

·
Registered
71 Posts
First time in 20 years I have ever heard that...
Here is a pic of my all original paint 1970 T120R stock front fender. You can see the silver stripe has worn down on the astral red fender with the red showing beneath the silver stripe where the silver has rubbed off.

Appears the fender was fully painted astral red and the silver strip painted over it. Same as my rear fender and gas tank where the silver has rubbed down.

Best Regards,

Senior

Attachments

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for those pics - the original Astral Red certainly look more like metalic / metal flake than my efforts with the "correct" paint from RS

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RMCS - started masking out my tank for the "flashes" -- it appears that the dimensions i have from Rask are shall be say - flexible or best used just as a guide ---- lots of pics on the net -- all slightly different - any chance you could post some pics of your original tank showing the flashes --
maybe i think i need to copy the Meriden way of painting -- have several pints of best bitter then just go for it !

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You can save yourself a lot of trouble by applying a sacrificial clear coat over your red, this will protect the soft base coat from damage while you mask. Two or three coats and then wet sand with 2000 grit. Then you can play with your flashes to your hearts content and not worry. Do the same after you apply the silver. Once the clear has dried and been sanded, again with 2000 grit free hand your stripes with a brush and leave them to dry. Now take some three mm fine line tape and lay it over the stripe. Wipe the excess with mineral spirits or a little thinner ( a test piece with your clear will be helpful ). Wet the tank and check all remnants of gold have been removed and repeat if not. Remove tape ready for final clear coats. Should look like this

1 - 20 of 32 Posts