Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm discussing with local Triumph dealer on which one to get, GT pro or Rally pro. I'm 191cm tall (6'2 i guess), 46 y/o without much desire to go offroad, but will ride with my better half. I find Rally (especially in green colour) more attractive, but like adaptive rear suspension of GT (in black). Some issues with my back, so I need very comfortable motorcycle. Previous motorcycles Suzuki V Strom 650 (2107) and before that Yamaha TDM 900. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Sounds like the GT Pro would be the best fit. Have your better half sit on the back first to see how they like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main issue is that I live in very small country, so there is no stock of Tigers to try, or just to sit on them. They will order what I request. And with COVID restrictions, it is not easy to travel to bordering countries just to try some motorcycles. That's why I ask for thoughts. Is the GT heigh enough for me?

·
Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
191 Posts
Being 191cm, the rally pro might not be a bad choice. And the long suspension of the rally pro was more comfortable for me than the GT suspension. In fact, the only plus for the GT suspension was that you can electronically adjust it (and that is only the rear suspension). Not much added value as adjusting the preload on the rally is also easy to do.
I found the GT suspension to quite often hit the end of the suspension travel when going over speedbumps, even alone and with all settings on max (2-up with luggage, put on sporty).

Also, the riding position is something to keep in mind. The steering bar of the GT and Rally differ in size and position. And that is something you really can't take advice on from somebody else. What works for one, might not work for others. I initially planned on buying a GT but after multiple long test rides I found the combination of seat / steering bar not good for me (giving me real back pain). I ended up with the rally both for the riding position and the suspension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@MichielReallyPro I used to have problems with back pain on some motorcycles. Thank yoh for detailed reply, I will seriously consider RP to GT Pro. I also need to check price difference. :) So, on road, Rally pro is also very good?

·
Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
191 Posts
For me, the Tiger RP is very good on the road. Sure, there is a (little) difference with the GT when it comes to cornering. But that difference is not big and both bikes are more focused on touring than on real sharp cornering on twisty roads. Don’t get me wrong, they are both much fun to ride! It is just that they are a bit less sporty bikes than let’s say a Tracer 900 GT (which I’ve also owned).
But if (road)touring is your thing, the RP will be just as good as the GT version.

Btw, I’m 6’1 high. Just to give you an idea how my riding position would compare to yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts